“"out of the ordinary experience"” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grande Suites

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Surigao City
The Grande Suites
Ranked #6 of 16 Surigao City B&B and Inns
Manila, Philippines
“"out of the ordinary experience"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

We arrived in Surigao by plane from Manila. Reserved 2 rooms thru online. We are welcomed by the grande shuttle, gave us cold bottled water which is a relief because of the hot weather. Very courteous service from their staffs. we arrived a few minutes to the hotel and was surprised by the hotel artistic ambiance and structure. Very elegant furnitures and our rooms are really nice. The bed is comfortable and the smell of the room is so nice and clean. It's like staying in a 5 star hotel. The breakfast in the morning is so filling and with their live cooking, we are really entertained. The view is spectacular. You can see the blue sky and unending water below with the island and mountains,so serene.we never wanted to leave the resto anymore.We met their manager Miss Nori at the front desk and we requested if they could bring us to the pier for our Siargao trip,She said yes and scheduled the time.very nice lady.Definitely coming back to this hotel.Never expected a hotel like this in Surigao City.

Room Tip: stay at their executive suites,more spacious and amenities are the best.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank chelle h

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cebu
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

We ended up having to stay one night in Surigao since we missed our ferry to Siargao. The service is excellent, with the staff being super accommodating with what ever you need. The rooms are nice except it has a really strong ammonia smell (or whatever they use to clean the toilets), that stink up the room. Don't worry the smell goes away (or your nose gets used to it) We couldn't believe the affordable room came with free breakfast AND dinner (worried us a little bit). BUT The dinner was delicious, it's like eating a homecooked meal with a twist. They even offered the free breakfast as room service since at 4am since we had to catch the 5am ferry (EXCELLENT SERVICE). Will definitely stay here when I come back to Surigao.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank belisaciagar
Butuan City, Butuan, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

I travel to surigao for buiness weekly and have stayed here quite a number of times. My favorite thing about it is the 4th floor area where they serve breakfast as a lovely view of the sea and mountains. Their food is good and their staff, very courteous.

The cons would be the location, it is a bit far from everything else in the city but they offer free van trips; and sometimes their pillows/towels smell a bit odd, like laundry that didn't dry properly.

And their "manager" was very rude to me as she was texting me to comfirm my reservation. I reserved two rooms and she insisted that i only reserved one and would not back down as i was100% sure that i booked two rooms as i had just called the hotel the day before. When i asked to speak with the manager, the woman who called me sounded taken aback then immediately told me that SHE was the manager. I told her that i was a frequent customer of their hotel and was very disappointed with how they handled the situation.

To sum it up they screwed up my reservation and instead of apologizing for their mistake they got defensive and blamed me, their weekly customer. I am not coming back to this place. Rude!

Room Tip: Get a room on the 1st floor as they dont have elevators
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Anne A
Newquay, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

We decided to stay in the Grande Suites primarily due to the free transfers as we only had 1 night in Surigao. After staying there we could easily have stayed longer. The small touches really made the difference, the ice-cold water provided free of charge on pick-up from the airport, the driver was really friendly and welcoming. The hotel itself is really modern, clean, spacious, and the staff are fantastic.

The rooms themselves are great, not huge but perfectly adequate, the beds were comfy, aircon quiet (unlike other places we've stayed in the region!), and the showers were amazing!!

Included in the price was breakfast and dinner, both of which were really tasty, and the restaurant is very reasonably priced for any extras you may need.

All in all a great hotel, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Check the website for special offers, then email personally.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BigGreenSurfSchool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

Love this hotel! We arrived at the airport with no accommodation and decided to try one of the hotels offering free transfers to their hotels. We traveled about 10 mins in an air con mini bus to the hotel which is a 5-10 min walk away from the city center. The driver arranged to drop us at the dock the next morning also :) the room is beautiful, dinner and breakfast included in the accommodation price (which was reasonable) staff are absolutely lovely, and the place is modern and spotless! New hotel opened October 2011. Dinner in the lounge was delicious. It's only a shame that there is not much to do in this city because we could easily stay here much longer. Can not fault this hotel on anything.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank erinmcc09
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Grande Suites is tucked in a quiet residential area along the Surigao Bay Area.

I reserved a suite via phone a day before I checked in and was booked for a Deluxe Suite.

"Tucked in a residential area" is the perfect description. It's just an 8-peso, 5-minute tricycle ride away from the plaza, but the driver didn't know where it was (just tell him to turn left at DENR if he doesn't know it yet).

The facade was unimpressive, but seeing how professional and hospitable the front desk staff were, I knew I was in for a treat. Also, I was lucky enough to avail their promo prices (about 25% cheaper than the published price).

I think there's no elevator, but the trip up the stairs is a visual treat of paintings. The stairway's quite narrow, so do take up their offer to carry their bags for you.

The Deluxe Room was small (the bed took up most of the room!), but oh the details! The dark wood furnishing, the high thread count sheets, the bottled toiletry kit, the lighting, the sheer brilliance of the floorplan--check out the closet-- great things do come in small packages. They even provide a bedside TV channel directory--this is the sort of attention to detail you can't get anywhere else in Surigao City. The beautiful bathroom with the rainfall showerhead gives this room a very boutique hotel-feel.

Antonio's Cafe at the top floor was a lovely surprise. It was as sleek as any other posh hotel restaurant with its white highbacked chairs and gleaming surfaces. The pictures on their site do not do it justice; if a quiet dinner is what you want, Antonio's Cafe is the most beautiful spot you could ever be on a typical Surigao night.

The Grande Suites may be small, but it is très chic. Perfect for creatures of comfort and midnight trysts.

Room Tip: Ask about their promo rates!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank The_Spy_Goat
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

First of all, from the city, Grande Suites is easy to find, from the main thoroughfare of Rizal Street turn off alongside Jollibee's, keep going and as one crosses the bridge to San Juan one picks up the directional signs to Grande Suites.

We tried booking electronically via their website and received a “Thank you” acknowledgment, whether that was “Thank you for your reservation” or “Thank you, we'll get back to you” remains a mystery a week later because Grande Suites is yet another Surigao City establishment that doesn't respond to electronic reservation requests, neither the reservation nor our subsequent email to them and as the staff explained, and as we experienced during our stay, despite their advertising Grande Suites didn't have any internet connection.

Having been up since 0345 in the morning and having a busy day shopping in Surigao we decided to check-in at lunchtime, to have lunch in the hotel, before continuing our shopping during the afternoon. Only after we checked in did we discover that the Grande Suites cafe is only open 0700-1000 for breakfast and 1800-2100 for evening meal, there is no daytime food and beverages available.

As the hour of 1800 arrived my partner had gone clothes shopping in the city thus I ventured to the cafe alone awaiting her return. Ordering a San Miguel Pilsen I was informed that they only had the low calorie San Miguel Light available. Enquiring if I would be dining I explained that I was awaiting the return of my partner however, during the meantime, could I take a look at the menu. THERE IS NO MENU and so poor was the waitress's English she found herself unable to clearly explain to me how this supposed cafe operates thus I asked that we wait until my Filipina partner returns.

Upon partner's return it was explained to her that there is no menu, there is no choice of meal, it is one set menu and we were subsequently served a starter of chicken soup, a less than adequate main course of minced pork, the smallest portion of rice I have seen since being in the Philippines, and vegetables followed by a banana and slice of water melon topped with chocolate sauce … water melon topped with chocolate sauce … where are these people coming from?

I'm not a great eater, often I can't eat a full meal, yet even I was still hungry after this minuscule offering yet I couldn't order more because there was no menu to order from nor was there anywhere locally convenient to eat because Grande Suites is in the middle of nowhere!

Thereafter we retired to our room, the deluxe rooms are advertised as being 25sqm, I didn't have my tape measure with me but I'd swear that room 308 is nearer to 20sqm, whilst finding ourselves trying our best to sleep on a somewhat hard and uncomfortable PVC mattress … yes, a PVC mattress, the sort of thing those that wet the bed might be expected to sleep on … but wait, it gets better. :)

With cockerels in close proximity I found myself semi awake quite early when I heard staff in the corridor knocking on doors to deliver early breakfasts for guests who had obviously requested them, in my semi awake condition I wasn't sure if our door was knocked upon or not, we certainly hadn't ordered an early breakfast, our alarm clock was set for 0800 hour, presuming I was mistaken I just ignored any knock.

Next minute our bedside telephone was ringing, upon answering it the receptionist, as per the cafe waitress a few hours previously, she couldn't clearly explain to me what she was phoning us for and, upon asking, when she told me the time was 0615 I told her very abruptly to “GO AWAY” before hanging up the receiver.

Next minute they're knocking on the door again and they received the same answer, we'd had an extremely tiring day the day before, we'd been underfed in the middle of nowhere, expected to sleep comfortably on plastic and then we have these idiots banging on the door and ringing our telephone at 0615 in the middle of the night! … It transpired that they had the wrong room, it was another room that had ordered early breakfast!!!

Further on the room … there is a small worktop in the corner suitable to work a laptop from however if one does so then one's head is immediately in front of the television so other(s) are deprived of watching television. The bathroom is poorly planned with the toilet bowl situated in the middle of the room and needing to be walked around en-route to/from the shower and the spindle of the toilet roll holder was broken and fell to pieces as soon as I attempted to use the toilet roll.

Thereafter we ventured to breakfast, after the fiasco of the evening meal before I wasn't expecting very much and I wasn't to be disappointed. The lukewarm, indeed cold, buffet breakfast was pure Filipino cr@p consisting of rice, previously refrigerated scrambled egg mixed with vegetables, some less than tasty sausages and a tinned meat similar to spam that someone had dared to attempt cooking with the only choice of drinks being coffee or iced tea … there was no 'international' selection, no cereals, no milk, no bread or toast, no fruit, no juices, I mean this truly was a third world breakfast!

And, despite their website clearly stating that they accept all major credit cards … THEY DON'T, they cant accept any card and forced to pay by cash they didn't have sufficient change thus I was left with no other option than to overpay.

I've been in Philippines, particularly Surigao Del Norte, long enough now to accept “This is Philippines” and see the funny side of their poor services and bungling incompetence but these people are taking our hard earned monies from us on the proviso of a reasonable level of service and they're simply not providing that service.

I booked Grande Suites upon the understanding that it was a hotel, it's not, it's comparable to a bed and breakfast with an inadequate evening meal and it simply isn't worth the high rates that they are charging.

Would I recommend Grande Suites? ….. Well go figure :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business