“Nice peaceful getaway!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 8 Buccoo B&B and Inns
Chaguanas
“Nice peaceful getaway!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

My wife and I first spent our honeymoon at Enchanted Waters some 7 years ago. The accommodation was selected for us by my brother-in-law as his wedding present, so I had no input in choosing the place.

When we got there, we were greeted by Roger (great guy) who told us that since we were a bit early (before lunch), that our room was not just yet ready but we could leave our luggage with him, have lunch somewhere (never the one to insist that we eat at his place, good ole Roger) and by the time we got back, our room would certainly be ready.

When we got back, indeed it was and my wife and I proceeded to have a beautiful honeymoon there. We spent three days in total. The staff was friendly and never overly inquisitive, Roger and his folks were always at our disposal if we needed anything (Roger even arranged a car rental for a decent price at no charge), and the kitchen/restaurant was awesome!

Since then I've been back to "Patino's" with my family only once, as it seems everytime I call Roger the place is fully booked! I guess that's always a good sign when you're in the hospitality business!

Room Tip: The hotel is a small one, but has two floors to choose from and there is a honeymoon suite, so don...
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trinlimer

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Port of Spain, Trinidad
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

This hotel is anything but enchanting. The grounds are not upkept at all, the restaurant was supposedly under renovations however there was not a sign of any work being done, the entire premises including our room was full of mosquitoes and flies. We had no adequate maid service, the maid would only pass and change our towels and not even make the beds and sweep and mop the floors it was disgusting. There is no other staff member besides Roger who seems to really be a one man team. The location of the place isn't encouraging either, maybe if you rent or bring along your own vehicle but if not you have to pay rather exorbitant fares to get out to the best beaches on the island and restaurants. The only positives i can give is the pool is adequate it is not too deep but the walls of it needs to be cleaned. There is too much unkempt bush on the premises and this causes too many
insects. The room is cosy enough and that's about the best part. Also there is a mini refrigerator which did not really keep our drinks cold and there is not even an ice maker on the premises one of the other guests had to make ice in a tray for us. I will never take my family back to this place again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank nikih840

Travelers are raving about these Buccoo hotels

Trinidad
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

I was very disappointed, when we got to the hotel our room was not ready and hot( although we called ahead and hr before), the grounds are unkempt ,we got a room on the ground floor big mistake, there was a frog in the Kitchenette cupboard and outside the room especially when the rain fell, this was very uncomfortable especially with the kids , so we had to check every morning before going into the kitchenette,the older couple were so unpleasant and not very accommodating, she even spoke very harshly to the kids ,Roger on the other hand was some what pleasant, one would get the feeling that you didn't pay for your stay but begged for a free room, the one plus was the pool the kids loved it ( adults too :) ), it was always warm and not very deep, in all if you do decide to still stay there ask for a top floor room, don't stay there during the day, you don't feel welcome, walk with food either to cook or fast food,water and dish washing liquid, it is not provided.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Nicole A
San Fernando, Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2010

Enchanted Waters isn’t your average hotel...it's way more! For starters, it’s family owned and only has 10 rooms, and is nestled in a unique setting of water fountains, fish ponds and foliage. It’s a true nature retreat! The hotel is located about 2 minutes driving time from the Mt. Irvine Beach, but is also within driving distance of Pigeon Point, Store Bay and other local beaches. The hotel has a restaurant- Patino’s that serves breakfast and dinner. However there are other restaurants nearby that you could also try. The hotel offers free wireless internet, which is a huge plus.

I had previously stayed at the hotel four years before with my family and fell in love with it then. So, this time I decided to bring my fiancé along to enjoy the experience. In my previous stay, my family and I stayed in both the Executive and Honeymoon Suites. Those were large with big TVs and Jacuzzis. This time, I decided to stay in a Standard suite. Our room was on the second floor, so we overlooked the water fountain and fish pond. There is a ceiling fan as well as air condition and louvered windows, so you can choose to get fresh air or use the a/c.

The best feature of the room is the kitchenette on the balcony-mini fridge, stove top, sink, microwave, toaster, coffee percolator and full set of dishes. It was so lovely having breakfast in the balcony on mornings, with the birds flying by right there. The room and bathroom were clean and spacious. However, the TV in the standard suite is rather small as it is fits neatly into the closet space. Also, guests are only provided with a bar of soap, so it is advisable to walk with your shampoo, conditioner, shower cap and body lotion. Also, the bath mat provided had a hole in it, so the hotel needs to get some new towels.

While we didn’t interact much with staff, the three encounters we had with the owner were quite nice. Mr. Roger Patino was very friendly and helpful, both for the check-in and check-out process and also when we had questions about the internet. (To use the internet, you need to get the password from the staff at the bar, but this was not stated upon check-in.)

Because of the size of the hotel, it was fairly quiet and we even had the pool to ourselves, which was great! While we saw guests coming in and out from our balcony, we never bumped into any, so there was never the feeling of being in a crowded hotel.

One downside of the hotel though is that they don’t have an elevator, so you have to carry your luggage up the stairs to your room. (Unless you’re staying on the ground floor, in which case you’re fine.)

While we were there, there was some construction going on for a new fish pond. However, the noise was only heard on Monday, which didn’t really bother us that much as we were checking out on that morning anyway. The construction is only supposed to last for three weeks, so that is something to keep in mind when staying here.

Overall, I think the hotel is great for the price paid. Part of the reason for staying here was that it is one of the most affordable hotels-the local rate is $450TTD-with comparable hotels costing at least $600TTD (approximately $100USD). Also, the hotel is in a nice area on Shirvan Road and is close to everything-airport, mall, shopping, beaches, supermarkets, Scarborough, etc. My other reason for staying here is that it is just so cosy and unlike other larger hotel chains, so it really gives you that romantic tropical island feel that is truly reminiscent of Tobago. Therefore, I’d highly recommend staying here.

I can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AventuraChica
Trinidad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

Guys this is a really nice hotel. My boyfriend and i stayed here for 3 nights the weekend before Easter, it was a pleasant surprise from the moment we entered the parking lot (where my eyes were closed lol) As i opened the ambiance was just inviting i was like WOW!! (We arrived around 9p.m.) As we entered our room it was really beautiful, clean and cozy.

I loved the room service (clean towels daily) and the outdoor balcony which overlooked the poolside... AMAZING, We ordered breakfast twice it wasn't FULLING but was nice non-the-less( I have a hearty appetite).

10 minutes into town ... what more do u want LOL.. Hope my nxt stay is even better going back in a month's time...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
London, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2010

We stayed at this hotel two years ago, and I’m belatedly putting up a review as my conscience is pricking me, - I use Trip Advisor extensively when booking a holiday, but I’m a bit remiss in actually posting reviews!

Looking back through previous reviews, you either love or hate this hotel! Personally we did not like it. The hotel pictures are a little deceptive, obviously taken at clever angles to make the grounds look extensive and the pool huge, but really it is located on a small plot of land beside a busy road, and the pool is small enough. That being said the gardens are lovely, well planted with extensive trees and shrubs, dotted with pools containing koi carp and miniature shark, and beautifully lit at night. The “enchanted waters” wall of water was not operational at any time whilst we were there.

The rooms themselves were basic enough, but reasonably clean, with adequate bedding and towels. The pool, although it is not as big as it appears on their publicity photographs, was nice and no complaints there.

The food in the restaurant was good and we had some lovely dinners there. We were on a package, and some of our meals were included in the cost of our stay. I really did not like that on the “inclusive” packages, dinner consisted of a set starter and dinner. The starter was always a tiny little plate of chopped lettuce with a slice of tomato thrown in! Dinner itself was fine, and on occasions excellent. But deserts were not deemed to be part of the dinner package and were added to the bill as an extra, even if you had skipped the starter. To swap the set dinner offered with something off the “specials” board or the menu, there was an added cost, which appeared very disproportionate for what appeared to be fairly similar food, - ie a preference for one chicken dish for another. However, must say when we ate off the a la carte menu the food was very good.

We found the breakfasts meagre. You got what you were given on a plate, no choice, and not an awful lot of it, and we’re not roly poly gannets! Normally, on holiday anywhere, we have a latish breakfast and earlyish dinner and that is sufficient, but in this hotel we needed to have a snack or a meal at lunchtime to fill the gap.

So, not saying they didn’t feed us, but they seemed overly parsimonious and penny pinching with the food! Both for breakfast and set dinners.

I think the other thing that was a little disingenous were the photographs on their website showing tables set up outside for meals. The weather was beautiful when we were in Tobago, and something we particularly enjoy when on holiday away from chilly England, is to sit outside and eat. This was not an option. They did offer any outside eating, and we did in fact ask about this and were told this was not available. How difficult is it, to set up a table or two, six feet outside the restaurant?

The hotel does have a little kitchen on the patio, which is a nice extra, especially if you have children in your party. However, when we travel, the last thing I want to do is cook! We stayed in the hotel during the day on a couple of days of our visit. We noticed the owners and the staff cooked and ate lunch themselves in the restaurant. They don’t serve lunch to guests, which we understood, this is a small hotel with only ten rooms. But we asked them if they would make us a sandwich and they refused. The bar was staffed and open during the day and they were quite happy to sell you a drink, but not prepared to make a cheese sandwich! So, if you couldn’t last out the sight and smell of them eating their own cooked lunches under your nose, you had to get in your car and drive off somewhere else to eat at lunchtime!

I suppose what I disliked about the hotel were the owners. They were not really friendly or welcoming. Most of staff seemed OK, but you definitely got the impression they were looking over their shoulders and were being ruled with a fist of iron by the owners.

The owners definitely gave the impression they would rather you weren’t there, especially during the day. It is also their family home, and often they would have friends over during the day to use the pool and have lunch with them.

Their grandson, aged about 8, was at the hotel during our stay, and quite frankly he was a nusiance. Apparently the rule for him was that he was not allowed to use the pool if there was no one there. If there was no one in the pool and you were sitting outside your room he would pester you to go and have a swim, and if you were in the pool he wanted you to play with him. I was floating in the pool one day enjoying the Caribbean sun and he wanted me to play with him and when I told him I was too tired, (exhausting, all this pool floating!!!), he made a real fuss and insisted that the floater I was using, was his and I had to give it to him, NOW. We like children, but we really do not go on holiday to mind someone else’s child.

We booked this hotel as the first leg of an island hopping trip around the Caribbean and travelled on to Antigua, where we stayed all inclusive at Jolly Beach Hotel. I must say, comparing the two hotels, Jolly Beach wins hands down. Saying that Jolly Beach is a totally different type of hotel, very large, multiple restaurants and pools and totally set up for tourism.

We liked Tobago very much, beautiful beaches and we liked the fact it was not as developed as other Caribbean islands. But I must say we did not feel particularly comfortable at this hotel, we almost felt as if we were unwelcome guests in a family home. I realise our opinion is very different from some other guests who have posted here, and I sincerely wonder if we just so happen to have hit them on a “bad week”, - but really if you are in the hospitality business you really have to grit your teeth and smile, regardless of else is going on with you.

Our main criticism of this hotel was the attitude of the owners towards the guests. It's a very small hotel, and was not particularly busy when we were there, so it really would not have taken much, except a little effort, to be a little friendier and we would have been happy to give them a higher rating.

Before we booked this hotel we were attracted to their statement on their website "come as a guest, leave as a friend and return as part of our family". This certainly was not our experience and we felt we had spent a lot of money on this trip and it was extremely disappointing to leave Tobago feeling so unwelcome and it has certainly put us off staying in small, family run hotels in the future.

This hotel would appeal to independent travellers, who are happy to leave after breakfast and tour the island or visit a beach for the day and return in the evening for a nice dinner. You definately need a car if you are staying here and it is not within walking distance of beaches or shops. There are a few restaurants nearby, probably within walking distance, but the main drag is certainly a car ride away. It is a small and fairly basic hotel. However, if you like all your mod cons, chilling out at the pool during the day and expecting lunch, and any kind of evening entertainment, this hotel is not for you.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Anji
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2010

Wanted to plan a last minute trip to Tobago, but b/c it was Jan 1, most hotels were booked, or required a 3 night min. stay. This hotel took our reservation, cut us a very beneficial deal when they made a mistake-- and called back right away to offer us the new arrangement. When we got there, the landscaping on the property was gorgeous. The rooms were fairly simple, but were very clean and had everything we needed-- including an adorable kitchenette on the balcony. The staff was friendly and helpful, plus there was free wi-fi which was awesome. If you stay here, you must eat dinner at the restaurant hotel-- they're not kidding when they say the chef is amazing; that was a delicious meal. We were only staying a very short time due to time constraints, and when we told them we had to leave for the ferry at 5am, they arranged a taxi for us. The surrounding area doesn't offer much to see, but everyone goes to the beach anyway during the day. My only regret is that we weren't able to stay here longer!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank stm1116
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buccoo
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
#1 of 3 in Crown Point
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,460 reviews
Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Enchanted Waters Tobago? Share your experiences!