“Fabulous weekend in Birnam and Dunkeld”
Review of Jessie Mac's

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Birnam
Jessie Mac's
GreenLeadersGold level
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Fabulous weekend in Birnam and Dunkeld”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I had a great stay at Jessie Mac's. Dot and Brenda are really welcoming, the breakfasts were fantastic and room really clean and comfortable. There is also a comfortable lounge. Wifi worked and the location is perfect for the station, Birnam Oak and only a short walk (c. 10 mins max) from centre of Dunkeld. Dunkeld and Birnam are both beautiful with nice pubs, the fab @ScottishDeli, other shops like the smoked salmon shop and the cathedral. Really good walks to the Hermitage and further afield. All in all a perfect weekend.

Room Tip: I stayed in Lyon but all rooms looked nice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had a great stay - handy location, stunning scenery all around, excellent breakfast, clean and well-furnished room, delicious free muffins and scones, comfy sitting room to chill out in.

Dot and Brenda couldn't have been more helpful or hospitable. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
PA
Reviewed April 1, 2013

OK....I guess I'll start off by sharing why I only gave Jessie Mac's an average score.....It was FREEZING! When I asked about more heat, I was offered a hot water bottle.....In two of the other B&B's we stayed in Scotland, there were electric heated mattress pads!

Now....I will tell you that we were immediately invited to a wonderful Scottish/Irish music session being offered locally that night.....every tuesday evening in Birnam!

Also, I will comment on the breakfast....I really think this was the finest breakfast we were served in Scotland! I had great porridge with whiskey cream (don't knock it till you've tried it), and scrambled eggs w/ some of the best salmon I had in Scotland!

All in all, I think I'll knock my review up to very good!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
tuftheid, Owner at Jessie Mac's, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
We really enjoyed having you to stay and it was great that you made it up to the music session – one of the best kept secrets in the area.
We put our hands up to the room being cold – we’re really sorry about that. We’ve just put in a high efficiency heating system and we were still getting the hang of it when you stayed with us.
Thanks for the kind words about breakfast. We want to become the best at what we do and feedback really helps us to focus on any improvements.
Best wishes, Dot & Brenda
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Can only confirm all the other comments - I got a doub;e bedroom ensuite at hostel rates. Muffins and scones saying "Please eat me!", hot water bottles, maps and books available, hot showers, TV in the room. Lovely lounge to sit and chill in.
Dot and Brenda so friendly and helpful. Great area for walking and cycling. Try the Scottish Deli in Dunkeld for great cheese and coffee.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We made a last minute booking completely by chance and boy were we pleased we ended up here. Dot, the inn-keeper, could not possibly be nicer. I simply cannot put into words the level of hospitality and friendliness. A real warm smile and a true love for what she does. It transpires into the whole place.

Most hostels where I've stayed before I always come away feeling that they were just trying to get the money out of me. This place is completely different. You come away feeling like you got even more than what you paid for.

Couldn't recommend more highly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Shipley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Found by chance when looking for a place to stay to break our trip from Yorkshire to Sutherland . What a find !!!
We were so pleased with our experience that we booked to stay on our return journey. On arriving we were given a warm welcome from Dot with a welcome tray of tea and wonderful homemade muffins with fruit and seeds.. On the trip north my friend and I had separate double rooms with en suite. The rooms were spotless warm and comfortable .......'.just as it says on the box' on the return trip we shared one of the bunk rooms with beds for 4. Again this was fresh,warm and comfortable.. The breakfast of fresh fruit berries plus scrambled egg and Tayside smoked salmon fresh coffee was in a class of its own and not to be missed. The self catering kitchen well equipped and lives up to green credentials. Dot pointed us towards Dunkeld ,a 5 minute walk and We caught a local art Exhibition plus 2 great evenings at the Tay Bank with live music acoustic guitar and fiddle players. Lots of things left to do in the area including visiting the Cathedral and spending a few days hiking. I cannot recommend Jessie Macs too highly........I am sure it will become a destination for many of those who stay. Oh . . . I must mention beautiful fresh flowers around the place........lots of extra touches but without fuss and nonsense !!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor are quieter for those going to bed early or getting up a bit later
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was on a winter mountaineering trip with my mates and we booked a bunk-room at this "hostel" for the same price as a standard youth hostel. That's where the comparison ends. Extremely comfortable beds, huge communal space, outstandingly well equipped self-catering kitchen, very well kept and clean. But most of all, the hosts, Dot and Brenda, were so helpful, welcoming and friendly. The whole experience was outstanding, and the home-made fresh muffins just wonderful! As a post-script, we left something behind, and the Jessie Mac's team went out of the way to ensure we got it back. Most highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birnam
Dunkeld House Hotel
#4 of 18 in Pitlochry
Ballathie House Hotel
Ballathie House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Stanley

Been to Jessie Mac's? Share your experiences!