“Fishermen's Platter”
Review of Furneaux Lodge

Furneaux Lodge
Reviewed April 19, 2009

We did a day trip to Furneaux Lodge on a lunch cruise. We order the Fishermen's Platter, thinking that this resort tucked deep within the Marlborough Sounds would surely offer a tasty selection. What we got was half a plate of wedges, and a mixed selection of fish bites, crumbed prans, samosas, spring rolls .... AND CHICKEN NIBBLES ... all out of a packet!! Not exactly what we expected of a Fishermens Platter and we would have rather had more of a quality dish of fresh seafood and less quantity.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 20, 2009

We recently spent the first night on the Queen Charlotte Track at Furneaux Lodge. We were in one of the older 2 bedroom cabins, which were acceptable but certainly not flash. Dinner was great, however breakfast was shocking. The dining room did not open till 8am, and so we arrived at 8.15am. There were 2 large guided groups in at the same time, and clearly they had priority. The staff did not cope, they were arguing and you could tell the stress levels were high. We finally received our breakfast at 9.25am - after waiting 55 minutes. My recommendation to Furneaux is that they open the dining room at 7.30am and train the staff better. It was too much of a bottleneck with everyone staying arriving for breakfast at 8am. If there are large groups staying, have a lie in, and go down for breakfast after 9am otherwise you will just sit around waiting. It has an awesome location, and a glass of wine on the terrace in the afternoon is a must!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 11, 2009

Based on the reviews I'd seen, I expected this place to be horrendous. We were very pleasantly surprised to find exactly the opposite. We had a newly renovated, large, private room complete with heated tiles in the bathroom. We had a great view of the sound, as well as a hammock right outside of our room. We ate at the restaurant, which was quite good. If you're hiking the Queen Charlotte, this is definitely a good place to stop for a night's rest. I'd even stay here for a night or two if not hiking, but I think you'd get bored with any more time than that.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank valifornia
Reviewed January 4, 2009

The backpackers (The Croft) & bunk cabins (Possum's Nest) are best described as abandoned buildings with musty smell, which the owners squeezed in a few beds with clean sheets to make easy money. The buildings are so neglected (hole in concrete floor, cobwebs everywhere) that you question yourself why you're paying for your night's stay there. Toilets are not properly cleaned, all the workers did were restock toilet paper and replace hand towels. Overall, quite yucky.

The Studio units look quite new & flash but expensive. Maybe this is why the conflicting reviews. Even those who stayed at the Chalet complained that it was yucky & not properly cleaned.

The only thing nice about Furneaux Lodge is its compound & location, nothing else. Stay here only if it's the last resort. Try the nearby Blue Water Lodge for vacancy 1st.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2008

By far the worst place we stayed at during our 6 week tour of NZ.

We stayed in Furneaux Lodge in mid November, whilst doing a two day walk on the Queen Charlotte Trail. As we already had a camper doing nothing in Picton at over NZ$200 a day we had booked the cheaper, Possum Lodge, accommodation (“units with a double bed includes linen, tea and coffee facilities”). We had come across many similar types of cabin on campsites, all of which looked fine. So we were really disappointed at what we found here.

As another reviewer has stated the rooms smelt musty. But the floor was dirty (dead flies and sweet papers) and the shelves and windows sills had obviously not been cleaned either (dirty marks which I could easily remove). At least the sheets were clean. The room was minimal size, with just enough room to move either side of the bed. There was just one hook on the wall to hang up clothes, towels and anything else (our neighbour said she had none at all).

Worst of all were the washing facilities. The only sink (basin) in the men’s was just a pile of broken china in a bucket and there was mess on the floor there too (see photo).

When we complained to staff about all this they apologised and said they would report it to the owner but no action (like cleaning the room or offering a partial refund) was taken. As for the broken sink, they claimed they weren’t aware of it and it was suggested I could use the backpackers’ facilities – a mere 500m away. Just what you want in the middle of the night - even better as the outside lights weren’t working either!

To be fair the food in the restaurant was good, if expensive and with a limited choice.

Check out other accommodation on the route before staying here.

PS Furneaux Lodge recommend using Cougar Lines from Picton for transport of yourselves and luggage. However, we chose Beachcomber Fun Cruises. They were a good bit cheaper (even more so with a discount card), very friendly and it was fun to see the mail being delivered and collected.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Altraveller
Reviewed October 6, 2008

I stayed at Furneaux Lodge last month when my husband and I did 2 days of the Queen Charlotte Track and I have to say they must renovating because our experience was very different to other reviews. Our room was very modern, spotless, very clean, with crispy white sheets and clearly new everything. It was so clean and white I was afraid I would put mud on the floor. The bathroom was huge and one of those that don't have screens or doors (could do with a bench for your clothes though). The bed was one of those dreamy comfortable beds you fall into and never want to get out of. Absolutely perfect after a days walking.

We had excellent service and would recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank fijidreamer
Reviewed June 25, 2008

I travel a lot for work. While on a trip to the Marlborough Sounds, I stayed in Furneaux Lodge. What a place! My room, one of the chalets, was gorgeous. The room was large with a comfortable sitting room with an amazing view out over the water. The furnishings were modern and the bed was comfortable. There wasn’t a closet in the room but there were hooks along the wall and hangers to hang your clothes up on.

I was on the second floor and the room below me was occupied. It was very quiet though. The room was extremely clean, except for a spot of mold at the bottom of the curtains (probably not a good idea for people with allergies!) but that tends to happen in such a damp climate.

The bar and restaurant area is done in leather and wood and is a wonderful atmosphere to relax in after a long hike. There is a fireplace in the centre of the room and surprisingly, the restaurant has quite a few choices to offer. The meals were about $23 each. I am a very strict vegetarian and the chef managed to cook up a delicious curry meal for me.

The exterior of the lodge is a little tired but it’s hard to notice when you have such a stunning view in front of you. The staff quarters are above the main bar/lounge and if you look up the stairs, you can see some signs of this. I am a history nut so the background of the place was very interesting. There are lots of newspaper clippings and other info if you want to find out more about it.

I peaked into the backpackers accommodation which looked nice enough. The pillows looked the same as the ones in my room, not like some of the crummy ones that you get in hostels. It looked like there was a nice common room there. The bathroom was pretty basic but no worse than you find in most other hostels. You must pay for the showers but they mention this on the website.

While the lodge might not be to some people’s liking according to other reviews, I would definitely recommend it to my friends and family. It is important to remember that you are staying basically in the middle of nowhere so don’t expect the Shangri La!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business