La Sapiniere
Villa Omaha(Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsomaha beachamerican cemeterymusselsprivate balconylanding beachesnormandy beachesfamily roomearly septemberhotel groundssur merquicheone night stayfour nightslovely hotelloftsitesmonument
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My father, brother and I stayed here for our trip to the D-Day beaches of Normandy. It made a great home base. The owner and staff were helpful and friendly and made our stay comfortable. The breakfast selection is fantastic with fresh bread, cheese, ham, juice and fantastic coffee!
Rooms are simple but clean and comfortable. Just a 2 minute walk to the beach makes it worthwhile. Plan to come back someday with my wife.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We really enjoyed staying here. It is on a very quiet location on the road behind Omaha Beach which you can access just a stone's throw away on a path through the dunes. I have no idea how busy it will be in the summer, but now in April you had the impression that you were in the countryside.

The room was spacious. We were at the ground floor and it had a nice terras with table and chairs. Bathroom is small but convenient with a big showerhead which was nice. The bathroom is too small to have a toilet, so that was separate. The toilet had no wash basin and that was for me the only negative point of the room.

The restaurant has a nice casual feel to it. I really liked the missmatch of tables and chairs. The food was really good. The owners and staff were very nice and it was certainly convenient that they speak English, especially the owner Isabelle.

Next to the hotel is a German bunker with a cannon which is now a monument. It is unnerving to see that this cannon could easily cover the whole beach. Walking on the beach is walking on history. It really hits home what terrible events took place here when you walk there and look at the dunes and further in the distance the cliffs.

This hotel is a perfect location to explore the rest of the D-Day beaches, Bayeux (Tapistry and Cathredal) and Mont Saint Michel (1-1/5 hour drive). The small memorial museum of St. Laurent sur Mère is worth a visit. Very touching to see photographs of the beach and surroundings at the time of the invasion and items found on the beach throughout the years, such as pictures and letters home.

We had a nice 4 day holiday here!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hanneke_8
Reviewed April 17, 2012

My brother and I recently went to the Normandy area to visit the various D-Day sites and stayed at La Sapiniere. My poor words will probably not do the hotel or its owner/staff justice, but in every respect, our stay at La Sapiniere was outstanding.

The hotel is just steps from Omaha Beach and is perfectly located to visit all of the D-Day memorials in the area. Do yourself a favor and walk out onto the beach at sunrise. Taking in the view and thinking about the solemn history of that place will take your breath away.

What was most special about La Sapiniere was its owner and staff, who were friendly and did everything in their power to make our stay pleasant. And the restaurant located at the hotel is an absolute hidden gem. The food is some of the best food I have ever eaten.

The trip to Normandy was one of the most moving, wonderful experiences of my life and I highly recommend that if you take in the history of the D-Day landings, you stay at La Sapiniere.

Matt

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Matthew T
Reviewed October 22, 2011

La Sapiniere provides an extremely pleasant place when visiting Omaha Beach. The attention to my wishes was spirited and personal without ever being cloying. The food was great, very fresh. There is a strong sense of community here, I think many locals come here for the restaurant. The proprietress (Isabelle) and the staff were most kind and helpful, gave many suggestions, let me borrow a bicycle and make terrific coffee. For an American visiting the site of so much enormous sacrifice, it was especially satisfying to stay at a place that was quiet and reflective, yet well-organised and personal. I can well imagine staying here at just about any time of year (I stayed in mid-October) and recommend it highly to anyone, either one craving solitude or travelling about with loved ones.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank ehectorjones
Reviewed October 19, 2011

This is a brilliant, privately owned hotel. The rooms are basic but spotlessly clean. The staff is outstanding (warm, attentive, helpful, patient with broken French) and the location just across the street from Omaha Beach was absolutely amazing. The staff is a close-knit group of about five people who REALLY care about you and your enjoyment. The rooms are spread across two buildings and the restaurant serves as the base for checking in, eating and engaging the staff.
Speaking of the restaurant, it has a big open fireplace which was amazing to sit by and each afternoon we enjoyed a cold tap beer by the hot fire. The food was so food, and the restaurant convenient, that we ended up eating breakfast and dinner there all 4 days and were not disappointed once! I especially recommend the pork ribs, but there is a lot to choose from as well as daily specials. We were there a few quiet days in October and still the restaurant was near full each night with a mix of locals and tourists.
Whether you are looking for a spot on the coast to enjoy the beautiful scenery or on a WWII based history trip, this would be an amazing spot to stay. We were less than an hours drive to anything in Normandy, and only about 15 minutes to Bayeux. The American Cemetary is only 5 minutes drive and we were able to get there just as it opened to see a flag raising ceremony which was an emotional experience. We also took a day trip to Mont St Michele which I highly recommend. It was a two hour drive, but well worth it for a day trip.
The beach provided hours of fun for our children who ran on the beach and played in the tidal pools (too cold to swim in October!). At the hotel they also had outdoor areas to run and play as well as a ping-pong table and bocce court which our kids really enjoyed.
The restaurant was an added bonus as we ended up eating breakfast and dinner there 4 days straight and were never disappointed!
There is also a small farm, just up the hill, of the same name that does calvados and cidre tours and tastings which we all really enjoyed.
Enjoy!

Room Tip: One of the family rooms, with an upper loft that has two twin beds, was great for our family of 4.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family