“We Loved It!!!”

Bumbu Bali
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Serving Bali's flavorful cuisine: Recognized as the leading Balinese Restaurant on the island and the recipient of numerous awards, Bumbu Bali is your guide into the many culinary treasures our island paradise has on offer. Our daily fish and vegetable market visits are a guarantee that we serve you only the finest ingredients found on Bali
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Okay so:

No.1 - I’m not Indonesian so am not judging this against my mothers home cooking.
No.2 - Nusa Dua being the 5* enclave that it is I also wasn’t expecting to take advantage of the “best value meal in all of Bali”, for that I would go elsewhere.

So having said that lets move on.

We loved this place. We’d only been in Bali 24 hours after arriving from a stay in Singapore and were worried that the delights of the Hawker centres would put Balinese restaurants to shame, but we needn’t have worried.

The food here is excellent. Delicious Balinese dishes served “platter” style in a really attractive way. We had Sates, Curry and Babi Guling and were really, really pleased. We followed this with the mixed desert stand which offers a fruit platter along with around five traditional local desserts. The local desserts were excellent and something we would never had the chance to try if we hadn’t have eaten here (we didn’t even see them offered in the entire time we visited Nusa Dua, Gili Trawangan, Ubud, Pemuteran or Jimbaran Bay).

The service was also excellent. With most of the dishes being completely new to us the waiters took time to explain what they were, why they were worth a try and what they should be eaten with. They also advised on quantity advising us when they felt we were ordering too much! When it came to the bill it was clear that a large Bintang had been missed so I had to let them know because they were all so nice!! Value for money was very good in my opinion, especially with the free ride home.

Other useful points… the cocktails here are excellent… and they have a unique way to welcome guests!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,211)

Reviewed July 9, 2013

On arrival back to Rumah Bali we book every dinner at either Bumbu Bali 1 or 2 on alternating nights. We have stayed at Rumah Bali three times and eaten the majority of our evening meals at Bumbu Bali. The menus are largely identical, although Bumbu 2 now has a special of Babi Guling or suckling pig by portions on Saturday or Thursday nights, otherwise by order in advance with a minimum of 6 people, and Bumbu 2 also serves skewers. While the menus are similar, the settings and staff are different enough to make it interesting to be able to work through the menu selection at either venue. While some recent reviewers seem to have found small issues to express concern, we have never had concerns with any of our meals. We are warmly greeted on arrival and staff always patiently explain the menu options as well as the dishes when they arrive. We come to enjoy food of an exceptional standard and presentation, and the menu is extensive enough to make eating an indulgence. Fair to say that we end up ordering less and less as the time goes by as the portions are generous in my view, and the accompaniments including green papaya salad, green bean salad, pickles, different serves of rice (white and brown) are true pleasures. I won't repeat the selections we made other than we sampled from the appetisers, soups, sates and mains without repeating over six meals on this most recent visit. Every choice was another food sensation - I like my food spicy, while my wife is less impressed with chillies, but we managed to enjoyed every dish between us.

One thing we did repeat on however was our selection of dessert - I was taken initially by the Tamarillo ice-cream but on Heinz's recommendation tried the Five-spice ice-cream. Made using fresh ingredients, and creamy as well, this is a uniquely special dessert. Ice-cream in Bali might not be your pick to end a meal, and we regularly have our fill of tropical fruits, black rice pudding and glutinous rice dumplings in palm sugar, I cannot go past these two flavours in combination. Tamarillo because it brings back childhood memories and Five-spice will always be a flavour associated with Bumbu and Heinz. Whatever the difference in price for meals at other restaurants you get what you pay for, and we hope to enjoy meals at Bumbu Bali for many trips to come.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We were staying at rumah bali, 200 meters away from the restaurant and we told them to reserve for us, as we went there about 4 :30 and i was intending to order the rijstafel, we were so disappointed that you can't order any before 6 pm, so we looked up the menu, and it was really expensive, we ordered some satay, noodles with fish and with chicken, also grilled fish with coconut milk and chicken curry with coconut milk, the food was just OK, not fancy and overrated than all what is said here, i was so disappointed, cause for this value of money you could eat indonesian food in a much much better and cheaper place.
I do not recommend it at all.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Lunch at Bumbu Bali, nice atmosphere, nice foods. In my opinion, not originally Balinese taste, there is a bit modification to make it more easy to accepted by different people. But still highly recommended.
My only complaint is about flies. We were busy eating and fighting flies at the same time! For this kind of restaurant, this should not be happened. We ate in some restaurants nearby, but the flies disturbances happened significantly only here. We already asked for candles, but not helping so much. Hopefully this can be solve.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Please make reservation before you come to the restaurant.

Try its satays. Superb. The fish and the chicken are well marinated and grilled perfectly. The service is superb too. The waiter is attentive without being overbearing.