“Amazing day! Highly recommend this if you're into food”

Bumbu Bali Cooking School
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My verdict on cooking school: BRILLIANT! Well worth doing. If you’re going to Bali and are interested in food, then book a place (try and book as far ahead as possible — I heard there’s a two to three month waitlist; we were just fortunate there was a cancellation). Cost: US$90 for cooking school plus market (start at 6:00 am); US$80 for cooking school only (start at 9:00 am). If you can get up early enough, do the market part to as Heinz imparts a lot of information at the market that he doesn’t cover while cooking.

For a full review and pictures see my blog post here: http://sandgroper14.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/bali-day-5-wednesday-13-september-2012/

2  Thank Rhonda B

Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Learn how to hypnotize a chicken and or what the secret is to deep frying a banana!

Great way to spend a day alone or with family members or friends! Chef Heinz is passionate about food and Bali (Indonesia) and generously shares his breadth of experience! And what a sumptuous spread after some cooking instruction!! A true taste and color cornucopia! If peanuts and/or coconut are allergens and/or you are not so keen on these flavors, then lunching on this banquet may not be fully to your liking.

My 16-year-old son who pretty much disses anything theses days said, "it was good." Such a statement coming from him is a very strong endorsement!!

The cost initially seemed high when I booked it, but I feel we got our money's worth!!

Bumbu also sells Balinese cookbooks, some of those lovely volcanic rock mortar and pestles, and some savory condiments!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

This was a trip highlight..suitable for anyone regardless of your cooking skills.

The early morning local market tour is fascinating...makes you realise how sterile and regulated Australia is with food storage and handling...we then did tour of Jimbaran Bay Fish market which l loved taking in the atmosphere of the fishermn coloured fishing boats lined up and taking in the hive of activity.

After tour we went back with Heinz (lived in Bali 22yrs) who is very passionate about the Island and traditions of Indonesia...ate a balinese breakfast we all got to watch listen and assemble delicious recipes and then sat down to enjoy our new dishes over lunch.

Highly recommend the tour & cooking school day cost is $100pp but really worth it and is up there as one of my all time favourites things to do in beautiful Bali.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

I took this class with my two daughters aged 10 and 8. Whilst I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for children, as it is a very long day, my budding chefs thoroughly enjoyed it.
They collect you from your hotel at the crack of dawn (well, actually it was still dark) and take you to the markets where all the locals get their produce. It's in-your-face and interesting...the fish markets possibly more so. You are brought back to the sanctity of the B&B run by the restaurant to a delicious breakfast and a long day of cooking. We sat around and watched Heinz and Bagus weave their special magic, with help for all of us at varying times. then to top it off, we all sit down to enjoy the spoils. I am an absolute foodie, but I learned a lot.

1  Thank charkey25
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This was my best day in Bali. Our class of 14 was taken to a morning general market and then a fish market before returning to the hotel for breakfast collected at the market. Then it was 4 hour cooking class and eating our efforts.
What made the day special was our host Heinz Von Holzen and his staff. Heinz is a real food enthusiast. Although classically trained in french cooking Heinz questions why we cook the way we do and is continually looking for ways to improve his food. He researches advances in food science and applies these to his cooking. He has a keen interest in real balanese food and collects recipes and techniques from many locals.The focus on high quality ingredients was paramount.
Although the cooking was largely by demonstration, we all had a turn assisting and during the day got to taste dishes during cooking and were taught to recognise various spices and ingredients and how to balance flavours.
An inspirational day. Thanks Heinz