We chose Keyonna Beach hotel because it was described as "boutique ", secluded and no kids under 12. It promised gourmet food, beautiful beach and for us the perfect getaway. In reality it is a building site, bug riddled with no amenities and THE WORST FOOD we have ever eaten. For an All Inclusive package we have never had so little choice... Oh sorry there wasn't a choice!
Firstly I want to say that the staff were great on the whole - they were working with bad management of the place.
On arrival we are shown a very small room (later to find it is there largest!) and shown a door less cupboard for our clothes - the wooden pole held up by a nail and massive holes where they had removed the safe. When asked to use the hotel safe the housekeeper said it wasn't necessary because in the year shed worked there nothing had been stolen. We carried our money and documents with us daily.
The view from the balcony was stunning but the biting bugs made it impossible to sit out there despite all the sprays, candles and other repellent products. The bug situation was terrible and despite complaints was not fogged until our last night.
The dining room was double tiered decking around wasteland which was cleared during meal times to make gardens for the new sheds - new garden rooms. The floor so bouncy it made you feel sick as staff served meals. The furniture old and tatty. There was no where to sit for pre- dinner drinks or after dinner except 2 benches without cushions. I see now they have a photo on their site with2 benches where we placed them with cushions - this is not a good place to sit due to Mosquitos so don't be fooled - we had nowhere else to chat with friends.
Food was hit and miss. Weekends were worst with no staff and who knows who was cooking. The waitress refused to write down your order, got it wrong every time and you waited for another hour and 15 minutes for a replacement. This woman was the worst. The others were fabulous.
There were two choices on the menu. One fish the other was usually out of stock so instead of steak was offered duck - so nothing again for supper. There is a sample breakfast menu on the website now there was nothing in November. Our first morning was Caribbean breakfast offered by the worst waitress. A plate swimming in spinach, salt cod and tomatoes AND THAT WAS ALL THAT WAS OFFERED AND GIVEN. Ileaving the dining area I called the woman to ask where the supermarket was, she was stuffing her face with food behind the bar! Incredible!
Red wine was served from the fridge, time between courses up to an hour and there was either silence or live music belting out - certainly no boutique ambiance promised.
There weren't enough bug infested Bali beds for everyone. We used broken sun beds on the beach without shade.when asked owner for umbrella he said it was hurricane country so didn't use umbrellas despite the derilect hotel complex next door having umbrellas on their beach and the brochures showing Keyonna beach hotel with lovely sun beds and umbrellas.
The spa was a tent infested with Mosquitos. The others had their massage in the beach but mine was inside the tent as it started raining. The lady came from their sister hotel and was great but I had to jump off the bed half way through and drag it into the tent due to the sand flies... Not relaxing or therapeutic in the slightest.
The pool was unfinished and not cleaned at weekends. Some towels were left on a bed in the rain and sun for 4 days without being taken away. It was infested by ants.
One day we were given dips and poppadum on the beach but the dips and dishes left there for 24 hours. This is not boutique.
As for secluded beach, the party boats start arriving mid morning. They are catamaran trips from the cruise liners up the coast and are just that... Peace is shattered and beach overrun!
I could go on but I hope you realise it is not what it claims to be so be aware.
The taxis are very expensive. A taxi to English Harbour was $80 but JJ was a character and give a running commentary and guided tour of his life, family and local history... Priceless!
Rosemary's herb garden was also a highlight - a talk and walk around the garden for $15 then you can buy her remedies. The extreme bites I had have healed without scarring I'm sure due to her oils and advice... Well worth a visit.
You will notice after this report is posted a glowing letter from an imaginary couple appears on trips advisor and their website. Please do not believe it is genuine. Try out this place if you dare, but don't believe the reports, no one in the hotel on our stay had anything good to say about it.
We are just sad to have to write this type of report and hope that the resort sorts itself out because it has all the ingredients to be what it claims with an injection of money And management.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on beautiful Turner's Beach on the Southwestern coast of the Island, is a Couples Only, All-Inclusive Antigua Resort unlike any other. Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua is a quaint boutique hotel offering a beach-front location with sweeping views of the colorful Caribbean Sea. A collection of rustic yet luxurious cottages located just a short walk away from the beach, Keyonna is best suited for couples and honeymooners seeking a romantic and relaxing getaway in a scenic, stress-free environment with excellent food and drinks and in the company of happy, friendly people. All cottages include king-sized four-poster beds, spacious bathrooms with unique his and hers outdoor showers, air conditioning, personalized in-room mini bars and free WIFI. There are no televisions or radios because our aim is to have you focus exclusively on each other and not be distracted by the monotonous humdrum of everyday life. Each cottage also includes a large private veranda with comfy deck chairs from which you can view the spectacular sunsets that paint the horizon each evening. Our on-site beach-front restaurant is a multi-tiered, wooden terrace offering al fresco dining beneath a canopy of seaside grape trees. The menu is an eclectic mix of West Indian cuisine and fresh local seafood. A choice of vegetarian dishes is also available and special dietary requirements are accommodated on request. Service is a la carte for all meals and there are no buffets. There are never any crowds on our 1000 foot long, deserted, white sand beach, which is dotted with an assortment of cozy Bali Beds each offering a front row view of the beautiful seascape punctuated by the silhouettes of neighboring tropical islands. The Bali beds are a perfectly unique way to nap, after a swim, in the arms of your partner or to simply relax together while sipping on our famous cocktails and rum punches and enjoying the view. We invite you to book your dream vacation with us without delay. Our small size means that availability is frequently limited. We commit to doing our very best to ensure that your stay with us is one that you will cherish and always remember. And more importantly we want to make sure that when you leave us you do so deeper in love with each other than you ever were before. We welcome you to romance, to tranquility and to our charming little slice of paradise. We welcome you to Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotwire, Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Expedia and Jetsetter so you can book your Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Keyonna Beach Hotel Johnson`s Point
- Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua