“Avoid at all Costs”
Review of Watermill Lodge

Watermill Lodge
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Lisnaskea
Cuisines: French, Irish
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Just dont contemplate going there. It looks quite nice on the outside in a faux, chintzy sort of way. Inside its even more faux. We walked in at mid lunchtime service to find one table with diners. All other tables were empty. But the tables were bare so had to wait for a table to be prepared so we looked over the menu for 10 mins to decide what we wanted. Looks Ok we both thought.

My wife chose the fish Chowder. Sorry, there is none. Ok, well Ill have the Pork Belly she tried. Sorry there is none. Disappointed she asked if there was any fish other than salmon. Yes madam we have sea bass (not on the menu). How does it come? With mashed potato. Could I just have it with a salad?. No - it comes with mashed potato and you would need to order a side salad. Ok well ill have that then. I ordered the beef bourguignon. Much shouting and swearing in French ensued from the kitchen with occasional bursts of "Sea Bass" this and "Sea Bass" that. Finally the Chef appeared and apologised saying that Sea Bass was "a la Carte". And off he went. A La Carte? - what does that mean? - we obviously would have had to pay for it but no mention of cost just that it was a la carte. So 2 dishes on the menu we wanted were no longer there and the offered Sea Bass was taken away by a disgruntled Chef. OK well we will have the tortellini. Great and off he went. More shouting in the kitchen for the waiter to return saying they no longer had any tortellini. I mean, how hard can it be for a restuarant to actually give you some food? No tortellini but we can do Gnochhi. Right well lets have that. How can almost half the menu not be available during a largely empty restaurant? Maybe they could have warned us that half the menu was no longer available after we had pondered for 15 mins.

Gnochhi arrived; no hint of potato just a stodgy uncooked flour tasting mess. As for the alleged Beef Bourgiugnon - oh my Lord. No mushrooms. No shallots. Dry tough meat instead of moist slow cooked thickly covered in sauce unctious meat. Sauce was a see through watery, tasteless unseasoned gruel. There were some slices of onion and 3 cubes of carrot. A tablespoon of microwave re heated old potato mash with four baby tomatoes rounded off the dreadful dish. So much for french cuisine where a classic french dish lacked some of the moist important, basic ingredients (ever seen beef bourguignon without mushrooms?).

Take the menu with a pinch of salt as its meaningless as is the quality of whatever food they can cobble together.

12  Thank 2016-Paul

Reviewed July 13, 2014

I booked myself and family on the 12th July 2014 for a one night stay as a small treat. It is owned in partnership by a French and Irish couple, I will get straight to the point on this one.
The Family room had its Cons, all be it very minor ones. Our family consisted of four, two adults and two children "16,13". There was One double bed, one single bed, and a ZED bed, which wasn't very comfortable for our youngest child but in my eyes as we were paying four 4 adults, there should have been a double and 2 full sized single beds. Also the room could have done with a good dusting and I'm the male and I noticed it first. Also there was a few bulbs missing in the lamps. Thats the downside done.
Pros. The views were beautiful. Each room had French doors and tables and chairs outside, The bathroom was to die for and all the rooms had all the mod cons.
Dining, The four of us all had a 3 course meal and the taste was out of this world and I must say the service was second to none. Infact this place was that nice, I even put it own my own website, "http://www.faulknerphotographyomagh.com/news-videos/".
I will be back here again without hesitation.

1  Thank RFaulkner101
pascal b, Owner at Watermill Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2014

Hi RFaulkner,

Thank you for you review we take all comments on board, Next time you are coming to stay can you please ask our staff to put an extra single bed in the room as your children are that bit older this would not be a problem. We look forward to seeing you again.

Merci,
Pascal.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Pros: Lakeside Setting, Good Food
Cons: Poor Service

I went to the Watermill with a family group for Sunday lunch and came away very disappointed with the experience. Having been to the place before I was expecting good food and good service but something went badly wrong this time.

The problem was that we had to wait nearly an hour after our order for desert was placed until it turned up. This was despite notifying a couple of members of staff about the length of the wait. Now mistakes can happen and it is how the restaurant deals with the situation that determines whether you leave with a good impression of the place or not.

When talking about this situation with others who have had similar problems it confirmed my own experience. The better restaurants have offered a discount on the bill for the inconvenience experienced. In the case of the Watermill we were told that the company policy was not to offer any discounts if the food has been served, no matter how late it was. We were also told by the manager that if any discount was offered it would have to come out of his pocket!

So we left with a poor impression and to make matters worse we discovered that we had been overcharged on the bill. Despite phoning the restaurant 4 times over the following weeks the overcharge has still not been refunded.

1  Thank 2_White_Sands
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Was at the Watermill Sunday evening, 6th July, for dinner. Everything was excellent! Very generous and tasty serving of prawn cocktail for starter, followed by steak which was delicious and cooked exactly as requested! Other steaks ordered by my friends were also cooked exactly as they ordered! Well done to the chef!! The set price for 2 or 3 courses was very reasonable. Extra side orders add to the price but again these were generous portions and the cabbage and bacon was especially yummy!! All staff we met were pleasant and helpful, especially the young French lad (didn't get his name but he was more than friendly & helpful!)
The added bonus of a lovely, bright summer evening helped make this a most enjoyable and special evening! I couldn't recommend it enough!

1  Thank Fermana12

Hi Fermana12,

Thank you for your lovely review when the weather is good the views are spectacular. We hope to see you again soon.

Merci,
Pascal

Reviewed July 5, 2014

We had a gift voucher for the midweek dinner, bed and breakfast option at Watermill Lodge. Having read the reviews, we could hardly wait to get there. What a wonderful location. I note that another reviewer had commented on the mess on the shared terrace to the rear of the rooms. We asked the lady [very helpful and pleasant] who was servicing the rooms for a brush and swept our piece of terrace. We had to take a chair from the rear of one of the other rooms. The rooms are well-furnished; the decor a little tired. The bath towels are divine; the soap and shampoo dispensers only yield about 1ml at a time. The venue and setting are heavenly; the service OK. The food - we ordered prawn cocktail to start, it looked brilliant in its large shell, on a bed of dyed rock salt - again reflected the paradox which pervades throughout. The mains were so-so. My partner's miniscule ribeye of beef peeped out tantilisingly from beneath a mound of onions and sauce. It was very small, as were the side orders. I thought that cuisine minceur was a thing of the past. We are Francophiles; have seldom been disappointed when eating out in France. Whilst the food was quite palatable and well-presented, we thought that it failed to score on the quantity front. Our impression of the service was that it was diffident, lacking warmth, except for the young waiter who served us breakfast. Tres agreable. They did not start to serve breakfast until 9.30. The 'Full English' consisted of: one rasher of bacon, garnished with a nasturtium and a small piece of fern, one slice of black pudding, one half of a tomato, half a tablespoonful of chopped mushrooms, same quantity of baked beans, one small sausage [slightly larger than a cocktail sausage], one fried egg, smiling up from the centre of the meal, the whole being overseen by one slice of toast cut in half diagonally, at the side of the plate. I then went to settle up for our extras from dinner the night before [excellent wine, two drinks and three side orders]. Due to a breakdown in communication, I was charged for the accommodation as well, but happily this was resolved. I hope that I have managed to accentuate the positives about this beautiful venue. The points I have made about the service and the food appear to have been echoed in other reviews, yet we have wonderfully reviews extolling the virtues of the food, the helpfulness of the staff, etc. Within the present economic climate, it behoves us to take mini-breaks at home. Restaurants such as The Watermill Lodge have much to offer. I sincerely hope that the glitches which have been pointed out can be addressed and that this venue can fulfill its nascent promise. I will keep looking at future reviews; would love to return at some stage.