“Comfortable; good food and service”

The Nags Head Residential Country Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Pickhill B&B and Inns
Stanley, Falkland Islands
“Comfortable; good food and service”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Only stayed one night, but it was very comfortable and the food was tasty and wholesome, with the breakfast carefully cooked and presented.

A large choice for dinner, even though the venison ran out, and we had a delay of about 30 minutes when ordering. But we weren't in a hurry, and the food was worth waiting for. Professional and attentive staff.

Room Tip: Don't miss the wonderful, infallible Weather Stone outside!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peterscot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Bedale, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I'd heard nothing but good reviews about the Nags Head before I visited, so I was looking forward to a potentially good meal. However as soon as my friend and I walked into the 'Tap Room' we were completely ignored by the barman, who was more interesting in talking to the locals. We were forced to go into the 'Lounge Bar' where we were greeted by an obnoxious women who was generally rude throughout the evening.
I was hoping the meal would go some way to making up for the poor service but that was wishful thinking. My starter tasted of nothing more than salt and the chips that came with my main were burnt, the scampi however was lovely.
I will definitely not be returning here in the near future and strongly recommend others to give this place a wide berth.

Visited 17th May 2013

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank IMJB_BC
JanB59, Owner at The Nags Head Residential Country Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
I have no idea who you are as we have not been made aware of any such problems occurring - if you had indicated at the time you were not happy we could have dealt with your complaint. We assume your friends meal was satisfactory? It is very easy to sit anonymously behind a computer! Please bear this in mind when visiting other establishments. We take great pride in the service we deliver and obviously failed to satisfy on this occasion.
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I recently stayed at The Nags Head, with a group of friends and found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. The food was superb (Chef done very well), the breakfast ample and the beer smooth and cold. Contrary to sallymb23, I will be back, in fact September 2014!

The rooms were comfortable, en suite and with tea and coffee making facilities.

I imagine this building is very old, so reflected by the squeaky floor boards and the endless bouts of 'snoring' from my room neighbours!

Anyone embarking on a 'dirty weekend' needs to be aware of this!?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Lot et Garonne, France
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I visited this pub with my family recently. When I entered the bar I overheard the barman being very rude and impatient with my daughter and her husband. Apparantly he needed all the drink orders at once rather than one at a time - I am not quite sure how this can be achieved with the human language - we can only speak one word at a time. His attitude was the same with me. He kept repeating that he needed the order all at the same time, with no pausing to ask another member of the group what they wanted. I could go on and on, but the result is the same - one very rude barman. I eventually tackled him about it and he gave some lame excuse - in my book, if the customer is being polite (which we were) and spending quite a lot of money (we are a large family) then there is absolutely no excuse for rudeness in this business. We had a narrow escape as we were originally going to have Sunday lunch here but my son booked somewhere else. I will NEVER go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank sallymb23
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I got the nags head from the ripon races site. Because we booked with site we had buy one get one free on race tickets! I was sent a confirmation email saying I had a room and tickets but did we want a evening meal. We didn't but on arrival we were asked again unsure what are plans were! We didn't have the evening meal! But during breakfast the staff were very rude! When booking out we were told that we were only entitled to the tickets if we had the evening meal! This wasn't stated in any emails or on the ripon races site! The staff extremely rude! This was weekend away to celebrate my partners 40th and also are first weekend away since having are child! So we wanted to make the most and not go back to a quiet pub! The accommodation is wonderful but the staff so unprofessional. We were planning on booking a family weekend away but will not be going back!!!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank 86sophie
JanB59, Owner at The Nags Head Residential Country Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Madam
Thank you for your comments. We are sorry you feel the need to write your review in such a manner. We do offer a discount for Ripon Race Tickets (as displayed on our special offers on our website) which includes a Dinner Allowance, Bed & Breakfast and 2 for 1 Race Tickets amounting to a discount of about £23.00. As it was a busy Saturday evening we did ask by email and on your arrival about a dinner table. You did not say you were not dining otherwise we would have pointed out in more detail the offer price. So we assumed, wrongly, that you would be returning for dinner. At no time was there any rudeness - just pointing out the fact of the deal so that any future bookings would be clear. I hope this helps if you are looking for cheap deals elsewhere.
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I recently spent three nights at the Nag's Head, and definitely made a great choice when we booked to stay there! We had a super room/suite in the building adjacent to the pub, and it was spacious and comfortable, with great views across the surrounding countryside. It was our first visit to the Nag's Head, and I can't see it being our last! We visit North Yorkshire fairly often, and have rarely found a place which ticks all the boxes like this one - superb food, real ales (properly looked after), peaceful village location, friendly hosts, and every member of staff was lovely, so friendly, and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bluesboy52
Portsmouth
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I joined a group of colleagues for 1 night in this wonderful place.
The food was absolutely exceptional and the drinks to compliment was both of stunning quality (check out the Armagnac) and reasonably priced.
From the warm fire in the front bar to the warm service throughout the restaurant, it was a great nights stay.

The rooms were all clean, well provisioned and comfortable. Plenty of room to work and warm from the grizzly chill outside.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pickhill
Lodge At Leeming Bar
The Angel at Topcliffe Hotel
The Kings Arms
The Kings Arms
#8 of 23 in Thirsk

Been to The Nags Head Residential Country Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!