“Luxury at a bargain-basement price”
Review of Novotel Bali Benoa

Novotel Bali Benoa
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Tanjung Benoa
Reviewed December 19, 2009

I have stayed in luxury hotels in Bali before and was apprehensive about staying here, thinking it was a little down-market to what I was used to to. Was I wrong! All the special touches and top-notch service was all there, but not the huge bill to pay at the end. An absolute pleasure.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Mintox33
Write a ReviewReviews (3,059)

Reviewed December 15, 2009

First of all - a huge news to all who is going to book NBB - the main pool is already operational from December 14. I was leaving December 13, they started filling in water - I was so lucky to observe the renovation during my whole stay, lucky me!
Believe me, without a main pool any resort is a torture, their two small pools across the road do not save the situation at all as they are far, small, inconvenient and shallow. Not good at all. Staying on the beach was a torture too, as the sand was hot and incandescent like a good frying pan, the is lukewarm and not refreshing at all. Together with pool renovation they closed pool showers - so guests had zero chance to rinse salty water from their bodies after swimming.
All this without a trace of honest word on their official site where ANY works/ renovation/ remodeling of the resort MUST be clearly explained and announced during reservation process. This shows lack of care, personal touch and true commitment from management and sale department of the hotel.
To the review then............
1/ Check -in was OK, check -out was a disaster - a girl (Fomaya) at check out without a blink included into my final bill airport transfer (which is 2,5 times more expensive than taxi fare) . When I pointed out on it, the only explanation that was given - I THOUGHT YOU NEED IT - that`s all - she thought I needed it without asking me, without consulting me etc and etc. It was HER idea totally! And I am pretty sure if I did not mention it and insist on erasing from the bill, none would give me that transfer that I already paid.
Horrible attitude.
2/ I booked tropical terrace room. What did I get? In reality the room is SMALL, the bathroom is actually the size of the room, but none told that I was going to live in the bathroom. The room itself was dusty, damp, smelly, full chipped furniture and of stains on the couch . They`ve got the funniest AC position in the entire Universe - somewhere in the ceiling niche between the room and the bathroom, as a result the room itself is not served by AC at all. The only thing that can save you from suffocation is to switch on ceiling fan, a sure guarantee of running nose and cough at the end of your vacation.
I was completely disappointed with room and requested a meeting with a manager on duty. The meeting though was arranged at once.
2/ Manager on duty Bpk. Ketut was all help and understanding. He upgraded us to poll villa. That`s where our vacation really started.
Greatest thanks to Bpk. Ketut.
3/ Pool villas are gorgeous, as it seems they are rarely used or better cared to. As the main pool was in the process of floor tile change our private pool, however small, was a savior, a bliss and eternal joy during my stay. Villa features a bedroom, an open concept bathroom with jacuzzi, an open living room, a plunge pool with two sunbeds and a gazebo. When you enter you see a small waterfall with koi fish at the bottom. Koi were always hungry and appreciated so much when we brought some bread from the breakfast to feed them. Every villa equipped with two TVs (plaza in the bedroom), two ipod docks, coffee machine, tea kettle, fridge with minibar, assorted glassware, plates and silverware. All you need.
In the bathroom you find a HUGE number of different size towels of plushy peach color (in the tropical terrace room I spot only worn and washed out pale gray rugs pretending to be towels), amenities are all in figurine green glass bottles - very stylish and romantic looking.
4/ The sea. A biggest surprise - the sea is actually SWIMMABLE in any time of day despite tide level low or high. The NBB has a unique location and they are very happily positioned on the beach from this point of view.
In the sea not much of a marine life, we only saw sea snakes (the staff say they are harmless but look quite capable of some unfriendly action) - to keep clear from them as they lurk in seaweed, just have always clear sand under your feet. There will be no problem. At the high tide try to venture further but better bring your mask and snorkel - only with swim goggles you are still uncomfortable. Further to the sea from sand/ seaweed border you can find BEAUTIFUL sea stars and some occasional fish.
5/ Food. I tried several restaurants in the street (they a SLIGHTLY) cheaper than eating at the hotel and honestly can nor recommend any. At the Tree and The Pavillion I saw three well fed rats attending some wall hindu decorations, naturally the animals believe that food belongs to them and hindu deities will not complain. Assuming the fact that ALL restos share the same street and evidently the same rats I ate at the hotel only afterward.
Hotel food is nice, pizzas are even delicious, like very much grilled vegetables salad with olive oil. Kelapa muda on the beach served on the chilled plate is very enjoyable too.
Breakfast is exceeded my expectations, was rich, delicious, well presented and variable from day to day. Really enjoyed homemade yogurts, waffles and freshly squeezed juices.
6/ Cheats and touts. They are everywhere in Bali - restaurants, money changers, convenient stores (the cashier girl deliberately charged me Evian water bottle instead of Nestle (5 times cheaper) and only laughed when I rejected her cheat), beaches - check and double check your bills, money, keep an eye on your belongings and purse every time. Local people attitude toward visitors is getting worse with the time, unfortunately. Balinese nowadays see tourists as a mere idiots that are good only for being cheated and overcharged . Very poor attitude and the wrong one as well.
7/ Bali collection - do not go there. Full of gloomy looking Russians with their weird girls on highest heels i`ve ever seen in any resort around the globe. Restaurants are overpriced, souvenirs are HUGELY and ridiculously overpriced.
8/ Internet is chargeable, but they offer two stalls in the lobby that are free. The traffic is slow though. But my laptop easily picked up some unsecured network, so i`ve got no problem with being on-line.
9/ Garuda Indonesia sucks. Delays as ever.
10/ As usually I`ll be happy to answer your question if you have any.

Shonefeld

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
41  Thank Schonefeld
Reviewed December 15, 2009

I stayed at Novotel Benoa with my partner in a Tropical Terrace room. It's a beautiful room, it's not as large as I thought it was but very comfortable. The resort is beautiful and the service is amazing.
Plus:
-Great service, beautiful room, very good breakfast, nice swimming pools, nicely built at the beach. Hotel located in a street plenty of good restaurants with low prices, rooms are cleaned in the morning but bed is made twice a day, beautiful shows, gratis Internet at the lobby.

Mins
The hotel has a spa with expensive services. The shows at the hotel are given in a way that doesn't make you feel welcome unless you have dinner in their restaurant. Avoid rooms nearby the busy, noisy hotel street., the other rooms near the beach or at the other side of the road are nicely quiet.
We would surely stay there again.

Reviewed December 7, 2009

This hotel is LOVELY. Very clean, beautifully decorated (other hotels along the beach were plain and impersonal in comparrison). The staff are very friendly and always say hello when you walk past. I had my birthday whilst at the Novotel and had a cake left in my room which was a nice personal touch. Rooms were great - one of the best rooms I've stayed in compared with other 4* hotels. It has I think been recently re-decorated and is quite modern looking.

The pools are great in terms of style and size, there is a pool on the other side of the road which is quieter with a pool bar. (The road is not a hassle to cross as there is always a gaurd to stop the traffic.) I would agree with comments that the tiles on the bottom of the pool need changing - they are mosaic tiles with sharp edges and my partner cut his feet quite badly on two occasions. Other than this the hotel is well maintained. We found out that the main pool would be closed for two weeks after we left for maintenance. Good - but perhaps not for the remaining guests!

The beach does get some sea-weed wash up everyday and there are quite a lot of water sports but the water was fairly clear, very warm and I still enjoyed the odd swim. Do not be put off by the works along the beach as these are not noticible from the Novotel - you wouldn't even know they are there unless you take a walk down the beach.

Hotel breakfast was good - we didn't eat once at the hotel as the restaurants a long the road are much cheaper. Two restaurants worth mentioning are the Casa de Luna and The Tree. The Tree has a more varied menu choice (with English favourites) The food, although tasy, is very repetitive amongst the other restaurants. It's best to go and try a different one each night to find your favourite as some are better than others.

Overall this was a great holiday, a great place to stay and I would go back to this hotel.

2  Thank Craig_and_Sara
Reviewed December 6, 2009

I just came back from a 4D3N stay in the Tropical Terrace Room under the visit Bali-Lombok promotion including airport transfer, breakfast and free internet.

It started good; Novotel staff was there at the airport to pick us up despite a one hour airplane delay, but soon later, the driver started to sell his services for ‘special promotional tours of Bali” along the journey to the hotel (not good). Checking-in was fast and efficient, and soon we were brought to our room. The room looks rather old and a little worn-out, the bathtub in the Tropical Terrace Room was actually made of plastic instead of marble (very bad), and to make things worse the bathtub actually leak and flooded the whole floor after I tried to take a bath in it. Luckily the hotel manages to fix it rather fast, and the bathtub no longer leaked on the following days. Bathroom amenities were missing, but not a problem, a call to the housekeeping and everything was delivered (unfortunately, just for delivering a few items the bellboy was kind of expecting a tip, which I find most irritating, you can’t hide greed behind your smile).

Breakfast was quite ordinary, the usual stuff you get from a 4 star hotel. It was definitely much better eating in the hotel than along the road, as I discovered that there were much fewer houseflies in the hotel restaurant (only a couple) compared to the swarms at some of the restaurants along the road side. The free internet in my package only meant free for two half hour blocks, something I felt that the hotel could have done much better in informing guests before hand.

The beach at Tanjung Benoa is under renovation (something the hotel did not mention at all)! Water was quite badly polluted from all the construction going on along the stretch of the beach; you can get the same quality of water in Singapore. Although the part along Novotel was not under construction yet, to the right about 100m are the construction and to the left you find many tourist boats, so don’t expect to see a beautiful beach there!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ri_Sun8
Reviewed November 29, 2009

We recently returned from 2.5 weeks at the Novotel Benoa Bali. We go to Bali every year and usually get a private villa in Seminyak, so we were nervous about staying in Benoa. However, after our stay we would definitely stay there again and would recommend the Novotel Benoa Bali to families with young children.

We stayed in a Family Suite (on the beach side of the hotel), my husband, and 10 month old and 2.5 year old. The room was great, the kids bedroom was very quiet and dark (however we did have to ask for the skylight to be covered, which they did). They had even put night lights in the room, it was fantastic. The room included a range of kids games etc and we could tell they had taken some time to try to pick games that our kids could play with given their young ages.

The sitting room is great, comfy couch and tv and dvd player. There is also a tv/dvd in main bedroom and one in the other bedroom.

Two toilets, two showers, one bath. Great outdoor sitting area and chairs, as well as outdoor shower.

The portacot that came with the room was great, suitable, no problems. We did ask them to put a dooner in it as a mattress, to give extra comfort but that was fine.

The rooms are all separate, with doors. It was great for extra privacy. We could put the kids to sleep and still watch tv or hang out in the sitting room or bedroom and it was not noisy to them.

it was great being close to the pool and the beach and breakfast restaurant.

The kids pool was great, but they could definitely do with fixing all the tiles so that it is smooth- you can cut your feet on the tiles. The kids pool was 0.4 metres deep so both our kids could play in it easily, the 2.5 year old wandered in and out and the 10 month old had a baby seat.

Will be going back next year.

We also got a fantastic babysitter (through a recommendation, not through the hotel). We wanted the same sitter throughout the stay and she was great. Email me if you want her details. That was one downfall, that we could not get the same sitter throughout the stay when booking through the hotel, as you are effectively utilising the hotel staff on their days off.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank LovingBali77
Reviewed November 24, 2009

This was our third stay here, and we are in the process of booking a fourth. I love this place. Sure it's a bit out of the way, but who wants to be with those bogans in Kuta? There are ample resturants within a few hundred metres, and one place , THE TREE, which will be a magnet for nightlife.(next door to Laguna spa)
We stayed in a Tropical Terrace room again, simply stunning, and the breakfasts were as good as ever.The staff, awlays attentive, happy , smiling, nothing is too much trouble. Before we flew back we were even offered the courtesy of a spare room to shower in, so as we could freshen up. This room was a recently renovated deluxe, and that has now become a good standard also.
This hotel is great for kids, honeymooners, and repeat guests.You can't go wrong
One gripe is the pool lounge hogs, this is really annoying and causes arguements.There are the usual arrogant Germans who think it's some sort of right to put towels on a lounge , disappear for 6 hours, and expect it to still be there when they get back.Absolutely amazing, and the Hotel needs to do something about this.When you ask the staff, they do nothing about it, they need direction from Management. One guy even had the audacity to put towels on different lounges for different parts of the day.Do what I do, gather them up, and take them back to the towel hut!!
Anyway, I will be back in March, and I can't wait

#5 of 27 in Tanjung Benoa
Melia Bali
Melia Bali
#14 of 54 in Nusa Dua

Been to Novotel Bali Benoa? Share your experiences!