“Cheaper Option, Perfect Location, Room for improvement....”
Review of Club Bali Mirage

Club Bali Mirage
Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Tanjung Benoa
Bali, Indonesia
“Cheaper Option, Perfect Location, Room for improvement....”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We stay in Bali a few times a year and on this occasion stayed for 2 weeks over Christmas on an all inclusive package. The Club Mirage is aligned with the Grand Mirage (see previous review) which is in the same location along the beachfront on Jl Pratma. It is clear that this is an older establishment, with dated furnishings, finishes and fittings. Upon arriving at the hotel and receiving a welcome drink, we went to our room to find it was a twin. The staff quickly attended to the same, turning the two twins beds into a large queen bed. There is a circle K directly across the road and we went over there to grab a few essentials, as you do. While the location of this hotel is fabulous, with beach front access, it is not as luxurious as some of the other hotels along this strip. The food was very hit and miss and, although we had the all inclusive package, we opted to eat out a lot (some of our favourite restaurants are located in Nusa Dua / Tanjung Benoa anyway). Every day the food is themed and, though they try, just wasn't appealing on a number of days. Also, while the all inclusive options include beers, they do not serve Bintang but instead have Bali Hai; usually not a deal breaker but something to beware of none-the-less. The cocktails on the menu are the only ones available. While Vodka, Soda and lime may appear on the menu I three different cocktails, they will not combine them into one drink for you; if it's not in the menu, then too bad. As with a lot of the hotels along this strip, it is bordered by a long strip of unused land to its right and, accordingly, if your rooms are on this side, you will be looking down at landfill. There is no free wi-if in this hotel and 24 hours will cost you about $20. However, if you only use an hour or two a day, this should last you quite a while. The pool is not as large as some other hotels, and as there is only one, be prepared to share with children, and as this is a cheaper option, lots of them. We had an enjoyable time, but not the one to pick if you're after all inclusive, child free, luxury....

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CJM101

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Dated establishment, smell in the room! A-la-carte menu is slap dash, take your chances as the noodles you get served you will see on breakfast. Staff are courteous and try but need supervision especially catering. No free wifi! Paid only. when we complained that even computers on offer x 2 were not even able to offer service we we were given free wifi! We were not on all inclusive package however plenty of places to eat. Also shuttle to Bali Collection which has great restaurants with live music.
Large pool which was great, right on the beach, good location. Right on the beach.
Average and adequate for what you pay.

Room Tip: Ask non smoking! Ask second floor away from pool to avoid noise at night from late night party swimm...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eamonjon
Bolton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2014

The club mirage is a small friendly traditional Balenese style hotel rooms big spacious and daily cleaned towels and bedding . The relaxed atmosphere sells this hotel for me you can be as active or relaxed as you choose to be no pushy sellers no booming music !!!!. The helpful staff who work hard to ensure your stay, is all you expect it to be giving personal touch with a big welcome on my return ( balenese dancing and a banner Thankyou ) . i am a returning guest to this hotel and have made many returning guests who are life long friends from all over the world . The chop sticks chinese which is available for mirage guest and gets the thumbs up for me excellent ;) The lobby bar for quiet nights over a cocktai or two again friendly dedicated staff with a bali smile. I have so many memories of this hotel all good and i will be returning again july 2014 ..... Thankyou mirage staff Susan Roberts England

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank suzanr2011
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I need to preface my review with the fact that I hadn't read any trip advisor reviews until the day of travel to Bali so I became worried and honestly expected the worst when the first few reviews that I read were basically telling me to avoid this place like the plague. I had originally booked to stay at the Grand Mirage (the Clubs 'newer & flasher' sister property), however wanting a holiday with inclusives and space but at a fraction of the cost, friends recommended the Club Mirage as an alternative which given the savings was good for me.

So here's the good with the bad!

GOOD: Transfers were included. The driver was waiting right outside the departure gate with our name on his sign, so made the arrival with four small children (ages - 2, 4, 6, 9) very quick and efficient. Check-in was quick and efficient, with the really delicious welcome drinks at 10PM amazing my children who's excitement was uncontrollable. Once the all-inclusive (AI) wristbands were secured we were escorted to our bedrooms. After a quick introduction into the rooms, the only thing I was shown (which is all I needed to be shown) was how to operate the in-room safe. I never had a security issue with my iPhone and iPad being left in the room charging as well as other items. The interconnecting rooms were spacious with all our children sleeping comfortably in one room and my wife and I in the other …. there was also a spare single bed next to ours for our 2yr old. Breakfast was brilliant. As long as I can have eggs and fruit you can't go wrong with me. The Chef would cook the eggs however I wanted so my usual of 3 X 2egg omelettes with bacon one after the other in the morning, fresh fruit on the side went down well … I actually think she liked the fact that I kept coming back for more :) Lunch was always served in the poolside restaurant which for us was great as we'd get out of the pool, dry-off cover up, have lunch and then return to the pool. If we weren't hungry during lunch service we would order drinks and the usual club sandwich and fries to our lounger and eat and just laze in the pool …. never having to sign a docket or check prices on anything was just an added bonus. Dinner was rotated between poolside and the restaurant. There was also the option of the Chinese Restaurant which we dined at on our first night and the food was great! We became familiar with certain staff who were really lovely and nice and often pampered over our children which was needed because there were moments they were doing my wife's and my head in so to have the staff tell us they were not a problem was really refreshing and helped us to relax more (even after making a mess and smashing a glass and just being noisy kids). One thing I observed with the Balinese people and staff is that if you are welcoming, interact and are pleasant to them, then expect to get that in return! I saw many people who were rude and treated them poorly and they were not shy in giving substandard service which even I agree with … treat people as you want to be treated which is why I worried when other reviews said they were not friendly. I think the persona you give off is what you receive. Great swimming pool with space for every guest! We spent a large majority of everyday at the pool which was what this holiday was all about - to do nothing!!!. Being the sister property of the Grand you are able to use the Grands gym, yoga classes and swimming pool if you like …. we used the swimming pool on our first day as my sister in-law was staying with her family so we caught up there. I could definitely see that the Clubs concept was taken to another level with the Grand as it's basically a bigger, flashier version of the Club.

BAD: Now I can overlook the fact that the hotel and decor is in need of a spruce and refurb but my biggest disappointment was the mattress! If like me, you have an amazing hotel-type kingsize mattress at home, you certainly want one when you stay away from home. Even an Ikea mattress would have been more comfortable! And apart from the obvious general wear and tear of the rooms, they were spacious, clean and comfortable. The air-con worked well … sometimes too well and I needed to turn it off to stop freezing.

NEUTRAL: Buffets can become a little tiresome in variety as dishes and food items can be rotated between meal services. Working and teaching in hospitality in Australia and understanding food safety and hygiene I was worried with certain produce being out in the open for periods of time and so I just avoided these items (i.e.. seafood) But otherwise the food was generally decent although being AI it's easy to eat a lot because that what you paid for rather than just what you need and then because there's a lot of rice and breads and starchy/carby food I've definitely put on a few kilos … now thats really Bad … for my body ;-)

Overall my wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Club Mirage as it was more intimate in size for our family and we didn't have to worry about our older two children going to the pool by themselves or to get a milkshake or soda every ten minutes. Would I come back? Actually I would and more so if they got new mattresses ;) My children loved it although my 9yr old is telling me we will stay at the Grand next time … with so many options in Bali it would be nice to experience other properties, but we shall see!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
18 Thank Aaron-Orupe
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 18, 2014

The hotel needs a bit of up-dating. The rooms were adequate. No free WiFi, but free use of their
computers although with only 2 available you might have to wait to use one. We were NOT on the
"inclusive" package so often ate at the attached Chinese restaurant which was good. The hotel
buffet breakfast was also good with plenty of mangos and other fruit. The swimming pool was quite big which was just as well because the water in the sea was none too clean.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea would be the best.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ritazell
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 18, 2014

This hotel is horrible! The staff are unhappy, unfriendly and unhelpful. The rooms are beyond tired and in need of a serious revamp. We were on the all inclusive package, however the quality of the food and drinks offerings was sub standard. The room we were initially given overlooked a dirt yard. We were given a new room as the first room had a dead cockroach stuck to the bath. We were told that the hotel is going to be closed for renovations - this would be a great outcome for this property. We ended up eating all meals outside the hotel. When it came time to check out, we couldn't get out fast enough. The staff have a penny pinching attitude and there is nothing fun or luxurious on offer here. The only benefit that this hotel provided us was joke value. We still have a laugh with our travelling companions about how bad this place was. Bali and Benoa offer some great hotels. This is not one of them. Do yourself a favour and stay anywhere except for this hell hole.

Room Tip: Any room that is not at this hotel would be a good choice.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank NeverHome3500

Travelers are raving about these Tanjung Benoa hotels

Reviewed January 8, 2014

my hubbie and i stayed at this hotel after several previous trips to Nusa Dua. Unfortunately we were not pleased at all. The hotel is in much need of a refurb but its clear that this is not going to happen. Really run down.. We were on the all inclusive thing and that didnt make it any better. The food was brought in from next door and the Grand Mirage, same owners from what i hear, but it looked like their left overs from the day before. They had some interesting dishes that you could tell were recycled. I ordered a watermelon juice and it tasted off or spoiled. guess you get what you pay for. Ill opt to pay extra and go back to the Aston again. I think having my previous experiences at the Aston with our kids ruined it for this hotel.. Might have been ok for a first timer that doesnt know any better. so glad we didnt take our kids with us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sol Beach House Benoa Bali by Melia Hotels International
Melia Bali Indonesia
Melia Bali Indonesia
#15 of 54 in Nusa Dua

Been to Club Bali Mirage? Share your experiences!