“Great view, terrible food and service”

Baybreeze Restaurant & Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pocologan
Grand Bay-Westfield, Canada
“Great view, terrible food and service”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stopped in for first time to try this restaurant. Only 1 other table occupied but waitress took her time before taking our order. I felt like we were a bother. She decided to slowly set the table behind us first before taking our drink order and eventually serving it in a cloudy glass. The owners of the restaurant were very nice. My husband's lobster stew tasted like it was cooked with frozen canned lobster, little flavour. I had the seafood platter which was terrible. The scallops were yellow and mushy from a long freezer burn, the 5 clams tasted like old grease, the haddock was thin and soggy. Fries were frozen and the gravy had a funny taste. We then decided to make up for the meal with dessert, the raspberry cream pie was tasteless, the meringue was hard on top and dark brown, the raspberry on the pie tasted like raspberry jam or jelly, I had the coconut cream which was flat, watery and tasteless. $70.00 later, I would have to say it was the worst meal I have ever had.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sydney
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Friends from Saint John recommended this restaurant to us, as we travelling up from Maine. We were not disappointed. Great, fresh seafood, Greek style. We were the only customers; it was towards the end of their 'season' and lateish in the day. Service was prompt and efficient, the food was delicious.

I am only commenting on the restaurant here - we did not stay at the motel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Arncliffegirl
New Glasgow, Canada
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is a has been diner where everyone has given up because they are no longer in a traffic area. The food is obviously pre cooked and tasteless. My wife had a steak that was over cooked, and tasteless, My Slovakia was OK but had no taste. The vegetables were the worst I have encountered anywhere - total tasteless, watery mush - they had to be sitting in water all day - even frozen vegies can be made better. We ordered white wine - no white so we took the only other choice - some old lableless red that tasted like it was opened a long time ago.

When we asked for rice she said "I was supposed to cook rice today" - not sure why it could not be cooked to order.

Overall I just want to warn others to avoid this place. Instead take $50 and use it as BBQ lighter - it would be better spent.

Room Tip: Can't comment on the rooms - did not stay here. Just DO NOT EAT here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ray K
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This review is for the restaurant only. Having eaten here a few times in the past and enjoyed it, I was eager to go here with my sister and her family. To start, the waitress tipped her tray and spilled pop all over my niece. Not just a bit- my niece was completely soaked. We felt bad for the waitress because she said it was her first day. The owner brought towels but was not very apologetic, even though we were being very nice about it. My daughter's grilled cheese was very burned- if I had made this in my home I would have thrown it in the garbage. The milkshakes that two of us ordered were little more than small glasses of milk- for 5 dollars a glass. When the bill came nothing was taken off, not even the glass of pop. I feel bad leaving a bad review for a place I have enjoyed in the past, but this was unbelievable. I will never eat here again.

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank 4isalot
Fredericton, N.B.
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Since the new four lane (Route 1) is now finished from Calais, Maine to Saint John, New Brunswick, BayBreeze Restaurant and Motel is now on Route 175 at Pocologan. Coming from Calais on Route 1, take Exit 69 and follow signs to Pocologan. Coming from Saint John, take Exit 86, then immediate right to Pocologan on Route 175. Bay Breeze is on the same spot with the same spectacular Bay of Fundy view.
BayBreeze has been our favourite spot over many years. The owners and staff are warm and welcoming. It's just the best seafood we have eaten.
(the hamburgers are good too)
M and C Sears, Fredericton , N.B.

Room Tip: Unit five is our favourite
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank sears284
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

We stop here every year on our way down to the US from Canada. It's a friendly, family run restaurant with simple, hearty Maritime food like hot turkey sandwich or grilled cheese & chips. The view from the terrace of the ocean is amazing. Great pit stop for the whole family.

• Stayed July 2012
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stopped here on our trip through the East Coast, look very carefully so as not to miss this great place! It was the best meal we've had in New Brunswick. Excellent home cooked food, the seafood was fresh (Lobster Newburg was sooo good) and tasty. All the desserts were home made (we loved the cherry and apple pie). The place is not big or fancy but has the most incredible views of the water, and excellent, quality, fresh food at reasonable prices. You can eat inside or out on the patio and listen to waves below :) It's a family run place that has been there for 35 years, locals and returning visitors made it a pleasurably place to be. We can't wait to return. You gotta eat here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Beary-Canadians
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pocologan
Granite Town Hotel
The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection
Picket Fence Motel
Picket Fence Motel
#2 of 7 in Saint Andrews

Been to Baybreeze Restaurant & Motel? Share your experiences!