“Great Caribbean Honeymoon!”

Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Turners Beach
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My new wife and I feel very lucky that we selected Keyonna Beach for our honeymoon. It was actually my first time traveling outside the United States, so I was a bit nervous, but as soon as we arrived my uncertainties started to subside. Upon arrival, we were given our first taste of that fantastic Rum Punch as we filled out some forms for Alexa, one of the great employees.

I cannot say enough nice things about the employees. They went out of their way to insure we enjoyed ourselves without getting in our way...which I'm sure can be a fine line to walk. Alexa was always ready to help us book our (sometimes last-minute) excursions, arranging transportation and calling ahead to insure availability. The wait staff was friendly, but not overbearing. We occasionally asked for additional drinks, and I never got the feeling that it was looked down upon.

The food was absolutely fantastic, which obviously is important for an all-inclusive trip! My wife and I enjoyed the lunch and dinner options, eating mostly seafood (although other options were available). As another traveler mentioned, the breakfast options can be repetitive, but we enjoyed the pancakes, eggs and fruit each morning.

We really enjoyed the beach - pretty, calm and relaxing. My wife enjoyed picking up bits of sea-glass to take back home. Keyonna Beach had more than enough beach beds to accommodate the guests. If you're looking for a livelier beach, Turner's Beach is just a three minute walk to your left. There is a restaurant, some vendors, and the Wadadli Cats catamaran tour makes a stop there every so often.

Our room was actually nicer than I had allowed myself to expect. The four poster bed was comfortable and we made use of the mosquito netting. The restroom was quite nice. The shower had good water pressure and we enjoyed cracking the head-level window open just a bit to get a peek at the ocean. Our room was cleaned everyday while we were at breakfast or out on the beach. There was a mini-fridge that was well stocked with soda, water, sparkling water and Wadadli beer for our five-night stay.

We experienced no problems with bugs in our room, although we were on the second floor, so maybe that contributed? We also didn't have too bad a time with the mosquitos. We were pretty vigilant about spraying Off before we went outside. My wife got a few bites (less than 10), but I think that's to be expected when you're visiting the Caribbean!

A side note - the taxi service Keyonna used to take us to and from our excursions was J.J. & Son's Taxi...we loved them. J.J. and his son were very kind and acted as our tour guides as we drove through Antigua on our way to our destinations. Most destinations seemed to be about a 20 to 30 minute drive away from Keyonna. I found J.J. & Son's rates to be very fair as well.

During our time in Antigua, we went snorkeling, enjoyed a helicopter tour of the island, went shopping in St. John's, went ziplining, and explored Antigua's most beautiful beach, Half Moon Bay. Alexa graciously made all of these arrangements for us, sometimes on short notice.

All-in-all, we had a wonderful time, thanks in no small part to the people of Antigua and Keyonna Beach. I can wholeheartedly recommend Keyonna Beach to you and your significant other if you're looking for a quiet place to enjoy your Honeymoon or another special event! We saw a little bit of the ongoing construction and we hope to return one day to see the renovations when they are complete!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Mark C
CocosHotel, Owner at Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear Mark..we thank you for your feedback and look forward to you returning soon

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I researched for months any deal that looked great to see if it truely was a great deal. At last I found this place. My husband and I were very excited to enjoy Keyonna Beach.
A week before traveling I emailed to inquire about local excursions and to start reserving them. This is when I recieve a polite email answering questions then at the end it says that I have been re-booked else where as Keyonna Beach is closed for construction. I look on trip advisor and see that in mid August - a month before my travel construction had started and it was planned to close completely soon for more construction. Why was I not notified then?
I then look at the new place they are re-booking me. It is nothing near as nice - bedding from the 80s-90s and a little rough around the edges. I then look at the pricing, it was $150 USD cheaper per night! I ingure to the price difference and request that I recieve a deal that was equal to my original booking deal, or that I get an upgrade in hotel or have perks added in complimentary. ALL of which Keyonna Beach was unwilling to work with. I was put out and STUCK and they knew it.
Lucky for me I hate getting taken advantage of.
I researched all Antigua deals on travel sites such as Groupon and Living Social, etc. Low and behold I found the new hotel they were trying to book me at on sale. I canceled through Groupon for 100% refund of Keyonna beach, called the new hotel and booked direct, they were willing to honor the online deal I had found. All and all I saved right at $1,000 USD - something more than I expected. All I was asking from Keyonna Beach is to get some money back but I came out ahead doing it myself.
Also on one of the excursions I did take we docked at Keyonna Beach area - Trunk Bay to swim. My husband and I walked up to Keyonna Beach - nice romantic spot - it was 4pm and no obvious signs of construction but obviously closed. The only thing I noted was that the sand is rough and not fine and soft, only down side to note of this area for future travels.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Chelsea L
CocosHotel, Owner at Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

It is unfortunate that you made a review of the property in these circumstances. We extended every effort to minimise the disruption and inconvenience including accommodating your additional night on island. Nevertheless, we hope that the recommendation we made that you pursued ensured a positive experience on our beautiful island although we realise it is not always possible to please everyone. We are heartened to hear that you were able to negotiate a customer discount directly with that hotel.

We would like to take the opportunity to thank the small number of guests moved during the work on property who expressed appreciation at our efforts to ensure their stay was as comfortable as possible. We look forward to announcing our updates in due course and to providing our new guests and repeat guests with even better service in the future. We are grateful for all feedback to date and anticipate receiving continued positive reviews.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

My new husband and I just got back from our five-night stay at Keyonna Beach, and it was an almost perfect honeymoon. I was a little worried about the weather, but it was almost always sunny (though we missed then-Tropical Storm Isaac by only a couple of days).

We spent almost all of our time just sitting on the beach, relaxing and reading and playing in the water. The water was close to perfect: clear, warm, deep enough to allow for swimming but shallow enough that you could stand easily.

There were never more than two other couples there, though they are about to close for the month of September for an expansion that may mean there will be more guests at once in the future. We had fun chatting with the other couples, but we also had plenty of alone time. (It was our honeymoon, after all.) We also felt like we got to know the staff well. Some of the other reviews said that they weren't friendly, but we found that they were professional, nice, and eager to help. They weren't obsequious or falling all over themselves to bring us another drink, but I personally find that level of service uncomfortable. Every request--to help us book an excursion to Stingray City (awesome) or snorkeling (beautiful), to make another delicious but time-consuming rum punch, to serve us lunch a little early so we could fit in one more great meal before the flight--was met. They didn't switch out our beach towels every day, but when we asked for new ones, they were given immediately.

And the food really is as incredible as everyone says. The Cornish game hen special was divine, as were the crab cakes and the spicy (so spicy!) scallops with mushrooms. Breakfast was maybe a little monotonous--pancakes or eggs--but if it's good, I not only can handle but love the repetition. And the drinks were just delicious and definitely didn't skimp on the booze.

Our room was in a nearly perfect location, with French doors that allowed us to step right onto the beach. But it was right next to the kitchen, which meant we could tell by the noise if we were having veal for dinner that night. However, I think that with the renovation, they will be moving the kitchen, so that might not be a problem in the future. Also, the curtains could have been a little more opaque, given that we were right on the ground floor.

I think that the only real problem for me were the bugs. The mosquitoes were vicious, leaving me with 38 bites on my left leg alone, and spraying the room before dinner and coating myself with Off didn't seem to keep them away. I also had a screech-inducing encounter with a palmetto bug in the bathroom one night. But it's the Caribbean. Unless you're in a sterile, huge hotel, I don't know how you can avoid the creatures. The good news is that we saw lots of cute geckos and other lizards that I assume were doing their best to keep the bugs at bay.

This isn't the place to go if you want to get trashed every night and meet a ton of new people. But it was just the sort of calm, peaceful trip we were hoping for.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Torie B
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband and I visited Keyonna Beach for our honeymoon last month and everything about our trip was AMAZING! As soon as we walked up to the resort from our taxi ride from the airport we were greeted by an amazing ocean view and Alexa, one of the employees. She immediately got us each a Rum Punch while we filled out some paperwork and then showed us to our room. The room wasn't huge but it was clean, we felt very comfortable, and had an AMAZING view.

ALL of the employees were amazing. The 3 servers- Francine, Shaneth and Victoria- were very gracious and great to talk to. They all make amazing drinks and we enjoyed many island type beverages while we were there. The first night we were there my husband asked Francine if she could make us some Mojitos but they didn't have any mint, so she asked someone if they could get some and within the next day or two she was able to make us some AMAZING mojitos. She kept the mint down in their fridge also so that whoever was working the next day could make them for us again. They make a really good islandy drink called a Buffalo Soldier which we enjoyed quite a few of. Everyone that worked at Keyonna was really great and we really enjoyed chatting with them while we were there. They will set up and organize excursions for you if you're wanting to do that sort of thing- we saw them helping out the other couples with this. Lisa kept our room tidy and even mopped the floors while we were at the beach during the day so we'd come in to a sand free floor, a made bed, a fridge full of water and soda, and clean towels and restocked toiletries in the bathroom. When we needed a new beach towel we just traded out our old ones for new ones with her. She was great. She was also more behind the scenes but did an amazing job and was very friendly.

My husband and I literally wouldn't of left the resort at all if we didn't have to get souvenirs. We went to St. John's (which has a lot of shops) for probably a half an hour and came back because we wanted to go back to the beach and get back to relaxing. When we were going out to St. John's we were waiting outside for a bus to come by because someone suggested we should try it out for both the experience and because it's much less expensive than a taxi. Alexa was leaving work for the day right when we went out to wait for the bus and ended up giving us a ride in to town which was so incredibly nice of her. We did take the bus on the way back though which was a very interesting experience that I'm glad we did.

The food at Keyonna was AMAZING. My husband and I wouldn't of looked at the clock at all while we were there if it wasn't for meal times. There are specific times where they serve every meal, and you just have to go down to the eating area between those times. We were down at every meal pretty much right when we could be because we looked forward to the meals so much. Everything we had was amazing. At breakfast you could basically just ask for whatever you wanted- they pretty much had whatever standard breakfast stuff you were in the mood for (pancakes, eggs, toast, fruit, etc.). On Sundays they have a traditional Caribbean breakfast though and it is AMAZING. For lunch and dinner they had a menu where you ordered your own appetizer and entree. The lunch menu pretty much stayed the same and the dinner changed every day. The crab cakes were so amazing... every meal where they were available I ordered them. There was always a fresh fish option so we were able to try lots of different types of fish. Sometimes you have to be a little patient because at every meal there is only one server and she is in charge of getting your drinks, making your alcoholic beverages, taking your order and bringing your food to you. The servers are GREAT though and remembered everything we asked for and we really appreciated their hard work. This is definitely a unique all-inclusive hotel. No buffet style garbage that you dread eating.

We loved all of the employees so much we pretty much gave them all of the cash we brought in tips at the end of the week. I really have no idea if tips are included in the price we paid or anything but even if it is the employees all deserve more. They seriously made our vacation GREAT.

They are doing construction at the resort right now so it is something to be aware of. It literally didn't bother or inconvenience us at all but if you're the type to go to Antigua and spend your day in the room it might. They're expanding their place a little bit so they usually work on things during the day. We spent our days at the beach so it really didn't matter to us. They're adding a few more rooms but even after they are finished it will still be a very small resort so I don't think the personal attention you get from the employees will change. We want to go back and see the renovations when they're finished.

A few things I want to add:
-The weather was PERFECT the whole time we were there. Mid 80's ish and amazing.
-There is wi-fi down in the eating/bar area but it's not an amazing connection. I didn't go there to get on-line the whole time I was there but different people have different agenda I guess.
-There are definitely mosquito type bugs around but it's not their fault.. just the way it is. They do a good job trying to keep them away at meal times and whatnot. They also supply you with bug spray in your room and the bed has netting around it. Use both!!!
-Bring sunscreen with you or buy it at the airport after you arrive because once you get to the resort your only option in walking distance is the small market down the road (within walking distance) and all they have SPF 4 or 8 deep tanning oil. They do have aloe though.. Haha. We bough the SPF 8 and the aloe and it worked alright for us but we bought SPF 30 when we went to St. John's.

Depending on how you want to spend your vacation, Keyonna can make it happen. We mainly spent our days at Keyonna reading on the immaculately clean beach in their bali beds and enjoying the crystal clear water. There were only 3 other couples at the resort while we were there because the summer is their off season, but I wouldn't have it any other way. We wanted to visit Antigua to literally do nothing. We needed to wind down after months of wedding planning and we definitely were able to get the job done. We can't wait to go back!!!!

3  Thank leynaleynaleyna
CocosHotel, Owner at Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Thank you for your detailed review. We will relay your commendation to our staff who pride themselves in providing excellent service. We look forward to you visiting us again soon.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

I recently went with my girlfriend for a week - and Keyonna Beach delivers. The website doesn't do this place justice - it felt like we were in a postcard. The Bali beds on the beach were a terrific way to spend the day. The beach was quiet (what we wanted) - and there were only 3 or 4 other couples there. At night, we left our balcony open to hear the sea rumble as we slept. The rooms are small, but they get the job done. The staff was first class from the minute we arrived. They set up excursions for us when we wanted to venture off the property and when I told the cook I was a vegetarian - they made me something off the menu every night. The food was delicious - sometimes you never know with an all inclusive - but Keyonna Beach got it right. The rooms were cleaned daily and we had a great balcony view of the beach which was to die for. The owner was even kind enough to let us visit his other property and eat there for free (as part of our all-inclusive). They really went above and beyond. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a romantic secluded getaway - Keyonna delivered on all counts! Can't wait to go back!

6  Thank ahshroff

Thank you for your positive feedback and especially will relay your feedback to the kitchen staff who are always keen to provide our guests with any special requests. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

The food and drinks were high quality for all-inclusive! The best food I have ever had by far! Imagine getting that every three meals a day! My wife and I were very surprised that we weren't hungry throughout the day. There wasn't a need for purchasing snacks or going to the market. The beach is beautiful and private. They also have a personal taxi, so you can go everywhere on the island without having to worry about being scammed. The staff is very helpful and friendly too! They would fix any and all problems for you. The rooms weren't high luxury, but it's great for younger couples who are content with simple things. I have no real complaints, and I'd go back!

3  Thank Brandon B
Reviewed July 17, 2012

After reading all the glowing reviews written by previous travelers, we decided to stay at Keyonna Beach. We were disappointed by what we actually experienced. Many of the reviews we read made mention of the wonderful food and attentive staff, what we found was quite different. I normally do not write reviews, but felt compelled to warn others who are expecting a luxury, boutique hotel with gourmet food what Keyonna Beach really has to offer.

First let me say, the beach is beautiful. At times I was the only person on the entire beach, very relaxing. The water is calm and warm… bring a float to lounge in the water and travel the current from one end of the beach to the other. Found some great shells in the water and on the beach. The Bali beds are awesome and a wonderful, shady way to relax and read a book.

The Room
It is quite small, too small for two people to move around in. There is a bed, closet with too few hangers and a large chest of drawers with a mirror. There was a large gap between the two French doors creating easy access for creatures of the night. The window covering on the French doors provided little if any privacy from the walkway guests use to get to and from their rooms. Toiletries were not restocked and the towels were not replaced often enough. More hooks are needed in the bathroom for robes, towels, etc. Beach towels are thin and frayed. I would like a fresh towel every few days, not have to use the same one all week.

Meals
Arrive before you are hungry and bring a good book to occupy the 2+ hours you will spend at your table waiting for your meal. I don’t mind a long, relaxed dinner if I am attended to. I would expect my water to be topped off, my drinks refilled and food to arrive in a timely manner. This did not happen at the Keyonna Beach. Only one service person is available for each meal, despite how many guests are in the hotel. This one person is responsible for the service the food as well as the preparation and service of all beverages. You can wait 30 minutes before even getting a drink of water. If you order toast at breakfast, it may arrive before you are finished with your meal, but most often it arrives after your eggs are cold. I would need to wait for my coffee and when I asked for cream it arrived after my coffee was cold. I also found it odd being a tropical island with the sweetest black pineapples, mangos in season and bananas growing along the roadside that I had to ask for fruit. When I did get fruit, it consisted mainly of melons I can purchase in the US! The presentatin of the food was impressive, the food was good, but not great. Many of the items on the menu were not available but you would not know this until you ordered. The menu is very limited with only 2 or 3 choices, one night you only had the choice of red or green curry that was it. The lunch menu never changed and the breakfast options were eggs or pancakes.

Drinks
I was disappointed that no “tropical” drinks were offered. When I asked for a specific drink the server couldn’t make it. I ended up with beer more than I wanted. The wine selection is terrible. Only one red, one white, and one blush are poured by the glass. I tried the white and it was awful, the red was ok and I didn’t try the blush. There is a list of bottles for purchase but only 2 whites were available and at the price they wanted I was afraid to try. We drove to the grocery and purchased our own wine for dinner. I would have liked an ice bucket but did not feel I could ask for one more thing. When I did ask for anything at dinner I felt like I was asking too much. You may receive a bottle of water and a drink when you first arrive at meals, no refills are offered. I remedied this by helping myself to water and bar items rather than wait for the staff.

Warning!!!
We had a minor incident in the water that required some medical attention. The staff showed concern for us, yet no one knew what to do or was able to assist us properly with our medical needs. The first aid kit they brought out was less than the travel kit I brought from home! One of the staff did accompany us to the clinic where the doctor refused to see us. We were told to go to the hospital in St. John but opted for the pharmacy first. The pharmacist was friendly, helpful, well informed. She told us that we did not need to see a doctor. She explained what needed to be done and why. She recommended products to use and had them available for purchase. We left the pharmacy feeling confident in the treatment and much less worried than we did at the hotel. We did leave a few products with the staff to place in their limited first aid kit. I hope that an emergency contact list is developed and posted where staff and guests can access it. Something I did not consider until this incident is what to do at night if an emergency arose. There is no staff on duty at night aside from a single security guard. There is no list of emergency contacts, clinic or hospital information, no mention of how to reach a manager in the event of an emergency.

Room Tip: Do not book a standard room, too small to move in.