“Why not treat yourselves while you are in the island of Gods”
Review of Sakala Beach Club

Sakala Beach Club
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Open lunch and dinner, this expansive beachfront establishment comprises a refined indoor dining room with dramatic decor plus the open-air sky deck. Both confer palm fringed Indian Ocean views and accept reservations from hotel guests as well as outside diners. Reserve a private Kul Kul room for intimate gatherings among friends overlooking the Indian Ocean, or takeover the VIP lounge to party into the tropical night.
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My hubby, 2kids and I decided to try this Sakala fine dining for our last diner while having vacation in Bali last week. We are not into fine dining or cafe type people. We rather have Balinese food, chinese food, or fine steaks dining. Especially me, I dont really enjoy what so called fine dining with foei gras menu and other fancy things actually. But this Sakala chef was really good and made our last diner at Bali memorable.... Not because the bill.. Hehehehe but all of us really had new experience and enjoyed Sakala fine dining food.

Sakala really deserved the full star rating. Here's our experience with Sakala, with a little....just a little advice that may make Sakala even better in the future....

We came without reservation around 6 in the evening only two table had guests, too early for diner actually. you wont missed the resto in tanjung Benoa street.. Its so grand at the right side.... Lucky we had a driver, Sakala dont have a parking space. Ooppsss... Maybe soon when the hotel in progress opposite the street open.

We chose to sit outside near the beach with nice sea wiew.... Need to come much earlier with good camera next time... Apparently they have swimming pool for guest, beach bench so you can stay all day there.

The waitress explained the set menu, offered wine and took our order, we had 2set menu and 2 Extra main course which were the lamb chop and tuna sashimi to share with the kids from regular menu. Kids menu did not appealing and our kids already 8 and 11 so they were looking forward to have steak and other main menu. The lamb chop was the favorite according to our waitress but tuna sashimi that my hubby chose-I thought it was wrong to order japanese speciality at french fine dining in Bali. Boy was I wrong! The tuna shasimi not the regular Japanese sashimi that completely raw but more into fusion kind of tuna that cooked at the outside, raw in the inside covered with rice like risotto? Ah I didnt think I should explained here since I can't recalled whats in that plate but believe me.... It rocked our mouth and made our tummy soooooooo happy... So did the lamb that was served with different kinds of side dishes and souce.... Again I better not tried to explain what wEre on each plate or how it cooked since I cant remember one by one, not like the waitress there who explained everything served in front of us one by one. They must went into a course and got tested before they can serve guest. How can they remembered each menu cooked and served with, We were amazed. What a great team and great manager Sakala has, not to mention the great chef who able to cook wonderful dining experience that we enjoyed so much and very delicious even to us who not really into fine dining food. Well, it's not the chef fault that I not into snake skin fruit sorbet or the wagyu beef since I dont eat beef lately.

All of us agree the food was superb. However, if we want to be very very picky, we like to offer our advice that the wagyu beef as main course, in our opinion, better cooked with less spices so it would show more true wagyu beef taste, plain cooked with little pepper n salt. The wagyu beef that we had- I tried a little out of my curiosity after so many... Around 6 other courses that bring joy and gave wonderful, delicious surprise our taste and tummy, suddenly make us quiet confused since the flavoured was too rich. It was good but to much spices we can't taste the wagyu beef. As it called wagyu beef, it supposed to be different because of the texture and the flavoured of the beef so we kind of not agree with the way it cooked using so many adding flavour. But hey, thats really was personal preference. We hope the chef doesnt get offended.

The 9 course set menu end around 2.5 hours, when you bring kids maybe better to order just appetizer, main course and dessert so it wont be too long for them. My kids were excited with the place and food but they got bored waiting for the main course, by the time it came they already full, we all actually full. It was wonderful from the start even the wet tissue that pop up in water, the bread, soup, appetizer..... And so on until the sweet bitter perfect dessert as closer.

They set menu end up with 3 dessert: melted dark chocolate came too long since they need to made it perfect, sate marshmellow and kryspy chocolate ball. It just perfect if we didnt feel so full already... My advice: order 2 set menu to share with kids. But again with so many yummy selection its hard not to order more. Again, Welldone to the chef, waitresses and the management.

Last but not least, the ambience... We only sit around 15 minutes outside since it was getting dark and the mosquitos decided to have our blood as their supper... When we brought this up the waitress was quick to response by giving us some spray to use on our leg which means this happens a lot. We then decided to sit inside with aircon and spectacular wine cellar background, swimming pool and hotel room show unit view at the other side. The hotel room show unit looks so nice and comfy, my kids ask to stay there next time. The hotel building looks so grand, just like the restaurant.

The new sofa seat gave another problem, this sofa bench design was so wrong, everytime we go in and out our seat, our leg always hit the sharp edge of the wodden bench aT the end of the sofa. either our leg or our hip hit the edge of the table. With 2kids that keep going in n out for restroom reason and 2.5 hours dining time for set menu, our leg and hip were quiet bruised and even got bleeding. We really really recommend for the wood bench to be cut off. The waitresses apologize for it a couple time and explained that the interior soon will be remodeled and yes that wooden thing had injured too many guests there. Well, the nice explanation and the food ease all the bruised.

Sakala was a very memorable, yummy, great fine dining experience that we surprisingly found can suited our taste. Nothing more to say other than: just go and experience it yourselves.

Great for couple, great for kids, great to come with friends and family. The place just beautiful, food r so yummy, the service was perfect... The bill... Well its a fine dining, but its actually very very reasonable price. Dont forget to bring camera! Until we visit again.... Cant wait to experience their new hotel.... Please send us invitation and give us promo rate? Hehehehe.... Thank you Sakala...

2  Thank chinggu
Janick C, Manager at Sakala Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Dear chinggu,
What a wonderfully detailed review of our restaurant and food. I am very happy to hear that our team was able to make you and your family feel welcome and well taken care of during your visit. Chef also sends his appreciation for the kind words 
As for your comments about our seating, please accept my most sincere apologies for the discomfort it has caused you. We are well aware of its design flaws and are looking forward to our upcoming design refresh.
Please let me know when you are planning a future visit to Bali so that I can forward any special promotions that we have to you.

There are newer reviews for Sakala Beach Club

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Went to this restaurant by chance and so pleased we did.They picked us up from our accomodation and dropped us homeService ,food ,restaurant were outstanding.We ate at some great restaurants in Bali,Mamasan, Sarong,Ju Ma Na,La Lucciola,Potato Head the list goes on.This restaurant was a stand out,best meal we had in Bali.

Dear max2008_12,
Many thanks for the lovely review of our restaurant and service. I am very pleased that you have found us on this last trip to Bali and hope to see you again on the next! 
Best regards,

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Presentation befitting a Michelin 3-star rated restaurant and flavours that set your taste buds singing, this restaurant is a stand-out! My wife and I booked to dine here based on the Trip Advisor reviews but didn't expect the quality of the food that we were served which stood head and shoulders above the other restaurants we have eaten in since we arrived in Bali.

For our entrees my wife ordered the pan fried foie gras and I ordered a prawn dish and for mains I ordered the Duck with foie gras and my wife the pork done three ways; for dessert we shared Bounty, a deconstructed dish based on the original Bounty ice cream dessert on the recommendation of our server.

I have to say that the pan fried foie gras left a very lasting impression, among one of the best foie gras dishes I had ever had. All the dishes were plated to a very high standard befitting a world class restaurant and service was both discreet yet attentive. The wine list was good and reasonably priced when compared with the other restaurants we have eaten at since we arrived. All in all our meal here is one that will be remembered by us as among some of the best we have had.

All up with a Bintang and a bottle of Chardonnay the meal came to Irp1.85 million which in my book was a bargain for this level of food in comparison with other fine dining restaurants we have eaten in. In a word bravo, we will definitely be heading back before we leave Bali and I have no hesitancy in recommending it as a restaurant not to be missed. The only criticism I have is that on the night we dined we were alone in the restaurant so the atmosphere was a bit lacking, not something that the team at Sakala can be held responsible for they had certainly done everything to ensure we had a memorable night.

1  Thank Chris1950822

Dear Chris1950822,
It is a great pleasure to read such a glowing review about our newest dishes, especially by someone who obviously shares our love of fine food and wine!
Thank you very much for sharing your experience (and for deeming us Michelin worthy!!) and we hope to see you and your wife again upon your next visit to Bali.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We visited Sakala on our last night in Bali, which was probably just as well because it's fabulous, and killer expensive (by Bali standards, which means approaching Australian prices - or exceeding them in the case of wine.)

After a series of really average meals, even in top hotels, it was great to go somewhere in the Nusa Dua/Tanjung Benoa area that didn't disappoint.

Sakala offer a pick-up service, which is great not because of the money you save (taxis are cheap) but because it avoids the stress of your taxi driver not knowing where the restaurant is (this happened repeatedly in TJ - not sure why).

The vibe of the place is very glamourous, if a little cold. We were there in the dark, so didn't see the beach views or pool in action. I'm sure it would be a great setting for a weekend party.

There was a DJ playing music that was soft and stylish and definitely added to the experience.

The food was simply fabulous. Really high-quality cooking with great ingredients. Every dish was a success, and it was good to see some decent vegetarian options.

The wine list is fairly extensive, but it's hard to stomach the prices of fairly ordinary wines in Bali! In the end we settled for one of the cheaper wines and it was OK, but no match for the fabulous food. Our waiter, Wahyu, was knowledgeable and helpful on wine as well as food - a real pro.

The only criticism I'd make - and I offer it in a constructive spirit - is that the menu is is not well written. In some cases I couldn't understand how the description under the name of a dish related to the dish. For example, "rack of lamb" was followed by a description including the word "shank". I think they used the description to explain the accompaniments and not the main item in some cases? I still am not sure - it was very odd. There were a few typos too. To be honest, when I started reading the menu I thought "oh no - the chef is amateurish". Fortunately, I was very wrong.

If you're looking for a place for a romantic dinner or special meal with friends, Sakala would definitely fit the bill. Unlike a few people there the night we visited, I would not bring kids. It's just not that kind of place - at least at night.

I see Sakala is building a hotel across the road - that should be worth checking out. If they can match the hospitality shown at the restaurant I'm sure they'll do very well.

Dear melbmeg,
Thank you very much for the wonderful review of our food and service. I am very pleased to hear that our team was able to provide a quality experience on your last night in Bali.
Unfortunately, Bali import duties are making it difficult to offer a quality wine selection at the prices we are used to seeing in Australia, Europe or the Americas. We do try our best to have some great lower cost options.
Finally, your comments about our menu are much appreciated. Our Chef likes to use the main ingredient of the dish as the name to make it easier to identify elements of interest on the menu, the following description highlights the accompanying sides and sauces. Typos are definitely NOT part of the experience and we will make sure to look into it for the upcoming revision.
Until your next visit I hope,

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We chose Sakala becuase of the great reviews from Tripadvisor. Wow, it was one of the best meals we have ever had. Beautiful fresh french food, excellent service, groovy decor and great views. Can't wait until their hotel and villas open too! Loved their pick up service too.

1  Thank ascAustralia

Dear ascAustralia,
We are very fortunate to have some very kind guests, such as yourself, who take the time to share their experience with us on Trip Advisor. I am very happy to hear that we were able to deliver an experience that matched your expectations.
I hope that we will see your again once the hotel opens this fall.
Best regards,