“late Deal”
Review of Birnam Hotel

Birnam Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Birnam B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The hotel its self looks grand and the entrance is certainly that. But unfortunately that's about as far as the grandure goes, our room was on the second floor and looked out to the back yard and bin! On opening the door we were greeted with a wall with a recess with an ironing board and an iron and shelf which was actually your wardrobe! On entering the room which was large and spacious the bed looked massive but we later found that this was 2 single beds put together and was rather uncomfortable. The bathroom looked like it could do with refurbishment the shower curtain rail looked like it had been put up at the last minute as the hinges and glue from an old glass screen were still on the bath.......the shower tiles looked like they needed to have a good bleach and clean as it looked like some were black with mould. But the shower did run hot and ran well....the bedside lights didn't work and there was no where to plug the kettle in unless you moved it beside the dressing table, as for the television it was supposed to be free view, with DVD built in, but was only normal channels an no where for DVD's also I have a larger monitor at my work for my computer! Along with our deal we had afternoon tea which was served in the bar, the service was okay, after being asked twice what we would like, to be fair the food was a surprise and really tasty. With a good helping of sandwiches, cake and biscuits which would seem to have been all homemade. The breakfast the next day was also very tasty with a portion size that would be enough to keep you going throughout the day, we would have no complaints about the srevice as the hotel seemed empty for only 3 or 4 rooms full. Disappointed would her how we felt on our trip,has there was no chat or welcoming from any staff on arrival or departures, just the formalities. If hotels wish to participate on the itison voucher scheme, they should really think about using these as a way to encourage people back to pay full price. The room and service was not worth the half price deal we paid.

Room Tip: Ensure all services in the room work, before you need them
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AilyD
There are newer reviews for Birnam Hotel

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I arrived late and was checked in by the General Manager, To say he was surly and brusque would be an understatement.
My room was perfectly clean, but I can't ever remember staying in a hotel where the shower and loo were in the bathroom, and the sink was in the main bedroom. Quite bizarre!
The lady serving in the bar was efficient, albeit unsmiling. Attempting to pay for a round of drinks with a debit card caused her face to droop more as she had to make the trip to the card machine in reception.
I left too early for breakfast, but Margaret the waitress topped up my flask of coffee with milk. Again, a smile wouldn't go amiss.
All in all, this could be a really lovely place to stay. The area has outstanding scenery, the baronial building is beautiful, and the lounges are cosy. But the service lets this place down badly. An investment in training and customer service is desperately needed.

Room Tip: Not much of a view from either side of the building.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank carlislecat
birnamhotel, General Manager at Birnam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Thank you for commenting on your recent overnight stay at the hotel we are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion - your point have been noted

Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Having worked in hospitality for many years, my husband and I tend to really appreciate good service and good food. There is no doubt the quality of food at the Birnam was very good and it is such a lovely location. What let it down massively was the horrendous service we received. Our experience ranged from; not being given any menus; our plates not being cleared while staff walked past empty handed 5 times; staff swearing in kitchen (when a customer was waiting for starter for almost an hour) unaware that the whole restaurant heard his tirade; openly dismissing a customer who wanted to split his bill; bringing desserts that weren't for our table...it continues. As someone who lives quite locally I would hate for this to be representative of Scottish hospitality. All this nice establishment needs is some simple structure, training and attention to detail. Hopefully it gets the TLC it deserves asap. I would return if only in the hope that our experience was a once off.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank LCAPerth_Scotland

Thank you for taking the time to submit you review your feedback is importnat to us. I appologise for any swearing that you and others may have heard as this is not acceptable. Your comments have also been brought to the bar and waiting staff's attention in ordder that this might not happen again. We are hoever pleased that you found the food to be very good

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Firstly as already mentioned in other reviews the area and town of Birnam/Dunkeld is a beautiful place indeed and anyone passing through should take the time to see it for themselves.
This hotel however almost spoilt our stay here as we were made to feel unwelcome in what is a very welcoming and lovely town.
The hotel itself looks beautiful from the outside and indeed inside at the reception it looks very charming. We were checked in efficiently by the receptionist who I believe to be the manager. No small talk or chat but that is ok. We were given the key to a room and I mentioned we had a dog with us and to double check I asked if that was ok. He shook his head and said no, you need to arrange this prior to checking in. We then showed him on our reservation that mentioned a dog. We were then given keys to another room which I assumed would allow easier access to and from for the dog. It turned out to be upstairs and tucked away at the back of the hotel, and to be one of if not the smallest room in the hotel and very dated. Rather than provide a room with better ease of access, we appeared to be given an old room they couldnt care less about. This left us feeling angry and even discriminated against as we booked the hotel in the beginning as it mentioned dogs were welcome.
The room was very small and dated, the key to unlock the door hardly worked and took a long time to jiggle the key into and out of the lock. The bathroom was very small and the sink was actually in the main room next to the dressing table. Photos are attached. Inside the bathroom there was an extractor fan which sounded like a helicopter taking off. Plus the shower made a loud whining noise, in the key of D I believe, but again very loud.
That evening we ate in the Italian themed restaurant next to the main hotel building. The staff in here were lightyears ahead of their colleagues next door. They were friendly, welcoming and very helpful. They could/should give lessons to the workers next door.
The next morning we attended for breakfast and despite there being only 2 tables already in use we were immediately ordered to a table in a corner by the waitress. We wanted a table by the window but felt it best not to argue as it was almost a bark/order from her. Not even a hello or good morning, just a "SIT HERE PLEASE". So we placed our order for breakfast and were largely ignorned. Our tea and coffee was brought out, again no small talk at all from the waitress who instead stood and talked to another couple, very friendly to them but ignored us, infact I noticed a few unfriendly glances as she passed us which angered me. about 15 minutes later our breakfast was brought out, again no words or small talk or even a simple "enjoy".
By now we were the only people left eating, the food I have to admit was very nice, for me anyway. My fiancee had the vegetarian breakfast and only ate half it as it was overcooked and the poached egg was solid. After some time we were asked if we were finished and our plates taken away. Again no "was that ok?" as would normally be expected, especially if one of the plates was hardly touched as obviously it wasnt ok.
Checking out was simple enough, but again no courteous enquiry as to how was our stay. Its a lovely building, a bit dated and rough around the edges, but its in a fantastic location. It was good there was no surcharge for the dog. The main let down, and it is a big let down which will prevent us from staying here again is the staff and their poor attitudes. We will be visiting Dunkeld again numerous times in the future, but we will be staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Just get in and get out and enjoy the beautiful scenery
3  Thank KandC_Love_Z3
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Would have given 4/5 - but for the attitude of a staff member, who turned out to be the General manager! In short - we waited to be seated for breakfast as the notice requested, and after some while realised that only 1 waitress was attending to approx 8 tables with 30 + guests. So like others after us, we sat down at one of few available tables. Subsequently waited ages while the very busy waitress tried to get round everyone. I spotted to be what seemed to be a more senior member of staff who appeared to be restocking bread, I ventured to ask if there was only one waitress because there were issues of people waiting and not being seated and getting orders taken. He was very defensive and argumentative saying that it did not matter how many waiters there were because the chef could only cope with so many orders at once and that people were causing a problem by not waiting to be seated. He did not take on board my comments, show any empathy and indeed it was a huge surprise to find when checking out this was none other than the general manager and I had no further recourse! The busy waitress actually shouted near the end of service 'has everyone been fed?!' to a ripple of laughter as it felt people realised how manic and busy it had been but she had tried her best. When I raised the matter at check out the manager was again not listening and when asked said that he felt 1 waitress was sufficient to look after the number of people there and that no one else had complained. I do not usually complain but made the effort to try to pass on my customer experience and concern but felt intimidated and shaken by his responses. While we have enjoyed the facilities and food at the Birnam Hotel in the past we will not return under the present management. Looking at some of the other Trip Advisor comments it appears we are not the only ones to have a bad experience and indeed some of the management replies seem to highlight the bad attitude.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank jane h
birnamhotel, General Manager at Birnam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to express your diapointment with with recent stay. I am very sorry that you found my attitude unacceptable to you. I can assure you that this is not usually the case. Every guest that stays in hotels leave with a different experience - see comments from other guest who also stayed on the same evening.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

On the spur of the moment, we decided to go the House of Bruar at Blair Atholl and thought we would make a weekend of it. So look on the internet for hotel within 30 mile radius. Not many hotels with available rooms but the The Birnam Hotel had a double room, look ok so booked it. I phoned the day before and booked a table for 2 in the Italian restaurant. Spent the day in Perth then travel the 20 odd miles to Dunkeld, checked in and went up to our room. The hotel was very nice, a bit dated but that’s what we like. The room was fine not the biggest but adequate, clean and tidy. The bathroom was again very nice. After a drink in bar we made our way across to the Italian Restaurant, again this looks as if it had not long been done up. Although the menu looked to be very basic Italian food (Pizza, Pasta) etc. I would honestly say it was one of the best pizzas I have had and my partner’s pasta dish was wonderful. After a good nights sleep we went down to a dining room for breakfast, very good choice. Cooked well (not for wimps) and the service was again excellent. General impression a lovely hotel (shabby chic) the public rooms have been updated and very cosy. A good hotel, the staffs are excellent the food is very good. Great hotel, excellent value for money. We will stay again.

2  Thank Glenn S

Thank you for your kind review. It is very nice when our customers take the time to express the fact that they had a pleasant stay. We hope that you will return to us agian very soon

Reviewed September 8, 2013

1st let me add Dunkeld is a beautiful little town and the hotel is set in magnificent countryside, however on arrival you are soon brought back down to earth.

We were given a downstairs room which if you required wheel chair access would have been perfect but offered little privacy and on opening the door you walked into advertisement placards and a seated area which offered little peace from arriving guests, the noise at reception and having your bedroom situated in the foyer, for all intent and purposes is far from ideal.

I ordered champagne on arrival - this I was charged £50 for a cheap supermarket brand. We then tried the bar area and on 2 occasions we were completely ignored but the 3 under-worked bar staff present - hardly ideal for the service industry.

After reading several other reviews, general rudeness and a real lack of effort by the staff that we came across meant a overall disappointing and off-putting experience.
Service like this could be expected in a bargain basement establishment, however the Birnam hotel is not selling itself as such.

Later on in the evening we went to the courtyard bar where the general lack of service was strongly felt again. To cap all, this morning ( Sunday) we were woken at 6.30am by the guests directly above and the reception area - needless to say we didn't stop for breakfast and left the hotel at 8.00am.

From a Scotsman this portrays Scotland at its worst!

Room Tip: Avoid room 101 unless strictly necessary for ease of access.
2  Thank Peter642013
birnamhotel, General Manager at Birnam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Firstly we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay wth us for this I can only apologise. You had booked a standard room via and agency however on speaking o your daughter and finding out that it was your birthday we moved your room to he Four poster bedroom at no extra cost t you. On your booking form sent to us by the agency you requested that we placed a bottle of Champagne in your room. I can assure you that this is NOT a "Supermarket Brand " and we ahve been suppling this to our guest for nearly four yeasrs now, with no complaints however fully accep that it may not be to everyones taste. The room that you stayed in is booked out almost every wekend with many returning guests requesing this room however I again fully understand that it may not have suited you. If this was the case we would have been more than happy to have tried to allocate you another room.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birnam
Dunkeld House Hotel
#8 of 18 in Pitlochry
Fonab Castle Hotel
Fonab Castle Hotel
#4 of 18 in Pitlochry

Been to Birnam Hotel? Share your experiences!