My partner and I stayed at the Aston Bali as a last minute getaway. We were looking for a holiday where we could chill out by the pool and relax with a drink in nice surroundings and that is exactly what we got.
We arrived quite late at night, so we couldn't see much of the surrounding area, however we were very impressed with the lovely entrance and decor in the lobby.
Since we got a great deal on a last minute booking, we weren't expecting too much, however it more than exceeded our expectations. Our room was lovely and big, with nice cool floor boards (although a bit buckled in spots), attractive decor and a massive bathroom with a huge bath. Our bed was two king singles pushed together which was great. The 'garden' view we had was certainly less than spectacular (the maintenance area out the back and a nearby roof), but we didn't care as we weren't going to sit on our balcony when we had a pool to lounge by. And I'd rather a big bed than a great view from the room.
The room was very clean and well appointed with towels, complimentary drinking water, toiletries and a mini bar. The airconditioner worked very well and the room was very clean. We had a huge plasma too if we wanted to relax and watch tv before bed.
As far as the quality of the rooms go, we were more than happy. We wouldn't call it perfect or the best we've been in, but then again, it wasn't a brand new hotel, it wasn't that expensive and we weren't expecting 5 star either.
As for the rest of the resort - it was lovely. Very clean (seemed to always have someone cleaning the floors and dusting the banisters etc), had very friendly and helpful staff and absolutely beautiful grounds.
The pool was fantastic with plenty of areas in the pool for different types of people to hang out eg kids, adults, couples etc with massage jets, pool volleyball & basketball, waterfall, swim up bar etc.
It was always easy to get a good spot by the pool or beach and we regularly had staff coming around to take our orders.
Just a word of warning - the cocktails can be very strong even for seasoned drinkers! Up to you whether you think that is a good or bad thing...
The beach wasn't fantastic, but coming from a part of Australia which has beautiful beaches, I certainly wasn't going there for the beaches. With that said though, I have seen much worse beaches in Bali (even at some of the resorts nearby) - ours was clean (quite swimmable) and only had the occasional hawker set up with little huts. Although it is not in the "gated" area of Nusa Dua which from what I understand strictly controls access to a resort's private beaches, the hawkers seem to be on their best behaviour and don't hassle you (and there is security keeping an eye on them). But I must admit I was more interested in laying by the pool.
The meal options for the hotel were fantastic. The buffet breakfast had some of the best omlettes I've ever had and there was a wide range of different types of foods. Not over the top, but enough to satify most people.
During the day you could go to the a la carte restaurant which is near the pool or order from a poolside menu (both from the same kitchen) from which you could always find something tasty. I highly recommend the balinese pizza for a yummy lunch.
At night you could also dine at the the al a carte restaurant or go to the buffet restaurant which had a different theme every night. We had some truly delicious meals there. To top it off, they have a fantastic local trio that serenade you at your table. They made every night we ate there very entertaining and they played and sang some beautiful music (you get to pick the songs).
And the other option was of course room service, which was much the same as the al a carte menu and arrived very promptly.
As for bars, there was always somewhere you could order a drink - the By the C Bar (very nice beachside bar and lounging area), the piano lounge, the restaurants, your deck chair, the pool bar etc
I must admit however, after the first day, we decided to upgrade to an all inclusive package and it was truly worth it. It included all you can eat from any of the restaurants (which actually weren't really cheap but typical resort prices) and room service, free mini bar stock up, free beer, spirits and cocktails (although not top shelf but included spirits such as Canadian Club and Jim Beam rather than their Bali Moon brand which they use for cocktails), free daily spa treatment (bliss!) or watersport and free laundry service (which was a great bonus). We very quickly drank, ate, and massaged our money's worth!
We stayed for 7 nights and had a fantastic time. We ventured out a few times on a tour somewhere or to go shopping in Kuta, but next time i'd probably be happy to chill out at the resort most of the time. The resort isn't in a particularly nice area, with the the typical filthy crammed streets, but it's 1000 times better than Kuta (just the smell of Kuta makes me feel sick). Yes, there are nicer areas in Bali, and there are flasher resorts, but whether you enjoy staying there depends upon what you are after and what you expect from Bali. It's not a shopping area, and it's not perfectly manicured like Nusa Dua (a bit further South), or tropical wilderness like in the north of the island. But it's a convenient location, easy to get a taxi to and from, great value and you can escape back to the clean serenity of the resort, gaze out to the ocean and relax in style after a day out and about.
We're definitley going again next year!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort This beachfront spa resort is an ideal retreat to escape, unwind and enjoy peace of mind. The resort's spacious and luxurious, 187 rooms and suites are decorated in a Balinese contemporary style and fully-equipped with modern amenities for uncompromising comfort. The hotel located only 20 minutes away from the airport.The property has four versatile restaurants and three bars serving Western, Asian, Italian and Balinese cuisine to ensure epicurean enjoyment for everyone. The resort features an impressive lagoon pool with a swim-up bar. A large range of water sports activities are accessible right on the private beach. At the Biwana Spa, skilled therapists are poised to restore harmony to the body and soul with a tempting array of massages, rejuvenation treatments and yoga classes. Celebrate a memorable customized wedding ceremony, experience romantic private beach dinners and enjoy the ultimate in indulgence and heartfelt service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Cancelon, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aston Bali Beach Hotel Tanjung Benoa
- Aston Bali Beach Resort And Spa
- Aston Nusa Dua
- Aston Bali Hotel
- Nusa Dua Aston
- Bali Aston Resort
- Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort Tanjung Benoa