“If you plan to actually go to the beach, choose a diferent hotel and deffinitely not in Kavarna.”

and 1 more site!
Royal Cove Residence
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Kavarna
Bucharest, Bucuresti, Romania
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I’ve booked a one bedroom apartment at this hotel having in mind that it is positioned 70m away from the beach, according to the advertisement, mainly because we have a small child (a 2 year old) and the trip to the beach can be a bit hectic because of all the luggage one has to carry such as toys, inflatable pool and many more.

I’ll try to be brief, so below you have a list of pros and cons:

Pros:
1. The hotel from outside looks really well structured, small but great
2. The apartment (B7) is really nice, the rooms are fairly generous as is the terrace
3. The kitchen is ok however I personally have not used the pans as they looked a bit too used and not properly cleaned. Would not recommend but it is up to each and every individual.
4. The Restaurant downstairs is ok, they serve really good food (the mushroom soup is excellent) however from the menu you will find a handful of available options. The cook and the waitress are really great, they always greeted us with a smile and always tried to make conversation even if they didn’t know even 5 words of English.

Cons:
1. Bathroom: not really 4 star rated, I’d say 3 but I’d be generous. The hot water is generated with the help of a small boiler and runs out really fast if you don’t use it wisely. Always remember to have the button on otherwise you’ll have to wait a while. We also have experienced an entire day without water at all due to some technical difficulties.
2. Location: I don’t really know how the 70m were actually measured but there’s no way this is the real distance to the beach. I’d say double or even 200m.
3. The pool looks bigger in the pictures.
4. Amenities: there is just one small shop you can buy things from but do not expect them to have too many items. If you do not come by car or prepared, do not set high expectations.
5. The road to the beach is horrible: mainly filthy and totally unsafe for a toddler. Beware of dogs.
6. The famous beach: it’s not really a beach per say, my guess is that sometime in the ‘80s it was a docking facility for boats. One can use the stairs to get into the water however due to the algae it is nowhere safe and most definitely not suited for a child. It is filthy and dangerous. Once on the beach if you look left, in about a 10 minutes’ walk there’s a beach, a bit too rocky at the beginning but ok near the dam. There are about 10 sun chairs for tourists to use but I guess you have to be there really early in the morning. There’s a small bar across the road but again it’s best not to have high expectations. If you have kids, it’s best to use the car to get to the beach as there are plenty of parking spaces.

Recommendations: if you do not come by car, rent one. From the main road, if you take a left, after a 30 minute drive you’ll get to Balchik where the beach is great. If you go right, after a 15 minute drive towards Cape Kaliakra, just before reaching it, there’s a small road to your left which will take you to a wonderful beach. I highly, highly recommend it.
Also, do try the Dalboka restaurants as they are a 15 minute drive from the hotel towards Cape Kaliakra.

Originally I did not want to mention the discussion I had with the Hotel Manager but giving it a second thought I believe it’s worth mentioning it: after the first encounter with the beach, my husband and I decided this is not suited for our 2 year old daughter nor for us and therefore we would cancel the rest of our stay (after only 2 hours upon arrival!) and look for a different accommodation. I went to the hotel manager to communicate our decision letting her know that I do not have anything against the hotel, I actually love it but that I have something against the fact that it is advertised as being 70m away from the beach, a totally impracticable beach. Her response was that she is selling the hotel and not the beach which is public and she printed out the cancellation policy which states that a 2 night rate accommodation fee is to be charged in case of cancellation. I mentioned to her that I will not pay this amount because I believe this is untruthful advertising and asked her if she would take her children to that beach. The response was: “I do not have the luxury to take my kids to any beach because I have to work”. I found the response rude and totally uncalled for. The normal approach would have been: ”I apologize for the inconvenience, unfortunately there is nothing our hotel can do about the beach issue but, I strongly recommend the beach in Balchik or a 15 minute drive towards Cape Kaliakra.”. WE did not cancel the room because the next morning we decided to take a trip to Balchik and check out the beach there and we found out that a drive was not that much of a hustle. The next day we discovered the wonderful almost secluded beach at Cape Kaliakra.

I hope you’ll find this review helpful.

Room Tip: B7 has a somewhat sea view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Maria-Iulia P

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Excellent hotel, great and very clean rooms. I recomend this hotel to everybody.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed May 28, 2012

It's maybe the best place in Kavarna, for sure it has one of the best sea-views.

Very large and clean apartments with all the things necessary. Cleaned every day if required.

It has a decent breakfast option and a nice bar (with room service).
The pool is quite nice, the terrace also.

The only issue it's a bit far from the center of the town (some 2-3 km) and in the center of the town we haven't seen any taxi service. A personal car recommended.
Also nearby not so many options to have fun, but being close to the beach is quite nice. Also, maybe later in the season there are some taverns nearby in May there was none

Room Tip: Get upper floor rooms, the view is great!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mircea S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kavarna
Hotel Elit Palace and Spa
#61 of 110 in Golden Sands
Hotel Onyx
Hotel Onyx
#6 of 15 in Kiten

Been to Royal Cove Residence? Share your experiences!