“Superlative service at Keyonna!”

Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Turners Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Superlative service at Keyonna!”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We have just had 7 nights being spoilt by the staff at Keyonna beach! This lovely quiet beachside place is a hidden gem if you want to really escape it all, and are looking for good simple fresh food, a great beach, fantastic cottages right on the beach and drinks of your choice all day and night!
We stayed in one of the superior beach cottages which we recommend highly as it means you have your own private plunge pool and deck! (And 43 on the end of the row where we were is certainly the best and most private!)
All staff - especially the lovely ladies taking care of drinks and food (special thanks and hugs for Shenette, Colette, Francine and Co! The kitchen does a fantastic job turning out 3 x 3 course meals per day and the rum punches served on the beach are the height of indulgence!
This is not the place for you if you want all the mod cons and get bored with your own company as there isn't much to do apart from sunning, swimming,eating and drinking at the hotel but who cares when the sun sets over the ocean as you sit at the bar in the evening wondering what other delicious food Cheddi and Co are cooking up for you in the kitchen....
Thanks to all at Keyonna for making our stay so memorable and we hope to come back to dance once again to Bruce's steel pan music!! David and Pip

Room Tip: The rooms in the main block may be quite noisy - if you can pay the extra go for a beach cottage on...
6 Thank P H
KeyonnaBeach, Owner at Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear PH - Thank you for providing your feedback and we look forward to you visiting us again soon.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Keyonna Beach is simply stunning and you could not be closer to the sea!

The staff were lovely, food was incredible and the coffee/wine/champagne flowed like water :)

We had a perfect holiday at Keyonna and were so disappointed to leave.

We will be back!

Lucy & Jason

Room Tip: We had cottage 36 - Spacious, clean and well presented.
4 Thank Lucy W
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2014

This is a quiet hotel in an amazing setting close to golden sandy beaches and the warm sea. The staff were amazing too and couldn't do more for you. The food was delicious too with a new menu every mealtime. If you want a quiet, relaxing holiday in an amazing setting choose Keyonna Beach ( we would go back tomorrow if we could).

Room Tip: The superior cottages with the plunge pool are definitely the rooms to choose.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

7 Thank Julia B
New Jersey
Reviewed December 31, 2013

My husband and I went for my 52nd birthday. What a gem. We stayed in a superior room for four day and a beachfront cottage for the rest of the week. This place is super. We spoke to Andrew who is the owner. He was truly interested in our opinions. The cottage is definitely the way to go. I told Mr Micheline that his staff is fabulous. I got the feeling that he didn't believe me. my highest regards to Miss Francine and Miss Shenneth who truly made our stay so magical. Davin is also a lovely host. This is a perfect place for a couple to reconnect. The rooms are clean. Each room is virtually beachfront. If driving it is situated such that you would pass by it unbeknownst to the beauty behind the green wall. The cab drivers know exactly where it is . I have big feet and I counted thirty heel to toes steps to the water. The rum punch is garnished with fresh nutmeg.The beachfront could not be any closer. When ever I travel to warm climates I carry various bug repellents an sunscreen. There isn't a lot to do on the resort but there are plenty of tours that will pick you up from the resort and take you. My husband wanted to personally add that it was picturesque and a wonderful experience. Sunsets were fabulous .the food was delicious. I could just go on and on about this resort but all I can say is WE WILL BE BACK. please show this review to the staff. Please tell them Rebecca and Edward said hello.

Room Tip: We were in cottage 29.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank champagnewishes
KeyonnaBeach, Owner at Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Rebecca and Edward- Thank you for your kind words which have been relayed to our staff. We truly recognise that our staff are key to ensuring our guests have a great stay. We look forward to your return very soon!
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed December 30, 2013

For a quick review, scroll down to the last paragraph. For more in-depth analysis of our stay, please continue reading.

My boyfriend and I stayed at Keyonna Beach the first weekend of November 2013. It was our first time in the Caribbean, and we loved the notion of just getting away from it all at a small resort where we wouldn't be bombarded by crowds, and Keyonna Beach seemed to fit the description perfectly. Indeed the description of the location and size of the resort DID fit perfectly. Unfortunately nothing else about our stay lived up to expectation.

First, the good.

Location: The location is great. You can't beat the view from the resort, with Monserrat looming off the coast. Our first glimpse of the resort was a little underwhelming - the driveway to the resort is lackluster - but once you step into the reception area and see the ocean straight in front of you, it's great. The beach is basically private with a catamaran or two pulling up occasionally, but never being too much of a nuisance. If you want seclusion, you'll find it at Keyonna Beach.

Now, the bad.

Check-in/Customer Service: We were greeted at check-in and provided with a simple 8.5"x11" piece of paper to fill out. Then we were left alone for 30 minutes. We did not arrive early so it wasn't as if we were waiting for our room to be finished. We were just abandoned. After about 15 minutes someone offered to get us some drinks, which, for two weary travelers, was welcome, but it wasn't indicative of a boutique resort where the guests' experiences are first and foremost. This lack of basic customer service was, unfortunately, just the beginning. We constantly felt as if we were on our own, and if we asked for something, we were inconveniencing the staff. Even something as simple as glasses of water at dinner seemed to be too much of a burden for the staff, basically earning rolling eyes and begrudging action. Never in our five day stay did we feel that we had been made welcome or that our business was important.

Additionally, we never had a sense of who was in charge at the resort. We had some issues, but we never knew who to direct them to. If there's a General Manager, that person should be known to the guests, or at least the guests should know who is in charge at any point. We spoke with Erika a couple of times, but we were never sure where she fit in the change of command.

Finally, in terms of customer service, my boyfriend and I noticed that we seemed to receive very different treatment than some of the other guests. There were a few Australian guests there at the same time, but it was mainly us and British tourists. Perhaps it's because of Antigua's history, or maybe it's due to the (sometimes fair) assessment of American tourists as boorish, but my boyfriend and I both noticed that the British tourists were treated far better. The staff spoke to them with attention and friendliness. We could barely get a word, and my boyfriend has never met a stranger. The British tourists also got better attention at dinner. They got drink refills without asking and bottles of wine waiting for them on their tables before they even arrived. Again, my boyfriend and I could barely get refills of the still water we were drinking. Just be aware that if you're American, you might be treated differently, and that is NOT an issue of perception. It was noticeable.

Accommodations: We rented a cottage, and I'm glad we did. It was great to have a fully private space. We appreciated having our private deck and soaking pool (though I only really dangled my feet in in as the still water didn't seem all that great to immerse yourself in), and the easy access to the beach was great, though the weather didn't help that, as I'll explain later. Our cottage did leak given the torrential rain our first few days, and it's a concern we told the staff about, but I think they lucked out that it stopped raining shortly after so it didn't necessarily require a fix in the moment. But it was a significant leak.

The cottage was adequate if not really inspiring. The AC works, which is good. And the mini-fridge is nice since the trek to the bar can be a hike. We wished they'd provided some snacks though because outside of meal times there are no options if you get hungry. You can't walk to a store, and if you ask for something outside of meal times (which we did once after we'd missed lunch sightseeing), you again get the inconvenienced eye rolls. Additionally, some form of entertainment in the room would be helpful. It was ok to be without a TV, but we got very tired of just listening to my iPod, and there were no books/games/anything in the room to occupy you once it got dark - and it got dark early due to the time of year - or when the weather was inclement.

Our favorite aspect of the cottage is the outside dual head shower space. My boyfriend and I have commented multiple times since returning how much we miss that. It was so relaxing (even when it was raining), and to be able to shower simultaneously immediately after coming in from the beach was great!

Dining: My boyfriend and I are both foodies, and he especially, because he loves fish, was looking forward to our meals at the resort. To say we were disappointed would be sugar-coating. The menu was pedestrian. One night there was a choice of baked chicken, spaghetti, and pork. I could get that at a mid-level restaurant anywhere in the states. And it would probably be cooked better. The fish choices were appalling. Red snapper was served one night, but other than that, it was tilapia, a farm-raised fish. An entire ocean 100 feet from the restaurant, and they're serving farm-raised fish. We went deep sea fishing one day and caught 2 fabulous king fish. We would have been happy to bring at least one back to the resort to eat for dinner and share with the other guests, but we didn't, feeling that we wouldn't get a kind response given our previous experiences with the customer service.

Additionally, be prepared to wait for your meals. Even though there are only 14 rooms at the resort (which understandably requires set meal times), the service was ridiculously slow. One day we waited 90 minutes for lunch that included a burger and a bland jerk chicken wrap. Our last day there we were at the restaurant right when it opened for lunch so we could get something before heading to the airport. We were on a tight timeframe and had to ask for our meal twice, getting it with about 10 minutes to spare before we had to leave. There were three couples in the restaurant during that time period.

Weather: This aspect I can't blame on the resort; they don't control the weather, nor do I expect them to. However, their response to the effects of the weather is something that I measure them on, and again they fell short.

We traveled in the final month of hurricane season just because that's when we could get the time off from work. We knew we were taking a chance, but that's what happens. When we flew into St. John's, it was sprinkling. By the time we'd checked into the resort it was sheets of rain, which continued, pretty much unabated, for the next two and a half days. (This is when the lack of any form of entertainment in the room became really apparent.) It was after the rain had stopped that our issues began. First there was the flooding of our cottage mentioned above. The entryway had a large (meaning a few feet in both diameter and length) puddle that we used all of our towels to soak up. Again, the rain stopped and the flooding stopped, but it's an issue that we told them of and never heard anything about after that.

Second, the private deck at the back of our cottage had a stone/concrete walkway across a drainage ditch formed in the sand. We were the last cottage in line and right next to the larger drainage point. With all of the rain, not only did a part of our beach next to the drainage point erode to the point where it was unusable and we had to walk through our neighbors' beach to reach the ocean, but the smaller drainage ditch eroded, buckling and then washing away our walkway. We alerted the staff. Their response was to lay two 2"x4' planks of wood together across the drainage ditch. Had it rained any more even those would not have lasted, and as it were, whenever we used them, the sand beneath the ends would start falling. Neither my boyfriend nor I are small people, and we had to crab walk across the planks, feeling them bow beneath us. We appreciated that they came up with some solution, but there were no apologies for the inconvenience, which is basic customer service 101, nor did anyone check to see if that option was working for us later on.

Bugs: I didn't have a huge problem with the bugs. There is a net around the bed, and it worked for me though I did end up with quite a few mosquito bites. However, my boyfriend was bitten up to the point where he had open sores and had to be treated medically when we returned to the states. So, just be aware.

Conclusion: When we left for vacation, my boyfriend and I were very excited. It was our first major trip, and his first trip out of the US. We were looking for relaxation and a great all-inclusive experience. We got the relaxation because of the exclusion and the forced inactivity due to the weather, but Keyonna Beach didn't live up to the expectations for an all-inclusive resort, to the point where we considered moving over to one of the bigger outfits on the island after a few days. Had we not already invested our full payment into the resort via our Groupon, we might have made the move. We love the location, but at this point we cannot recommend Keyonna Beach to anyone. The dining experiences were lackluster at best, disappointing given the previous reviews that claim they've stepped it up lately. The accommodations were adequate, but nothing worthy of the high resort price, even with our Groupon which saved us a considerable amount. And the customer service was basically non-existent, from the routine encounters to the special issues we faced.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
19 Thank KaulyJo
KeyonnaBeach, Owner at Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear KaulyJo

We appreciate you taking the time to provide detailed feedback. Since November 2013 we have made some changes including strengthening the management team and are encouraged that our most recent visitors have expressed general satisfaction including the seven reviews posted for stays in December and January with five 5 star ratings and two 4 star ratings.

At Keyonna Beach, we take pride in hosting all nationalities including Germans, Americans, Italians, French and British with positive feedback from all. Our staff has been lauded on their ability to make all visitors feel at home. Being a unique style of property we try our best to match our guest expectations prior to booking with our offering and your feedback will continue to assist us in ensuing that potential guests book the right type of hotel for their vacation needs.
Burnham-on-Crouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Ignored the negative postings, glad we did.
The owner responds instantly to problems, so the no lighting to rooms, resolved, smelly drainage,, solved, umbrellas, resolved within 30 minutes of heavy rain.
Keyonna staff can not do enough for you the guest, even apologising for the rain!
Food, especially prepared by CHEDI was a delight.
Yes service can be slow, but each dish is prepared to your order, and lets face it who cares on holiday.
International drinks on tap all day, along with branded Chilean wines, and some mean cocktails at sunset. Afternoon teas, (Tiffin) with various snacks and dips.
I joked "no olives" in my Martini. Next morning a giant jar on the bar ! That's service.
Using Kuoni to book got us a beach bungalow with an infinity pool with own Bali bed.
Pool cleaned daily. Requested a job to rake the beach, again a joke, Next day a guy was raking the sand. Unbelievable. You are No.1 here.
Boats do come to the beach but towards Pelican Island end, No noise no invasion, simply a very private (all beaches are public) beach to ourselves.
Rooms as stated are simple. No TV, phone. Mini bar stocked to our preference and maintained through out our stay,as are snacks. Perked coffee great in room. Bed a delight to sleep on.
Staff are the best ever, too many to name, Will we return, Yes.
Thank you Keyonna staff for a relaxing memorable holiday on your beautiful island.

Room Tip: Forget OJs restaurant along the beach. Insipid indifferent service. Pricey.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bernard C
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Exceptional location - view from the dining area and our cottage porch was unbeatable. Excellent Caribbean swimming, lovely sunsets, and delicious rum punch. Service could be slow and forgetful at times, but hey - it's island time, so NBD. Bed was comfortable, though the room was generally pretty spartan - no pictures on the walls, limited furnishings. Our minifridge made a loud noise all through the night, so we unplugged it. Food was hit or miss, would love to see more local seafood/recipes. A highlight was the chicken roti at lunch and the jerk pork at dinner. Pool is in a strange location, but who needs it with that stunning beach! Overall, great value (we got 55% off normal rates) and a wonderful trip.

• Stayed November 2013
#1 of 7 in Saint Mary's
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village

Been to Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua? Share your experiences!