“A defining experience--not just for Americans/Brits/French”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Omaha Beach

Omaha Beach
Book In Advance
More Info
$66.61*
and up
Half-Day Small-Group Tour to American D-Day Beaches from Bayeux
More attraction details
Owner description: This historic beach was the primary point of landing on June 6, 1944, for the entry of American forces into World War II and saw some of the most intense fighting in the entire war.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A defining experience--not just for Americans/Brits/French”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

You don't have to be an American/Brit/French to appreciate Omaha Beach. I don't think anyone needs Trip Advisor to persuade them to come to Omaha Beach, if you know of its history, then you are already going to come.

Helpful hints: I went in the middle of February and there was no one around, so there was plenty of parking and room to walk around and snap a ton of photographs. This whole area is definitely a summer town so I would not expect many places to be open or open for very long. If you plan on going during Memorial Weekend or any other special holiday I would book ages in advance. By the look of the area, there is not enough parking or room for an influx of people and it lies within a small french town with winding roads and roundabouts. I could not imagine this place sustaining a rush of people during a holiday.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank J V

• Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Hard to imagine someone not being moved by this site”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Americans should be proud of what was achieved here, at such a cost, but also how well the memorial and cemetery has been created and maintained.

If you find battlefields and memorials "average", I suggest you don't waste your time here.
Perhaps you don't realize how your life is affected by events such as the Normandy landings.

I would advise that you make a real effort to come to the Omaha Beach memorial at a less visited time. It is a truly somber and memorable area and fewer visitors will greatly enhance your time. I would recommend a visit to the Arromanches 360 degree theater and one of the areas WW2 museums, such as the particularly good museum, Musée Airborne at St. Mere Eglise.

You will need to go through a security area.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank falconfling1
Saint-Remy-de-Provence, France
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 179 helpful votes
“Battle Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

I think whatever you write is not enough.

Consider all the comments/advice but please take the time to just reflect on this naturally forceful point on earth, a place in time when an enormous effort was made by so many ordinary people to change the course of history.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Etranger2all
Copley, Ohio
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Amazing to see it in person, but seems wrong to use as a sunspot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

Just seeing this beach and looking at the size and the defensive setup, you can then see what the men who landed here endured to reach the goal. While it is now quiet save for the locals who now use it as a regular beach which I guess I can understand but knowing what happened there I couldn't imagine wanting to go there for that purpose especially out of respect for those who never made it off the beach. But you really need to visit this to truly take in the size and magnitude of everything.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank roachpapa13
Boston, Massachusetts
96 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Forever etched in time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Forever etched in our minds and memories. My husband and I walked down to the beach in silence, left to our thoughts by our English tour guide who respected our space. We gazed down the long beach recalling and imagining years and tears of many gone bye. The bluffs, the rocks , the walls, the waters edge, depict this now quiet and serene setting which holds so much history in its hands. We were to come back one more time later in the day to see this place and experience our own determination in getting to the top when we discovered the Cemetary to be closed! (see my notes on Colleville-sur-Mer Cemetary.

Visited October 2013