Birnam Hotel
  • Restaurant
$135
$130
Orbitz.com
Bridge of Cally Hotel(Bridge of Cally)
$84
$90
$87
Tayside Hotel(Stanley)
Priceline
All reviewsscots barhotel baritalian restaurantold buildingbreakfast staffthe riverdouble roomgood nights sleepsteak piefull scottishwaiting staffseen better daysshort breakbreakfast was excellentsunday morningbeautiful locationarts centre
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stopped off in here after disappointment elsewhere. Turned out to our advantage, great little pub at side of hotel with great menu, atmosphere, very helpful staff and pleasant outside seating areas. Stornoway blackpudding and goat cheese salad excellent. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Liz1956008
birnamhotel, General Manager at Birnam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Visited here by chance, and have to say, what a lovely surprise. The food was plentiful, tasty and inexpensive. Service was friendly and attentive. The ambience was bright modern and very clean. We will definitely return.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Basilbig

Thank you for you kind review. We are pleased that you found you recent visit to the Birnam Inn a pleasant one and hope that it wont be long before yu are able to return.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed overnight on our way further north. Our room (104) was shabby and in need of refurbishment. The bathroom showed signs of amateurish diy. The light fitting was dirty and only had 2 working bulbs. The light fitting in the windowless corridor outside was at one third power. We had to ask at reception for a toilet roll.
Although the info in the room detailed restaurant times, the restaurant no longer opens for dinner. You have a choice of eating in the bar or the Inn next door. We ate in the bar and it wasn't bad at all.
Unlike other reviewers we found the staff the best part of the hotel. Although understaffed the staff we met couldn't do enough for us.
Without investment business will decline, without business who can invest?

Room Tip: I wouldn't know.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

On a work trip. After watching me struggle with my 4 bags the receptionist made no offer to help me to the lift let alone my room (on the top floor and at the end of the corridor). He seemed pleased to inform me that I was the last person to check in. "Oh dear" I thought, "does that mean I have the last room?". Turns out I was right! it was clean and comfortable enough but there was a distinct lingering smell of aged cigarette smoke, and the bathroom was a bit shabby. Hotel staff seemed more interested in the large coach party who all arrived for breakfast 5 minutes after me (are any of them likely to return I wonder?). Food and service in the Birnam Inn (part of the hotel) was good, and reasonably priced. Not sure I would recommend for a business trip or family holiday although the coach party all seemed to be enjoying themselves.

• Stayed: May 2013
birnamhotel, General Manager at Birnam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Birnam Hotel. Fistly may I appologise that someone did not offer any assistance with your luggage, we do not have a porter but are usually very willing to assist anyone who wishes assistance. Being the last to check-in does not mean that you are allocated the last room in the hotel. I can only apologise if if felt there was a lingering smell of smoke as there a clear notices throughout the hotel advising guest that we operate a no smoking policy within the entire hotel. With reagrds the coach tour it would suprprise you as to how many persons actually return to us after have been on a coach tour this I would imagine is due to our excellent transport links.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Was at a wedding here on 25/5/2013 have to said have to be the worse service I have ever come across 1st we were told we had a wedding deal but they were charging all my family diff prices and when I ask their attitude
change toward me ,
Only had one staff in the bar Being residents we were looking forward to having a drink after the reception in the residents bar, the hotel decided to close the bar early.
We spoke with the duty manager about this he was rood to down right disgusting to us, Nothing about this hotel could be called friendy if anything nasty.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
birnamhotel, General Manager at Birnam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, however I would like to correct a couple of pouints raised. Guests who mentioned that they were attending wedding and booked directly with the hotel were all charged the same rate. Those who booked by an agency or who booked with the hotel but did not mention that they were with the wedding may well have been charged another rate. With regards the staffing there were two memebers of staff withing the fuction room bar at all times. With regards the issue with drinking aftrer official licencing hour this is sole at the discrection of the manager on duty at that time. Having spoken the the duty manager and to the groom it would apear that due to the foul and abusive language aimed at the staff the groom advised the duty manager to close the bar this was at 1.30am. While I full acept that members of staff should not be rude and abusive to customer this also applies to guests.