“Fabulous restaurant but tired bedrooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Nags Head Residential Country Inn & Restaurant

The Nags Head Residential Country Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Pickhill B&B and Inns
Greetham, United Kingdom
“Fabulous restaurant but tired bedrooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Our first impressions were not great because out bedroom was small and with very tired decor. However things picked up when we came down to dinner! The bar was friendly and local in atmosphere and then we had the best pub grub ever! Such a simple idea to take pub classics but cook them to the very highest standards. The scampi, chicken, steak pie and chips all sound a bit boring. They weren't! The best chips we have ever eaten, triple cooked and sensational! The scampi was fresh and lightly tempura battered. The steak pie was everything most steak pies are not, succulent and with fabulous shortcrust pastry on top, actually all cooked together. Dinner was fabulous. So was breakfast. What a shame the beds are so uncomfortable!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Walkinggranny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Hull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Having just returned home have to say this is a gem of a place. The food is excellent, well prepared and remained that way throughout the visit. Accommodation is clean and comfortable.
The whole experience was one to be repeated in the not too distant future. Location gave easy access to stunning countryside from the nearby A1(M).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeffrey P
Tenby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Nags Head on the 10th-13th May with another four couples, all of us keen MG Midget K series owners. This accommodation was chosen for our base due to its handy location for touring both the Dales and the Moors. As soon as we arrived we were welcomed by the landlord, Edward. Our room for the weekend was very comfortable and the food available from the menu of a high standard. The breakfasts were great with lots of choice. We loved the Tap Room. It had a great pub atmosphere and the beer was brill. It was very well looked after by Edward who had won awards for the care he took over it. The locals were also friendly and always up for a chat.
We would definitely stay there again and recommend it to others.

Stanley, Falkland Islands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Only stayed one night, but it was very comfortable and the food was tasty and wholesome, with the breakfast carefully cooked and presented.

A large choice for dinner, even though the venison ran out, and we had a delay of about 30 minutes when ordering. But we weren't in a hurry, and the food was worth waiting for. Professional and attentive staff.

Room Tip: Don't miss the wonderful, infallible Weather Stone outside!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peterscot
Bedale, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I'd heard nothing but good reviews about the Nags Head before I visited, so I was looking forward to a potentially good meal. However as soon as my friend and I walked into the 'Tap Room' we were completely ignored by the barman, who was more interesting in talking to the locals. We were forced to go into the 'Lounge Bar' where we were greeted by an obnoxious women who was generally rude throughout the evening.
I was hoping the meal would go some way to making up for the poor service but that was wishful thinking. My starter tasted of nothing more than salt and the chips that came with my main were burnt, the scampi however was lovely.
I will definitely not be returning here in the near future and strongly recommend others to give this place a wide berth.

Visited 17th May 2013

• 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank IMJB_BC
JanB59, Owner at The Nags Head Residential Country Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
I have no idea who you are as we have not been made aware of any such problems occurring - if you had indicated at the time you were not happy we could have dealt with your complaint. We assume your friends meal was satisfactory? It is very easy to sit anonymously behind a computer! Please bear this in mind when visiting other establishments. We take great pride in the service we deliver and obviously failed to satisfy on this occasion.
Lisburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

I recently stayed at The Nags Head, with a group of friends and found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. The food was superb (Chef done very well), the breakfast ample and the beer smooth and cold. Contrary to sallymb23, I will be back, in fact September 2014!

The rooms were comfortable, en suite and with tea and coffee making facilities.

I imagine this building is very old, so reflected by the squeaky floor boards and the endless bouts of 'snoring' from my room neighbours!

Anyone embarking on a 'dirty weekend' needs to be aware of this!?

Lot et Garonne, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I visited this pub with my family recently. When I entered the bar I overheard the barman being very rude and impatient with my daughter and her husband. Apparantly he needed all the drink orders at once rather than one at a time - I am not quite sure how this can be achieved with the human language - we can only speak one word at a time. His attitude was the same with me. He kept repeating that he needed the order all at the same time, with no pausing to ask another member of the group what they wanted. I could go on and on, but the result is the same - one very rude barman. I eventually tackled him about it and he gave some lame excuse - in my book, if the customer is being polite (which we were) and spending quite a lot of money (we are a large family) then there is absolutely no excuse for rudeness in this business. We had a narrow escape as we were originally going to have Sunday lunch here but my son booked somewhere else. I will NEVER go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank sallymb23
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pickhill
Solberge Hall Hotel
#2 of 5 in Thirsk
The Kings Arms
The Kings Arms
#9 of 23 in Thirsk

Been to The Nags Head Residential Country Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!