“Lunch”

Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Birnam
Edinburgh
“Lunch”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband and I were staying in Birnam (not here, thankfully) and we had been out walking. We decided to have lunch here rather than go back to our lodge. This was a bad mistake. We had soup and sandwiches. The soup was cold. The expensive sandwiches were stale and sparsely filled. My egg mayonnaise and tomato had no tomato. They were also advertised with a salad garnish but there was not even a lettuce leaf on the plate. This was the only blip in a fantastic weekend.

London, United Kingdom
“Is she staff??”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and i visited the small pizza joint a few months ago, as we were visiting family in Dundee. We decided to go out for the day but soon regretted it. We had heard of the Birnam Hotel a couple of times, but never really took much notice. When we arrived in Birnam we were shocked at how much traffic could possibly pass through such a small village and due to limited car park spaces, we parked our car next to the Birnam Gallery. After a lovely walk down to the birnam, we were met by an older woman smoking on the outside of the decking (the wooden deck complements the stone building perfectly 10/10) After fighting through the smoke, we entered the warm candle-lit atmosphere, greeted by the smells of the kitchen..but sadly NO staff! This struck us immediately as there is a sign that tells customers "wait to be seated" My husband noticed two members of staff in the other room, the bar and after standing for nearly three minutes we eventually seated ourselves.
The next surprise was when the woman who we spotted outside walked to our table, the stench of cigarettes surrounded us. She handed us menu's and walked away. "is she staff?" i asked my husband! Sadly we were ignored for a further ten minutes, not even our drink order was taken until we ordered food. A young boy came over eventually and took our order, he was very polite and apologised to us for the delay..but as i looked into the bar, i seen NO customers at the bar, only one table of two. Why were we left waiting when there was only one table..and three members of staff? I have no complaints about the food. Compliments to the chef on all levels!! When we proceeded to pay the bill, by this time we had had enough of the place for one day, the woman (who i was already unimpressed with) was sitting on the opposite side of the bar, eating her dinner and chatting to the staff who were slumped over the bar. I had to ask three times until one of the boys heard me asking for the bill. Fantastic food, Fantastic prices but appalling staff!

6 Thank collen j