“Decent”

Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Tanjung Benoa
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Decent”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

There are two types of locations to choose a hotel in Bali, the lively areas like Kuta, Legian etc and the more sedate or quiet areas. Aston is at Benoa beach, sort of an extension of Nusa Dua beach which is more on the quiet side. The main road outside the hotel at Tanjung Benoa, called Jalan Pratama has some nice restaurants all along quite close to the hotel. Also being where it is, getting to and from Kuta and other places around Bali was not as convenient.
The hotel itself is decent. The rooms facing the pool and the sea have a good view, and the rooms facing elsewhere not so good a view.
We didn't have any meals at the hotel other than the buffet breakfast in the mornings which was ok.... not too good. The bar was quite nice though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank percyvakil
AstonBaliPRManager, General Manager at Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us. Our goal is to treat our guests like royalty so we are pleased to learn that you enjoyed our pool and ocean room during your stay with us.

Grand Aston Bali is complemented with 4 great restaurants and 2 bars that serve you with the freshest ingredients in market. We dearly hope in your future visit, you will be able to experience our remarkable dining venues.

We will always be pleased to welcome you back for all of your future trips to Bali.

Best Regards,

Ian Cameron, General Manager at Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Lovely front pool and ocean views from the deluxe ocean view rooms. The rooms are complete with minimal Balinese furnishing. Sit near the bar to get the 'best' WIFI signal, but just be prepared that it drops out every other few mins. Light surfing is fine but good luck if you're working from your laptop. Overall, the hotel serves a good comfortable place to chill out but there's definitely room for improvement in terms of service..or lack of. The front desk staff were lovely but I wasn't that crazy about being 'soft poached' on a daily basis by the rest of their own staff to use their outsourced services (note: non-hotel related) to tour the island. I got it from the hotel airport transfer driver, the Kuta shuttle bus driver, the masseuses, waiter, etc. I'm sure they meant no harm but it got a bit tiring after experiencing it 7 days in a row. Food was a bit blah... trust me, there's better food outside the hotel.

Room Tip: The bare minimum that one should ever select in this hotel is the Deluxe Ocean View Room. You'll...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
AstonBaliPRManager, General Manager at Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear valued guest,

What a pleasure for me to learn that you had wonderful Balinese experience with us.
In regards to our internet facility, please kindly be informed that there is current project to install better Wi-fi access throughout the resort and hopefully by the end of March, the guest will be able to enjoy this benefit.

Please accept my sincere apology if some of our staff were over on recommending various tours and attractions.

For your future visit with us, I am delighted to encourage you to reserve ‘free super saver’ program on our website which will give you with certain benefits including complimentary airport pick-up and foot massage.

Last but not least, I personally will always be delighted to welcome you and your family in the indigenous hospitality of Aston Bali.

Ian Cameron, General Manager
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Having stayed at this resort many times....I cannot recommend that anybody who is looking forward to a relax by the pool ....stay well clear!, I have seen more than a few people slip into the pool, from the absolute filth on the tiles and floor...its dangerous and unhygenic and this hotel should be avoided until they clean the pool...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sharleen O
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for considering staying with us. Our team is dedicated to provide you with our utmost services and facilities.

With regards to our pool cleanliness, please kindly be informed that we have assigned two full time job staffs who are in charge to clean pool. However, rainy season, as now, can affect chemical balance of the pool but it is quickly rectified by our staff.

Once again thank you for your recent stay at Grand Aston Bali. I always will be pleased to welcome you back at our property.

Kindest Regards,
Ian Cameron, General Manager at Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort & Spa.
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed March 9, 2013

After a long flight, you should really consider going to a different hotel. There was no wow factor we were looking for. The staff are friendly but they are also not sure what really to do and often stand around.

Even though we paid in advance for two weeks, we decided to spend several nights at other hotels in other locations. To get anywhere, one always has to take a taxi and the taxi on offer at the hotel rate is actually more expensive than the metered blue bird taxis available on the street.

There is music is all restaurants and by the pool and beach bar, non of which fits what people want, better to turn the music off all together.

We won't be staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter_Zurich_UK
AstonBaliPRManager, General Manager at Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear valued guest,

I am very disheartened to learn that your visit at Grand Aston was not what you have expected. Please kindly rest assured that our department concerned will implement necessary action to avoid the similar cases to re-occur in the future.

In regards to our staff services, please kindly be informed that there is current training program in place to ensure that our team can provide guests with utmost professional service, in a consistent manner.

On behalf of the team, I dearly hope you will give us another chance to show you the truly 5 star resort standard of Grand Aston Bali.

I will always be please to welcome you back in our property.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

The staff is in need of serious training. I'd say that during my stay the service was the worst that I've ever received in any hotel around the world. Specially considering that Balinese people are so friendly and helpful. I seriously don't know what's happening in this resort.

The swimming pool is indeed dirty as some other reviews pointed out. You walk around it and there's dirty on the bottom.

The rooms have nice furniture but tub was dirty and door was bend in such way that the top doesn't close properly.

I enjoyed the water sports right in front of the hotel but it also means a constant jet ski engine noise while you are at the beach or swimming pool area. If you want to relax, this is definitely the wrong end of the beach.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank CintiaFS
Dear valued guest,

I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in providing us your constructive comment on our Tripadvisor page. It was indeed a shame that you did not experience flawless services from our staff. Please kindly be informed that there is an on-going training program in place to ensure that our team can provide guests with utmost professional service, in a consistent manner.

Thank you for pointing out the details about our bathtub that can be our future reference to improve the effectiveness of our services.

I dearly hope your recent experience does not deter you from visiting us again in the near future.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Aston Bali is a fantastic hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. On arrival, we were met by smiling friendly staff and throughout our stay, nothing was too much trouble for them.

We were on our honeymoon and the great hotel and friendly staff made the memories even better. The rooms are big and spacious, the bed was very comfortable and BIG, the pool area was awesome and the close proximity of bars and restaurants make eating out easy. Also, the free shuttle service to Kuta is great, a real value adding service.

I highly recommend Aston Bali to anybody who wants to visit Bali, but not stay in the hustle and bustle of Kuta. Thanks for making our trip so special.....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ross W
AstonBaliPRManager, General Manager at Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear valued guest,

We are very glad to learn that you had a great time with us and enjoyed the all aspect of our resort. I hope Aston Bali will be your preferred resort in your next trip to Bali!

Ian Cameron, General Manager
london
Reviewed March 4, 2013

It would be unfair of me to judge every aspect of this hotel given that we asked for a refund and left within two hours of arriving but given that we had travelled to Bali with two children (aged 2 and 4) it had to be pretty dire for us to leave with no other hotel booked with all of our luggage hoping to get a room elsewhere having no idea where we were.
It did not start well. The hotel driver (who had picked us up from the airport) decided to open the 4 by 4 car door (road/drive side) on my 4 year old daughter when she had her back turned to the door as I had told her she needed to exit pavement side. This resulted in her falling backwards out of the car and removing all of the skin on her elbow. It was clearly an error of judgement on the drivers part but what was unforgivable was that he stepped back rather than catch her and then laughed nervously. She was obviously hysterical (she is 4, she was in shock and bleeding), it was lucky that there was no other car coming along the drive and that she was not seriously injured. The hotel and their staff did nothing other than offer me some dirty cotton wool and a bottle of alcohol to clean her wound. They seemed annoyed that she was making so much noise in their lobby. It was not a nice welcome and certainly not a good start to our holiday.
The hotel is seriously in need of some TLC, it has clearly had numerous visible quick repairs which give an overall impression of shabbiness and are not compatible with small children (tripping hazards etc). The pool looked filthy, as with the rest of the hotel it looked like it needed a good clean. I would not have wanted to swim in it. I was surprised as well that people were allowed to drink out of glass beer bottles in the pool. This was an accident waiting to happen and certainly not suitable for a pool with kids in it.
We ate lunch at the hotel which was slow, expensive and average. They had screwed the Ikea high chair tray fitting on to the chair base with screws which were rusty in the middle of the tray which a child was expected to eat off.
The real deal killer for us was when we visited the 'kids club'. The kids club on their website looks lovely - IT DOES NOT EXIST! The kids club in the hotel is a small hotel room (complete with dirty bathroom) with no windows and a few dirty toys. It is mainly a dirty sofa and two old tvs with lots of wires. It was the most depressing place. When I went back down to the reception and asked them where the kids club that was on their website was, they played innocent and asked me to show them what I meant. Given that there is next to nothing in terms of wifi in this hotel (they would not let me use their computer to pull it up) it took me about 20 minutes to manage to download it on my ipad. They then said, oh that one (they knew all along) - it has not been built yet. I asked to speak to the manager. He did not want to bother speaking to me so instead some lady came out and said sorry there is nothing I can do it is a mistake from our sales department and that was that.
The only positive thing I can say about this hotel was that they did give us a full refund when we said we no longer wanted to stay in a hotel that clearly had no problem falsifying information to get customers to stay there. I am sure that this hotel may be acceptable if you are travelling without children but this is not somewhere to go with kids.
We picthed up at The Westin who gave us an amazing rate on a huge beautiful suite and had the most amazing holiday ever there. You can not compare the two hotels and ironically given that we got a deal at the Aston on asiarooms.com the Westin suite was cheaper than their rack rate.
It is incredibly expensive to travel (particularly with small children) and we had not had any kind of holiday or time off for over 8 months as a family. I therefore do have high expectations and the Aston failed miserably at meeting every one of them.
Depressing hotel.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank axe71
Dear valued guest,

On behalf of the team, I am very disheartened to learn that you and your family did not encounter spotless stay with us.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenient occurred to your daughter. I knew our driver did apologized at that time but I am sorry if you felt his apology did not go far enough.
Regarding our kids club, please kindly be informed that within the next few weeks, we will start to build a new kids club with fabulous facilities to indulge our little star guests. We sincerely apology for misconception impression caused by our kids club images on website as it was not our intention.

Last but not least, we sincerely hope you will give us another chance to show you the truly standard of Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort & Spa.

Kindest Regards,
Ian Cameron, General Manager at Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort & Spa.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanjung Benoa
Melia Bali Indonesia
#15 of 54 in Nusa Dua
Grand Mirage Resort and Thalasso Bali
Sol Beach House Benoa Bali by Melia Hotels International

Been to Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort? Share your experiences!