“Lovely hotel but avoid the prawns unless you want FOOD POISONING!”

Sol Beach House Bali Benoa by Melia Hotels International
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Tanjung Benoa
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

You guessed it... I got poisoned by their prawns :-( We stayed here for 4 nights to end our 2 weeks in Bali 'in style'. The hotel itself is very nice. Lovely grounds and lovely beach. We stayed in a gold executive suite - amazing! on the gold all inclusive package with 24hr room service; just aswell really as I couldn't leave the room for half of our stay!

I made the fatal mistake of choosing the 'jumbo prawns' from the gold menu and boy do I regret it. I was poisoned and resigned to our lovely room for 2 days. I would have scored the hotel better if it wasn't for this unfortunate incident. The staff and entertainment team are very friendly. Food was good but nothing great and they don't do 'fresh juice' as stated on their menus; it's all from concentrate which is a shame.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Phill G
Melia_Benoa_Resort, Guest Experience at Sol Beach House Bali Benoa by Melia Hotels International, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Mr. G

First of all, I would like to apologize for the problem you had with the prawns, I'm sorry that this terrible incident have made your last days of vacation not been as good as expected, however, I would like to inform you that we did not have any report from other guest regarding the same problem with none of our food. Anyway, we will consider your comments and we will be more attentive, if possible, with the cleanliness and quality of our food, as part of Melia Hotels International we are following very strict hygiene process and procedures in food safety

In the other hand, thank you for your nice comments about the hotel and the staff, despite all, we are very happy to see that you liked the hotel, you felt comfortable in the room and you have enjoyed the all-inclusive gold, which is our best package. Also, we are glad of all the team who made your stay more comfortable.

Finally, we hope to have the occasion to welcome you again in our hotel, and thank you for your time writing this post.

Best Regards

Guest Experience

There are newer reviews for Sol Beach House Bali Benoa by Melia Hotels International

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Arrived with my wife after approx 18 hours of flight time and first thing i was told from the reception was that since i had booked the blue all inc and i was celebrating an important event if i wanted to upgrade to a better room better all inc package, etc. After i told him i that i didn;t he started sort of laughing in my face with surprise.

After that experience the hotel at first sight has that "zen" feel to it and it is very clean. We soon went up to our room using an extremely outdated lift (which was very run down) and then into our room. Our room has beautiful decorartion (see photos) and it was very nice, the only drawback was one the view which since we did not upgrade had a room over looking lobby area (so we had some privacy issues), bathroom was very old and bath mixers, drains ,etc all broken.

Food was first class and there was always something to eat apart from the twice we saw 2 baby mice, one in the garden area at the menega buffet (which was ok since it was on the garden) but the 2nd one was really unacceptable. One day whilst eaiing late at night at the el patio restuarant a baby mouse came running around the restuarant which caused hygene concerns for us.

On an other occasion pool and pool bar area was very nice even though it was a bit too quiet and entertainment do not really try to spice this area up, if they did it would be superb. Spa personnel close to the pool (spa being not of the hotel but subonctracted) are very onto guests and not very friendly and attire very dirty even though massage we did on 2nd day at the hotel was very nice and reasonably priced even though in bali it was expensive. We also went across the road to carla's spa which gave a better massage at a fraction of the price like 1 hour massage full body was 3-4 euro/person and the massage was far better from the one given from hotel spa.

Management of hotel do not really speak much english even the spanish operations manager, as in 1 instance i had mentioned to him that meatballs served during the afternoon tea where for sure raw and it took him quite a while to understand what i was saying. Afterwards they just removed this item after tasing one of them confriming that they were raw, but we never heard any feedback with this regards from management.

The amarta restuarant was superb, food and staff are extremely good. Hotel shops even though they are quite worth it they are also quite run down. Also bar service at the lobby bar is very good also. Entertainment especially entertainers were not friendly and didn;t go out of their way to make guests interact (which in all our holidays is a central part of the hotel experience). Also the shows offered at night were very good but started very early like at 8 pm - 9 pm after which there was not much to do.

In my opinion, since the hotel is off the beaten path and quite mediocre and away from most of the nightlife (kuta) and main attractions like ubud, etc it would be better if you spent your money elsewhere in a more central area

1  Thank AND170282
Melia_Benoa_Resort, Guest Experience at Sol Beach House Bali Benoa by Melia Hotels International, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Dear Mr. Andnat

I would like to thank you for take your time to write your comments about your recent experience in our hotel

First of all, I would like to apologize for the problem with the room, during those days, we were full, so we could not offer you an upgrade to a better one, but we are happy to see that you felt comfortable in that room and you enjoyed the facilities of the hotel.

I would like to inform you that our hotel is very quiet and oriented into people coming to Bali to relax, because of that, our activities ends early, and all of them are quiet, however, our water sports can give you a lot of fun during the afternoon.

Also my deepest apologize regarding to mice, is the first time that we have this complaint, since we follow a very strict pest control in all the hotel, however I have already talk to my team to focus on this problem and not happen again in the future.

In the other hand, thank you for the comments about the food, and specially Amarta Restaurant, all the team works in our restaurants very hard, to give the best quality, preparation and service to our guest, since the satisfaction of our clients is extremely important for the entire team of Melia Benoa.

Finally, we hope to have soon the occasion to welcome you again in our property and give the best experience.

Best Regards.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. Before arriving my husband contacted the hotel direct to ask for a quiet room and we were offered the honeymoon suite at an additional cost. We both jumped at the chance and agreed to pay for the room on arrival as requested by the hotel and the hotel sent a confirmation email stating it was reserved for us. When we got to the hotel we produced the email only to be told they had let someone else have the room and it may be free later during our stay. We were very disappointed to say the least. We had been allocated a suite with our original booking and we had this for the duration of the holiday; the rooms are spacious if a little dated but comfortable.

Apart from this the food was great, the staff are excellent and will do anything to make your stay the best ever. A special mention to Mendrin at the pool bar and also patek in el patio, plus trainee No7 and trainee No 17, you were all so very lovely and went just that little bit further to make things special.

The one thing I would say about the staff though and this is constructive critisism is that the higher management are incredibly rude; unless you are spanish! Not once during the whole stay did the General Manager, Operations Manager or the young girl trainee manager smile, say hello or even acknowledge anyone unless they were Spanish. Most days they ate in the same restaurant as the paying guests and ignored everyone. Never have we stayed at a hotel with this obvious difference between the staff levels and a nod or a smile or a good morning would go down very well will guests, I am sure.

The pool is very crammed with sunbeds and they are close together, if you want a tan, go to the beach because the pool is quite shaded.

The spa was a worthwhile visit and we had the hour long massage that came with our holiday and enjoyed it so much we went back and experienced the 3 hour hot tub, sauna, massage with volcanic ash and it was brilliant and aided us getting a really good tan as it gets rid of the dead skin.

The beach was the thing that most surprised us both as we expected it to be private and quiet and relaxing. This was not the case as there is a public walkway between the hotel and the beach and people from the hotels along the beach could walk through at any time. They could even pay to use the sunbeds and buy drinks from the hotel bars. The Melia Benoa advertises itself as an all inclusive hotel so how is this possible? If I pay for all inclusive, I expect exclusivity and not any old person coming into the hotel from outside. The other thing about the beach is that it is not quiet! It has constant speed boats pulling along inflatables, jet skis zooming by with the lovely smell of petrol hanging in the air and also paragliders and wind surfers. More like Benidorm than Bali!

The lack of evening entertainment in the lounge bar was noticed by all. The main entertainment was outside and lasted for an hour while you ate your meals adn then that was it except twice a week when singers came into the lounge bar. These evening were great and they should have something along these lines all the time; maybe a person just playing a guitar or something.

All in all the holiday was nice but not as expected as per the title of this review. It was a long way to travel and we expected so much more so disappointing. Would we go back? No Would we recommend the hotel? On the basis of the food and the general staff - yes but I would also mention the downsides.

Chris and Jo

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cinders28
Melia_Benoa_Resort, Guest Experience at Sol Beach House Bali Benoa by Melia Hotels International, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Mrs. Cinders

Thank you very much for take your time to share your experience with everybody in tripadvisor, your comments will help us with our continuing effort to improve the service quality.

First, I would like to apologize about the problem during the check-in, those days we were full and we did not have honeymoon suites available, though we gave you an executive suite room, which have similar conditions and we are very happy to see that, despite the problem, you have felt comfortable in that room and you could relax during your holidays.

In one hand, thank you very much for your nice comments about the staff, all the team work very hard to give our guest the best experience in Melia Benoa hotel and they are going to feel very proud to see that their service met your expectations. Also, we are happy to see that you enjoyed our SPA, since we think is the best way to spend a relaxing time.

In the other hand, we are very sorry to read that you felt we treated you differently that other guests, it was never our intention and our deepest apologize about that, we believe all our clients deserve the best service possible from all the staff, since the satisfaction of our guest is the most important thing for us.

Also, I would like to inform you that in Bali, by law, all beaches are public, and we cannot forbid the entrance to anybody, sorry if that did not meet your expectations but, we have the quietest and relaxing beach around, since we are a small hotel and is never too crowded. Regarding the all-inclusive, in the hotel we also have some guest in bed and breakfast, so it is possible for them to pay if they want to have any meal at the hotel.

Finally, we are going to take very good note about the lack of entertainment in lobby bar and we are going to see how implement more activities in this area

I wish that, though this experience in our property, we have the occasion to welcome you again in the future and make your stay unforgettable.

Best Regards from de Island of Gods.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for our honeymoon and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Service was friendly and helpful, very good value for money. It provided everything we needed for our holiday. The front desk was particularly helpful in introducing us to a driver who we booked for the day for about £30 & who acted as our guide while we visited the many sights of Bali. Didn't make much use of the spa but my one massage was great & again the service was very friendly.

Room Tip: Blue rooms are probably smaller than silver or gold but were comfortably ample for us.
2  Thank Will S

Dear Mr. Will

I would like to thank you very much for have chosen the Melia Benoa for your honeymoon, first of all, congratulation for your recent marriage.

Also thank you for your nice comments about the hotel and the staff, we are proud to know that we were able to make your stay enjoyable and that our hospitality reached your expectations, I will transmit your comments to our staff to keep on the great job, they are going to be very glad to see our guest leaving the hotel happy since we always try to give our client the best service.

Hoping to accommodate you again in the near future

Receive a warm greeting from Bali.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We recently stayed at melia benoa with our 3 kids and two other families . I found the hotel to be extremely well presented the rooms were nice. The staff were really friendly all the kids had a ball with ADitya (eddie) who was in the sports activities section he was brilliant . My only negative regarding the hotel is that they have a brilliant swim up bar but it lacks atmosphere, music around the swimming pool area , a couple of beer nuts at the bar and a few more sporting activities would make the hotel from good to brilliant in my opinion, this was also noted by other guests. Overal we all enjoyed our stay and would recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Jonesy003

Dear Mr. Jones

I would like to thank you for take your valuable time to share your comments with everybody about your recent stay in Melia Benoa.
We are very glad to see that we met your expectations and that you and your family enjoyed your holiday with us.

Regarding the pool, as you know, this is a very quiet hotel, where people come to relax and to be quiet because of that, we cannot do so many activities, however, we are planning to include speakers with quiet music in this area, to give just a little more atmosphere; and also, we are thinking to include different activities to do.

Thank you again for your nice comments about the hotel and the staff, and we hope to have soon the occasion to welcome you again in our hotel.

Best Regards from Bali.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

My wife and I have just come back from Bali and had 2 fantastic weeks at the melia benoa the staff were very friendly and just could not do enought to help you special thanks to patek in the el patio restaurant sorry we did not get a chance to say good by but would like to say thank you from Linda and John and hope to see you in the future .As a couple we have traveled quite a lot through out the world and would say this is properly one of the best hotels for food , and verity of food,staff,and lay out of the gardens and the rest of the hotel.All in all we could not fault this hotel in any way thanks again to every body at the Melin Benoa for a great hoilday all the best to you all .linda and John .

Room Tip: Ask for pool view 1st floor
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 499john414
Melia_Benoa_Resort, Guest Experience at Sol Beach House Bali Benoa by Melia Hotels International, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Mr. John

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for your nice comment about our hotel and staff; it is a great pleasure to read reviews like yours.

I will transmit all your words to our team, who are going to be glad to see that we exceeded your expectations in terms of facilities and service and that we were able to make your stay enjoyable.

Your positive comments will helps us with our continuing effort to improve the service, and also thank you for recognize the good job of all the staff, who works very hard to give our guest the best experience in the hotel.

Thank you, one more time, for chose Melia Benoa for your holidays and we are looking forward to have again the occasion to welcoming you.

Best Regards.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights, was overall happy with the hotel and its service. Upon arrival, we were instantly serviced with a small welcome drink and staff were polite and friendly. Service during the stay was good too, with timely return of drycleaning and attended your issues quickly when you call for assistance. .

If you intend to stay in this area, this is a good value hotel, if you want to stay in the Tanjung Benoa area but not pay the price of other similarly located hotels. Located by the beach and close to the Nusa Dua area as well. There is a convenience store across the road and a money exchanger within 5-10min walk. However, having stayed at Seminyak before, I personally prefer to stay in Seminyak which has more restaurants and shops nearby.

Dear. Mr. /Mrs. Elizard

First of all, thank you for your nice words about the hotel and the staff, it was a pleasure for us to welcome you in the hotel and give you our best service. We are happy to see that you found our property with a good relationship between value and money.

We are sorry, to read that during your stay you had little issues, but proud to see that our staff fixed it quickly and you could continue enjoying your holidays.

Regarding the location, as you know, the hotel is very quiet and is perfect for people who want to relax their vacations, in a Balinese ambient and with the best service from our staff, because of that we think that the location is perfect, since Nusa Dua and Tanjung Benoa, are very quiet places, where you are far of the noise of Kuta or Seminyak.

Hoping to accommodate you again in the future

Receive a warm greeting from Bali.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanjung Benoa
Grand Mirage Resort & Thalasso Spa - Bali
Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort
Grand Aston Bali Beach Resort
#5 of 29 in Tanjung Benoa

Been to Sol Beach House Bali Benoa by Melia Hotels International? Share your experiences!