“My Worries Disolved”
Review of Club Bali Mirage

Club Bali Mirage
Ranked #21 of 27 Hotels in Tanjung Benoa
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I need to preface my review with the fact that I hadn't read any trip advisor reviews until the day of travel to Bali so I became worried and honestly expected the worst when the first few reviews that I read were basically telling me to avoid this place like the plague. I had originally booked to stay at the Grand Mirage (the Clubs 'newer & flasher' sister property), however wanting a holiday with inclusives and space but at a fraction of the cost, friends recommended the Club Mirage as an alternative which given the savings was good for me.

So here's the good with the bad!

GOOD: Transfers were included. The driver was waiting right outside the departure gate with our name on his sign, so made the arrival with four small children (ages - 2, 4, 6, 9) very quick and efficient. Check-in was quick and efficient, with the really delicious welcome drinks at 10PM amazing my children who's excitement was uncontrollable. Once the all-inclusive (AI) wristbands were secured we were escorted to our bedrooms. After a quick introduction into the rooms, the only thing I was shown (which is all I needed to be shown) was how to operate the in-room safe. I never had a security issue with my iPhone and iPad being left in the room charging as well as other items. The interconnecting rooms were spacious with all our children sleeping comfortably in one room and my wife and I in the other …. there was also a spare single bed next to ours for our 2yr old. Breakfast was brilliant. As long as I can have eggs and fruit you can't go wrong with me. The Chef would cook the eggs however I wanted so my usual of 3 X 2egg omelettes with bacon one after the other in the morning, fresh fruit on the side went down well … I actually think she liked the fact that I kept coming back for more :) Lunch was always served in the poolside restaurant which for us was great as we'd get out of the pool, dry-off cover up, have lunch and then return to the pool. If we weren't hungry during lunch service we would order drinks and the usual club sandwich and fries to our lounger and eat and just laze in the pool …. never having to sign a docket or check prices on anything was just an added bonus. Dinner was rotated between poolside and the restaurant. There was also the option of the Chinese Restaurant which we dined at on our first night and the food was great! We became familiar with certain staff who were really lovely and nice and often pampered over our children which was needed because there were moments they were doing my wife's and my head in so to have the staff tell us they were not a problem was really refreshing and helped us to relax more (even after making a mess and smashing a glass and just being noisy kids). One thing I observed with the Balinese people and staff is that if you are welcoming, interact and are pleasant to them, then expect to get that in return! I saw many people who were rude and treated them poorly and they were not shy in giving substandard service which even I agree with … treat people as you want to be treated which is why I worried when other reviews said they were not friendly. I think the persona you give off is what you receive. Great swimming pool with space for every guest! We spent a large majority of everyday at the pool which was what this holiday was all about - to do nothing!!!. Being the sister property of the Grand you are able to use the Grands gym, yoga classes and swimming pool if you like …. we used the swimming pool on our first day as my sister in-law was staying with her family so we caught up there. I could definitely see that the Clubs concept was taken to another level with the Grand as it's basically a bigger, flashier version of the Club.

BAD: Now I can overlook the fact that the hotel and decor is in need of a spruce and refurb but my biggest disappointment was the mattress! If like me, you have an amazing hotel-type kingsize mattress at home, you certainly want one when you stay away from home. Even an Ikea mattress would have been more comfortable! And apart from the obvious general wear and tear of the rooms, they were spacious, clean and comfortable. The air-con worked well … sometimes too well and I needed to turn it off to stop freezing.

NEUTRAL: Buffets can become a little tiresome in variety as dishes and food items can be rotated between meal services. Working and teaching in hospitality in Australia and understanding food safety and hygiene I was worried with certain produce being out in the open for periods of time and so I just avoided these items (i.e.. seafood) But otherwise the food was generally decent although being AI it's easy to eat a lot because that what you paid for rather than just what you need and then because there's a lot of rice and breads and starchy/carby food I've definitely put on a few kilos … now thats really Bad … for my body ;-)

Overall my wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Club Mirage as it was more intimate in size for our family and we didn't have to worry about our older two children going to the pool by themselves or to get a milkshake or soda every ten minutes. Would I come back? Actually I would and more so if they got new mattresses ;) My children loved it although my 9yr old is telling me we will stay at the Grand next time … with so many options in Bali it would be nice to experience other properties, but we shall see!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
18  Thank Aaron-Orupe

Reviewed January 18, 2014

The hotel needs a bit of up-dating. The rooms were adequate. No free WiFi, but free use of their
computers although with only 2 available you might have to wait to use one. We were NOT on the
"inclusive" package so often ate at the attached Chinese restaurant which was good. The hotel
buffet breakfast was also good with plenty of mangos and other fruit. The swimming pool was quite big which was just as well because the water in the sea was none too clean.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea would be the best.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ritazell
Reviewed January 18, 2014

This hotel is horrible! The staff are unhappy, unfriendly and unhelpful. The rooms are beyond tired and in need of a serious revamp. We were on the all inclusive package, however the quality of the food and drinks offerings was sub standard. The room we were initially given overlooked a dirt yard. We were given a new room as the first room had a dead cockroach stuck to the bath. We were told that the hotel is going to be closed for renovations - this would be a great outcome for this property. We ended up eating all meals outside the hotel. When it came time to check out, we couldn't get out fast enough. The staff have a penny pinching attitude and there is nothing fun or luxurious on offer here. The only benefit that this hotel provided us was joke value. We still have a laugh with our travelling companions about how bad this place was. Bali and Benoa offer some great hotels. This is not one of them. Do yourself a favour and stay anywhere except for this hell hole.

Room Tip: Any room that is not at this hotel would be a good choice.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank NeverHome3500
Reviewed January 8, 2014

my hubbie and i stayed at this hotel after several previous trips to Nusa Dua. Unfortunately we were not pleased at all. The hotel is in much need of a refurb but its clear that this is not going to happen. Really run down.. We were on the all inclusive thing and that didnt make it any better. The food was brought in from next door and the Grand Mirage, same owners from what i hear, but it looked like their left overs from the day before. They had some interesting dishes that you could tell were recycled. I ordered a watermelon juice and it tasted off or spoiled. guess you get what you pay for. Ill opt to pay extra and go back to the Aston again. I think having my previous experiences at the Aston with our kids ruined it for this hotel.. Might have been ok for a first timer that doesnt know any better. so glad we didnt take our kids with us.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ApeTata
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Thought I would give a bit of information about each ranking!
Service: Front desk staff were pleasant but unfortunately they were not very helpful. On one occasion I asked for a PowerPoint adapter for the room and was told that they don't own any. This wasn't true as my father had borrowed one the day before. There was a lack of staff around the complex which led to a long wait when asking for issues to be fixed such as overflowing toilets and incorrect bed fixtures.
Value: Honestly, there are a lot of places that offer the same thing for the same price. There was a group of 15 of us staying at the hotel and we all felt that they charged a lot for the age and state of the complex.
Sleep Quality: The beds were extremely hard and uncomfortable and a few even had springs poking through.
Cleanliness: The rooms were not clean. After checking in we were all eager to see our rooms and were disappointed to find that the floors were not washed. We could tell because of the dried patches of mysterious brown liquid everywhere. The bathrooms looked clean, however after a closer look this was wrong. The bath had a massive hole in the side and the area around it was mouldy. We all commented on the gfact that after a shower we felt dirtier then before. The breakfast area was clean however we did witness a few things that staff did that were not hygienic. These things included putting tongs back in the food after they had been dropped on the floor and also keeping the food uncovered and exposed to bugs and germs. They also used the same tongs for raw and cooked bacon.
Location: The hotel is located in a lovely area, close to restaurants and day spas.
Rooms: The rooms were a good size and were comfortable. However there were massive gaps around the doors that allowed large amounts of mosquitoes to enter the room.

The hotel does not employ a security guard for the beach so therefore at night, the hotel grounds are not being monitored. There were security guards patrolling other hotels so this made us feel uneasy to know that we didn't have one.

There was one incident that occurred that was absolutely disgusting and put us off the hotel completely. We had 7 rooms booked between us and one of the rooms had an overflowing toilet. After calling reception and waiting for awhile, two workers turned up. They fixed the toilet and then proceeded to clean up the mess which included toilet water that had back up, with one of the bathroom towels. It was appalling to know that they would wipe up dirty sewerage water with a towel that people will in the future be drying themselves with. The workers then walked through the hotel without disinfecting their shoes, which would have further spread the bacteria. We asked if there was some disinfectant we could use to wipe the bathroom down with but they did not seem to understand and instead said we could use some 'blue water' that the cleaners use. Hopefully the blue water was disinfectant otherwise I'm not sure how they normally clean the bathrooms!

After our experience we will not be staying there again and will definitely not be recommending this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Jem B
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Most guests at this hotel are on the all inclusive package so if you book just the room and breakfast you need to be aware that the drinks you have to pay for are not necessarily the best quality for the price you pay. The hotel is in a good location with restaurants and bars in the local vicinity - right on the beach - a good base.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julie B
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Nice place, good stuff, rooms are clean and big.
Food was good and everyone find something special.
Many atraction's - I loved massage's on the beach;)))
It was good experience to spent holidays on Bali in this hotel. We visited almost all island with good guy (recommended from reception), his name is Wayeen

Greetings from Poland