I am reluctant to write this review in the light of all the previous comments made about Keyonna, most of which are very favourable. However when expectations are high, the disappointment when they are not met, is all the greater. We booked our holiday in this hotel based upon the favourable comments made in the past but we were not impressed with the service we experienced on several key issues. I would like to say at the beginning that these were dealt with efficiently when our complaints were voiced, firstly by the Kuoni rep and secondly by the wife of the hotel's owner, both of whom acted swiftly and efficiently.
The initial impression upon our arrival was indifference on the part of the hotel's middle management. Because our flight was delayed as a knock on from October's Great Storm, the evening meal was in full swing and the duty manager made it clear that it would suit him if we ate first before being shown our rooms. We were hot, tired and in need of a change of clothing so this suggestion was insensitive and made, we suspected more in the interests of clearing the dining area than in the comfort of some inconveniently late arrivals. The security guard who was detailed to show us to our cottage did not, apparently include carrying suitcases among his duties and we were left to struggle over the irregularly placed concrete blocks laid over the beach. We are both techically OAPs. The track to the rear of the cottages was extremely poorly lit and very hazardous. Later, in the daylight, we also discovered it was being used as a toilet by the feral beach dogs. This was not cleared up until we ourselves did so.
The cottage was very comfortable and roomy but the toilet broke on first use and the shower handle was dangerously faulty and could not be used safely. Both were reported and the toilet was fixed very promptly. However the shower was a different matter. It took three days before it worked efficiently. Cleaning of our room was very hit and miss and the mini bar was not monitored, neither was the coffee replaced. There was no umbrella which, given the extremely wet weather at the time which caused extensive flooding, would have been a welcome courtesy. We asked frequently for one but it never arrived. Another useful addition would have been a torch since the route back in the dark from the dining area was so hazardous.
There was extensive maintenance being carried out in nearby cottages which was noisy and the gardeners added to this by strimming at times to suit themselves. The combined noise was unbearable on one particular occasion when we were trying to enjoy a siesta.
Service in the dining room at breakfast was irritatingly slow. On one occasion it took 45 minutes for a simple omelette to make its appearance. Lunch and dinner were much better and I would like to emphasise that this was by far the best All Inclusive deal we have ever had, and we have had many. Quality and presentation of meals was excellent, as was the bar service.
With the intervention of the owner's wife, things improved considerably and the second half of our holiday was all we had hoped for. We thought we had just been very unlucky until the day we left when we were made to realise that nothing had really improved. Our taxi was booked for 4pm but nobody arrived to collect our luggage. We sat at a deserted reception area and when the taxi arrived we just picked up our bags and walked out. No member of staff saw us off or waved goodbye. It was a sad end to a much looked forward to holiday. We have stayed in hotels around the world and this has never happened before. With so few guests at the time it was a courtesy which could have been made. Last impressions can be just as important as first.
I have never written a negative review of any of the many hotels and resorts we have stayed in. Things go wrong anywhere of course but at Keyonna it seemed to emanate from sloppy middle management who dealt with problems reactively rather than proactively. This is such a shame as the hotel has the potential to be excellent. I feel they rely too heavily on the beautiful location and the ambient peace and quiet to satisfy their guests. They failed to realise that broken showers, though irritating, are not as important as a lack of interest in the guests well-being. At no time at all in the initial few days did anyone approach us to check up that we were happy. Perhaps they should take some tips from hotels in Thailand, India, Sri Lanka and Kenya for example where customer satisfaction is of primary importance to the management.
Sorry Keyonna, not impressed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on beautiful Turner's Beach on the Southwestern coast of the Island, is a Couples Only, All-Inclusive Antigua Resort unlike any other. Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua is a quaint boutique hotel offering a beach-front location with sweeping views of the colorful Caribbean Sea. A collection of rustic yet luxurious cottages located just a short walk away from the beach, Keyonna is best suited for couples and honeymooners seeking a romantic and relaxing getaway in a scenic, stress-free environment with excellent food and drinks and in the company of happy, friendly people. All cottages include king-sized four-poster beds, spacious bathrooms with unique his and hers outdoor showers, air conditioning, personalized in-room mini bars and free WIFI. There are no televisions or radios because our aim is to have you focus exclusively on each other and not be distracted by the monotonous humdrum of everyday life. Each cottage also includes a large private veranda with comfy deck chairs from which you can view the spectacular sunsets that paint the horizon each evening. Our on-site beach-front restaurant is a multi-tiered, wooden terrace offering al fresco dining beneath a canopy of seaside grape trees. The menu is an eclectic mix of West Indian cuisine and fresh local seafood. A choice of vegetarian dishes is also available and special dietary requirements are accommodated on request. Service is a la carte for all meals and there are no buffets. There are never any crowds on our 1000 foot long, deserted, white sand beach, which is dotted with an assortment of cozy Bali Beds each offering a front row view of the beautiful seascape punctuated by the silhouettes of neighboring tropical islands. The Bali beds are a perfectly unique way to nap, after a swim, in the arms of your partner or to simply relax together while sipping on our famous cocktails and rum punches and enjoying the view. We invite you to book your dream vacation with us without delay. Our small size means that availability is frequently limited. We commit to doing our very best to ensure that your stay with us is one that you will cherish and always remember. And more importantly we want to make sure that when you leave us you do so deeper in love with each other than you ever were before. We welcome you to romance, to tranquility and to our charming little slice of paradise. We welcome you to Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Keyonna Beach Hotel Johnson`s Point
- Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua