“Best Vacation Ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Turners Beach
Gallatin, Tennessee, United States
“Best Vacation Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

The food and drinks were high quality for all-inclusive! The best food I have ever had by far! Imagine getting that every three meals a day! My wife and I were very surprised that we weren't hungry throughout the day. There wasn't a need for purchasing snacks or going to the market. The beach is beautiful and private. They also have a personal taxi, so you can go everywhere on the island without having to worry about being scammed. The staff is very helpful and friendly too! They would fix any and all problems for you. The rooms weren't high luxury, but it's great for younger couples who are content with simple things. I have no real complaints, and I'd go back!

3 Thank Brandon B

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Appleton, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

After reading all the glowing reviews written by previous travelers, we decided to stay at Keyonna Beach. We were disappointed by what we actually experienced. Many of the reviews we read made mention of the wonderful food and attentive staff, what we found was quite different. I normally do not write reviews, but felt compelled to warn others who are expecting a luxury, boutique hotel with gourmet food what Keyonna Beach really has to offer.

First let me say, the beach is beautiful. At times I was the only person on the entire beach, very relaxing. The water is calm and warm… bring a float to lounge in the water and travel the current from one end of the beach to the other. Found some great shells in the water and on the beach. The Bali beds are awesome and a wonderful, shady way to relax and read a book.

The Room
It is quite small, too small for two people to move around in. There is a bed, closet with too few hangers and a large chest of drawers with a mirror. There was a large gap between the two French doors creating easy access for creatures of the night. The window covering on the French doors provided little if any privacy from the walkway guests use to get to and from their rooms. Toiletries were not restocked and the towels were not replaced often enough. More hooks are needed in the bathroom for robes, towels, etc. Beach towels are thin and frayed. I would like a fresh towel every few days, not have to use the same one all week.

Meals
Arrive before you are hungry and bring a good book to occupy the 2+ hours you will spend at your table waiting for your meal. I don’t mind a long, relaxed dinner if I am attended to. I would expect my water to be topped off, my drinks refilled and food to arrive in a timely manner. This did not happen at the Keyonna Beach. Only one service person is available for each meal, despite how many guests are in the hotel. This one person is responsible for the service the food as well as the preparation and service of all beverages. You can wait 30 minutes before even getting a drink of water. If you order toast at breakfast, it may arrive before you are finished with your meal, but most often it arrives after your eggs are cold. I would need to wait for my coffee and when I asked for cream it arrived after my coffee was cold. I also found it odd being a tropical island with the sweetest black pineapples, mangos in season and bananas growing along the roadside that I had to ask for fruit. When I did get fruit, it consisted mainly of melons I can purchase in the US! The presentatin of the food was impressive, the food was good, but not great. Many of the items on the menu were not available but you would not know this until you ordered. The menu is very limited with only 2 or 3 choices, one night you only had the choice of red or green curry that was it. The lunch menu never changed and the breakfast options were eggs or pancakes.

Drinks
I was disappointed that no “tropical” drinks were offered. When I asked for a specific drink the server couldn’t make it. I ended up with beer more than I wanted. The wine selection is terrible. Only one red, one white, and one blush are poured by the glass. I tried the white and it was awful, the red was ok and I didn’t try the blush. There is a list of bottles for purchase but only 2 whites were available and at the price they wanted I was afraid to try. We drove to the grocery and purchased our own wine for dinner. I would have liked an ice bucket but did not feel I could ask for one more thing. When I did ask for anything at dinner I felt like I was asking too much. You may receive a bottle of water and a drink when you first arrive at meals, no refills are offered. I remedied this by helping myself to water and bar items rather than wait for the staff.

Warning!!!
We had a minor incident in the water that required some medical attention. The staff showed concern for us, yet no one knew what to do or was able to assist us properly with our medical needs. The first aid kit they brought out was less than the travel kit I brought from home! One of the staff did accompany us to the clinic where the doctor refused to see us. We were told to go to the hospital in St. John but opted for the pharmacy first. The pharmacist was friendly, helpful, well informed. She told us that we did not need to see a doctor. She explained what needed to be done and why. She recommended products to use and had them available for purchase. We left the pharmacy feeling confident in the treatment and much less worried than we did at the hotel. We did leave a few products with the staff to place in their limited first aid kit. I hope that an emergency contact list is developed and posted where staff and guests can access it. Something I did not consider until this incident is what to do at night if an emergency arose. There is no staff on duty at night aside from a single security guard. There is no list of emergency contacts, clinic or hospital information, no mention of how to reach a manager in the event of an emergency.

Room Tip: Do not book a standard room, too small to move in.
11 Thank Debs3can
Tierra Verde, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

This was the most relaxing vacation ever, the staff and the accommodations were wonderful. The food was excellent, depending on the amount of diners it could take a while, but was well worth the wait. The beach is beautiful, the bali beds sooo comfy, and the rum punches are fantastic. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Stamford, CT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Although I have traveled all over the world, this is my first review because I have not ever experienced such a disappoint from my travels before. We booked this resort from Luxury Link assuming I could trust the quality of hotels sold on that site, but I am writing to tell you that you cannot. Keyonna may one day be a luxury facility, but at this time it is definitely not.

I am not writing this out of spite, but to serious warn vacationers to expect a 2-3 star room/bathroom experience and a 3-star food experience.

This good things:
- tasty food
- nice beach
- nice staff

The problem areas:
- not an adult only resort, the owner brought his children every day to eat, play and swim at the resort. One day, they had 4 children running all over the little hotel screaming and stomping.
- one staff member to serve meals and drinks for each meal at the resort... so they never had time to make drinks and ended up all sweaty by the end of a meal.
- the rooms were 2 star at best... no hooks to hang anything, no towel racks, no chairs in the room, old torn beach towels that were never replaced during our 6-night stay.
- the ice for drinks is also the same ice that is used to cool/store open wine bottles, cokes, etc - very unsanitary!!
- the blender was broken when we arrived and was not fixed 6-days later
- the ran out of certain juices, alcohol brands and never replaced them
- dinners took on average 2.5-3 hours, not because we wanted them too, but because they were soooo short staffed that the cook was not able to get the food out. It should have taken around 1 hour 20 minutes max - the rest of the time was spent waiting..and waiting...and waiting.
- the special dinners/lunches that they advertise were only available 2 of the 6 days that we were there. The special tuna salad that they advertise was only available 1-time during our stay.
- the beach is lovely, but you should know that just next door is a condominium complex that is shut down and surrounded by barbwire. So, it is a little bit of an eye sore.
- lastly, I want to mention that the poor staff is forced to wear 100% polyester outfits that cause them to sweat and be very uncomfortable with there open air/un-airconditioned work areas. *Management* please get them some more natural fiber outfits to wear! It makes the guest uncomfortable to see them so uncomfortable!

when it finally arrives (most dinners took 3 hour -no kidding) for a simple3-course meal.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Vajra
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from one week stay at the hotel and here is my run-down of what we liked and what this hotel definitely needs to improve to claim being in the boutique category.

My husband and I have just returned from one week stay at the hotel and here is my run-down of what we liked and what this hotel definitely needs to improve to claim the boutique label.

What’s good:
Location – it is on the nicer part of the island that is less build up, quieter and cleaner than other parts. Unlike at the big resorts where you may be able to see the ocean from your window but you are separated from it by miles of built up grounds, swimming pools and manmade gardens, at Keyonna the luxury is the proximity to the ocean and feeling the sand under your feet most of the day.

Beach – nice, clean, very quiet. Incredibly calm, clear water safe for floating, swimming, snorkeling. Hardly any people on it, no laud music , laud boats or people selling things. Ideal for those who seek relaxation through connection with mostly nature and don’t mind limited amanities like a pool, gym, spa.

Bali beds – awesome for reading a book or napping on the beach. They provide decent shade as well. They should have one for each room though as there is sort of a competition for them.

Patios – each room has a patio where you can relax and watch the beach. Nice thing since you are so close to the beach. The rooms that face the beach have definitely a better view. Don’t be fooled into “all rooms have a good view” thing.

Dining area – it is a rustic deck right on the beach so you are surrounded by birds, lizards and nature while dining. Some may not like it but we loved it. One night we all watched a bunch of turtles hatch and head for the ocean! How often can you experience that while eating your dinner?

Food - everything we ate was tasty, fresh and nicely presented.

Special requests are accommodated – we have asked for sandwiches to take on our hike and they gladly prepared it for us. Also they helped us with car rental at the hotel, taxi, etc.

Bugs & mosquitos – were not bad at all. That may vary based on a season.

Now what’s we did not like:

Rooms – They don’t qualify as rustic Caribbean decorated rooms that you expect in a boutique hotel. This hotel was not entirely remodeled before they opened and it shows! Cheaply done walls that already need a fresh paint, old bathroom cabinets and cheep lights should not be confused with rustic décor of an intimate hotel. It feels like a motel room unless you are easily fooled by a mosquito net hanging over your bed.
Our room safe was broken and since they were not able to fix it we were given a detached safe that was standing on a cabinet in our room. Kind of a joke as anyone could take it with them. Not that the staff is not trustworthy but you still want the peace of mind that your passports or credit cards are OK while on vacation.

Limited menu, wine and cocktail choices – although everything we ate was tasty and fresh the choices were very limited. I mean VERY limited. Be prepared to choose from just two dishes for lunch or dinner and practically one choice for breakfast. One night they had only ONE choice for dinner – curry with chicken, shrimp or vegies. Don’t care for curry? Tough!
Also, many items on the already short menu were not available making the choice even more limited. And you only find out that it is not available after you order that dish. How disappointing!
As far as the wine selection ( included in your all inclusive price) it is the same old 3 choices every day. They don’t rotate the wine list at all as I would imagine a boutique hotel would aspire to do.
At the bar you will need to tell them what to mix in your drink. Don’t expect to be offered some beautiful cocktail that is Keyonna’s specialty.

Service – Not sure where the previous reviewers got the “attentive service” idea. The service during our stay was extremely slow and inconstant. Be prepared to wait 30 min before you get your coffee at breakfast. Meals take 2 hours, dinners 3 hours because the wait staff is so slow and inefficient. I personally don’t like speedy meals, but if you are waiting for 30 min before you are even offered a drink or a water that is frustrating!
They bring just one thing at the time and very slooooowly. You finally got your coffee but now the cream is missing. You ask for some bread and you will get it for desert. On several occasions we did not get what we’ve ordered for breakfast even though the waitress took notes of our order.
And we had to ask for every single thing as NOTHING WAS OFFERED. You practically feel like a nuisance for asking so you don’t or you get it yourself. Not once did we hear “Is there anything else that I can offer you?”, “May I recommend..” or “More wine?” Often we had to ask “what’s for desert” because they would not mention anything after you are done with your meal! If you don’t ask you don’t get it.
Same with the room service. You have to ask to restock the fridge with water or beer. So they do it once but not the following day. Need to ask for fresh beach towels (I guess you are expected to use the same one for 7 days). One day there was only one bath towel in our bathroom. I guess we should share?!
They don’t provide shampoo or conditioner in this boutique hotel so bring some with you! We got a few containers of a cheap lotion and some soap the first day and that was it! You can’t help but feel like now that they got your money they want you to “use up” as little as possible.

Don’t expect to find a nicely rolled fresh beach towel on your Bali bed once you hit the beach in the morning. In fact you will need to clean the space after the previous guests (sand, soft drink cans, etc) . BTW, the beach towels we got were some old rags that I would use to wash my car (included in pictures).

Cleaningness– we found many long, dark hairs in our bed the first night! I could not shake off the idea from my head that maybe the bed sheets were never washed?

I have upgraded our room to the bigger Superior room but did not get it as they were not available. I guess I need to take it up with hotels.com?
Overall we felt that this hotel was overpriced for what we got. Clearly they don’t offer the amenities that are expensive to keep like a gym, swimming pools, spa, entertainment so what we were expecting to get instead in this simple rustic setting is an extraordinary service, personalized touches, interesting wine and cocktail choices, and those special things you expect from an intimate boutique hotel. We did not get it.

Room Tip: Beach front is a must. Room 22 is a small room but with a nice deck and lovely view.
8 Thank Ania P
, Owner at Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your positive comments and other areas highlighted which assists in our efforts to continously improve the experience.
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

Keyonna Beach is a new, all-inclusive resort. It has been open approximately six months. All of the furnishings are new and contemporary. I had a corner room which was small, but since there is not a television, you are only sleeping and changing there anyway. Currently, there are only seven rooms, so it feels uncrowded even when they are full. They are building some stand alone cottages. I had an ocean-view room, and the view and proximity to the dining room were outstanding.

The staff was outstanding and very attentive to guests' needs. The dining staff, Victoria and Francine when I was there, also double as bartenders. They are friendly and make you feel welcome. Lisa, the guest services representative, was helpful, arranging transportation and a snorkel trip on which there were only three people. It was great! The grounds keeper got us a fresh coconut and greeted us every morning.

Meals are ordered from a daily menu and cooked when you order it, in the order that you arrive in the dining room. The food was gormet and always outstanding. No burger and fry menu here. You should go to the dining room before you are hungry, because food delivery is slow. We waited two hours one night.

The resort has no pool, but who cares. Rooms are ten yards from the ocean and its blue-green water. They have plenty of lounge chairs and covered beach beds to accomodate all guests.

This is the perfect place to relax and unwind. The island is beautiful and the people are friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: I would always choose ocean-view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Trippin26
Thank you for your review and we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We have noted all aspects of your feedback with a view to continually improving the experience.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

Had the must excellent lunch great service and staff well worth a vist .

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you Maggie for taking the time to provide feedback. We look forward to your return.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turners Beach
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#2 of 16 in St. John's
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,188 reviews

Been to Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua? Share your experiences!