“Rooms with a view” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cascina Bricchetto Langhe

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Trezzo Tinella
Cascina Bricchetto Langhe
Evergreen, Colorado
“Rooms with a view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

The evening the four of us arrived at Giovanna`s place, I cut my hand between thumb and second finger when the handle of my heavy suitcase snapped. Giovanna immediately took her car and drove me (with my wife) at the Alba`s Hospital, where I was taken care of at the ER and got a few stitches. On the same trip, she accompanied us to get pastry at some special shop in Neive, to celebrate Lynda`s birthday. That describes the relationship that Giovanna has with her customers.

While talking, Giovanna expressed her frustration about a review some of her guests had just posted on Trip Advisor. Upon reading it, I felt truly in awe at the utter sanctimoniousness of what was written and promised myself to reply, with few notes, to the only negative review (upon 31 positive) Giovanna had got. Though, on second thought, these frequent visitors of Italy would not deserve much of a comment. Apparently, the old man in the company (God bless him) was peeing while standing, lost his balance and had to put his hand, greasy for some ointment or cream, on the wall, leaving a mark. As the fellow says, the wall was not treated with waterproof paint, but that`s not a cause for shocked astonishment. In Italy, walls of old houses are thick and it`s sensible to use paints that let them breathe and transpire, not to mention the obnoxious chemicals contained in those paints. And, it is certainly not a reason to organize such a retaliation and create a spurious drama out of simple things of life.

Giovanna has replied to all the points already, but let me add that anyone who visits Italy and doesn`t want to just stay on the main tourist track of Rome, Florence and Venice while traveling in autostrade, has to deal with tortuous and narrow roads that sometimes are terrifying, like in Liguria or Sicily. The geography of Italy (as big as Colorado but with 55 millions people living there against 5 millions) is complex, with mountains, hills, lakes, rivers and what else, with the most beautiful locations still built around a medioeval center. The charming Langhe territory has its share of narrow, winding roads, but then the dirt road that goes to Cascina Brichetto is just a pretty normal, fine road that one can drive even in the middle of the night without concern (unless if affected by some nerve problem), since all cars are provided with lights. Hairpin bends? Living on the edge? What a drama queen story.

Well, we had a fine and fun time at Cascina Brichetto. The house is great, but the surroundings are even better. The view is spectacular, if you walk up (for just a minute) to the small hill top on the side of the house, you`ll be among fruit trees newly planted, in complete silence and the unique landscape of Langhe displayed under your eyes. And, by the way, I sat once just out of the parking place, to read a book and take some sun...it is not `dingy` at all, it`s just nature...unless you are disturbed if the wind blows a few leaves on you....you know, some people have a panic dread of nature....they would scrub it clean, cover it up with tiles, coat it up with waterproof paint and wrap the whole thing in self-righteousness...It was nice, instead, to come back in late afternoon or in the evening and be in such a good natural place to stay....you could see and feel that the place was renewed and put together again with passion and hard work, making a top notch job while preserving the sense and feel of an old cascina...

Anyway, that how it was for us...Langhe is a really unique place, because of the territory and, of course, for food and wine. Our best experience for food was at `Il Camino` in Bossolasco, which is in Alta Langa, about half an hour drive from Trezzo Tinella. We visited a few wineries, but we loved Roagna, in Barbaresco.

Our best to whoever will stay at Cascina Brichetto and to whoever will visit Italy. If you are a traveler and not a tourist, you`ll need the right attitude to enjoy this unique country. And, please, do not bother is you have to drive a few minutes away in order to keep our beautiful country clean.

Enzo

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank EnZhu
JoyLanghe_Piedmont, Proprietario at Cascina Bricchetto Langhe, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear guests ... in the past,

by reordering our page on TripAdvisor I re-read what you wrote about your stay at Cascina Bricchetto Langhe. Thank you very much, I was very pleased.
I take this opportunity to send you some information about the changes introduced recently:
a. renovation of the "Portico" in which there are also two covered terraces, one overlooking the south and the other facing east, are furnished with tables - chairs - armchairs ... are perfect for dining, reading and enjoying playing a splendid panorama and perhaps "keep an eye" while the kids are in the playground there before;
b. new website cascinabricchetto (I'd really like to know your opinion), please write to me?
d. UNESCO has entered our territory in the "World Heritage".

I hope that you will return to experience our hospitality in person and maybe even a Cooking class, a new wine tasting tour ... and whatever else you want to do / see in our beautiful Langhe.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Yes, Cascina Bricchetto is in a remote location, but we were aware of this before booking. We found the remoteness of the location to be no big deal and, in fact, found the panaramic views from the property to be amazing. Our apartment, La Torre, was spotless and left nothing to be desired. We were welcomed with a bottle of wine and a bowl of grapes fresh from the vineyard upon our arrival. The four of us are wine "aficionados" and so had asked Giovanna to set us up with some wine tastings in the area. Her selection of wineries and the appointments she made were amazing. We sat with vintners and their families tasting the fruits of their labor and enjoyed their company, as well. Our only suggestion to Giovanna would be to have better maps and directions to places in the surrounding areas. As newcomers to Piedmont, it was a little bit challenging getting around. Other than that, our only regret was not being able to extend our stay beyond our 3 day reservation. There is so much to do and see in the Piedmont area, especially if you are into wines as we are. Even an entire week would not have been enough.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I travel a lot and I almost never write reviews, but I couldn't resist in this case because it was sucha great experience. This property is amzing. It's certanly tucked away and accesed by narrow roads, but my GPS took me right to it with no problems. And once I had done it, it was even easy at night. The remoteness of the place is part of it's charm in my opinion. When I arrived, I couldnt believe my eyes. The facility is clean and new and beautiful, situated atop a hill overlooking gorgeous vinyards and farm houses in all directions. I sent pictures to my friends while staying there and they literally didn't believe that I took the shots! That's how amazing it is. It looks like it came from a book or a movie. While the property itself is fantastic, the owner, Giovanna, is even better. She's sweet as can be, knowledgable about the area, speaks very good english and truly cares about her guests. I could not imagine a better host. After learning what I was looking for, she even referred me to her local favorite restaurant and called the owner/chef for me. They were able to fit me in on a busy night because of that call. It was an incredible experience, immersed in local flavor. Just the sort of thing you hope to stumble upon but rarely do. Besides her great taste, salso keeps the place immaculate. This has not been my experience at most other places I've staye\d in Italy, so it stands out to me. All in all, just a perfect experience that could only be improved by staying longer. I love Cascina Bricchetto and I love Giovanna even more :)

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great. I'd suggest that you with Giovanna in advance since the place is sor...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear guest...in the past,

san francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

This time round in Italy, we decided to split our holidays between the hills of Tuscany and the hills of Piemonte. Following four wonderful days in Tuscany (reviewed separately) with my wife and her parents, we traveled to the tiny village of Trezzo Tinella atop a mountain in the spectacular Alta Langa in the Langhe region of Piemonte. Piemonte is truly wonderful and we will be back. Cascina Bricchetto Langhe – not so much. When we return we will be certain to stay at one of the many equally spectacular agriturismos or rental homes that we saw in the hilltops surrounding Barolo and Barbaresco.

Having read all of the wonderful reviews of Cascina Brichetto Langhe, we were truly disappointed by our experience here – the only truly bad experience we have had in our multiple visits to Italy which number a cumulative total of approximately 20 separate occasions. Given that this is not a bargain priced accommodation, we are certain that one can do better in the same price range.

The positives first:

1. The location is remote – at almost the very top of a contoured hill side – and we had spectacular views of the Piemonte countryside, vineyards and sunsets from our room in the villa called Ca dra Topia

2. The villa was spacious, well-appointed and comfortable and the rooms were large, clean and modern.

3. Our upstairs room in had a great wrap-around balcony from which to enjoy the view

So, what made this a negative experience overall?

1. While this has been alluded to by others I would like to point out that the location is truly “remote.” The road / path up to the villa is narrow, tortuous – with several hairpin bends along the way - unlit, and has sheer drops on each side at several points. While this is not a concern during daylight, after sunset you will want to think twice about whether you want to go out for a relaxing dinner in any of the nearby towns since the path that winds up the hillside is not on GPS and you will need to rely on signs (which are few) and visibility which is limited. The closest place our proprietress could suggest to us was more than 10 km away. While the thought of returning from dinner after a good meal and a nice bottle of wine driving along this narrow path in the pitch darkness does offer a sense of thrill and living-on-the-edge (literally) adventure, my wife had strong and justified concerns.

2. Nickel-and-diming / Grasping Behavior / Questionable Tactics

(i) The walls in the bathroom adjoining my wife’s parents’ room were not tiled and as it turns out were painted with non-waterproof paint! My wife’s elderly father placed his wet hand on the wall which left a mark where the paint absorbed the water. Ignoring for a moment the genius that leads someone to use non-waterproof paint in a bathroom in a rental home, the proprietress – rather than letting the wet area dry – came in and rubbed the spot vigorously, which as one would expect with non-waterproof paint created an unsightly smudge on the wall. While she acknowledged that she had rubbed the wall she insisted on charging us 50 euros for the damage that had resulted from this action rather than her simply allowing sufficient time for it to dry. In a prime example of adding insult to injury, she was thoroughly rude about this too even while extracting the additional 50 euros from us which we chose to pay rather than argue and put up with more unpleasantness.

(ii) Giovanna does not accept credit cards - which was fine with us because she had indicated that she would take Pay Pal in lieu of credit cards. However, when we arrived she put a full court press on us to pay her in cash. While the bait and switch tactic was certainly questionable, we tried to accommodate her by looking for banks that would cash our traveler’s checks on a Saturday – unsuccessfully. Her pushy behavior in trying to persistently get close to a thousand dollars in cash out of us without any advance notice was one of many undesirable interactions with her.

(iii) When we indicated that we could not pay her in cash but would use Pay Pal as she had indicated previously that we could, she made certain to convey her portion of the Pay Pal service fee (4.25%) to us in our final invoice.

(iv) WiFi is advertised as available throughout. It is, but you have to use Giovanna’s personal account and she will charge a monetary contribution for your use of it.

(v) Giovanna will also charge a small monetary contribution for use of salt, pepper, oil etc. that is in the kitchen cabinets.

3. A lot of rules that are not easy to comply with: The Alta Langa area is into composting, recycling etc., which we highly approve of. There are separate bins for organics, paper, and glass. However the organics bin is not on the property and is located driving distance away away on the side of the windy road on the hillside. The paper needs to put in a plastic bag before it can be placed in the bin in which plastics are not permitted (go figure). And we never could ascertain where things like aluminum foil were supposed to go.

4. Sheer Gall and Obnoxiousness: Upon our return to the US we found an email waiting for us from Giovanna in which she accused us of breaking a “plate of white China” and attempting to repair it with the added statement “and not a very good job.” We had neither broken anything nor attempted to repair anything. We have no explanation for this last salvo from Giovanna other than she was perhaps hoping for additional income from us.

Another point – which did not impact us due to our balcony in Ca dra Topia - is that while Giovanna advertises a nice covered seating area on the premises, it is right next to the parking structure and is dingy and not very inviting as somewhere you would want to sit and relax. If you choose to stay at Cascina Brichetto Langhe, we recommend you make sure your rooms have their own outside seating area (balcony or patio) so you can enjoy the views.

Finally, in the context of all of the great reviews on Trip Advisor of this accommodation, we don’t know what to make of our very different experience. All we can do is speculate and say that the reviews we read were a let-real down.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank trippergalore
JoyLanghe_Piedmont, Proprietario at Cascina Bricchetto Langhe, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Here is our answer to this review and our description of facts.
1. The main photo clearly shows the location of the farm and the type of road that reaches it, perhaps the gentleman, in his description, got confused with the road that runs along the Gorge du Verdon or some South West Canyons. I would like to totally reassure readers that no guest ever had a car accident, instead most customers have a fine dinner out and come back safely at night.

2. Guests requiring Internet access are informed that the specific connection (which is not my own) is subject to charges (that would be one euro par person) as well as the use of food (pasta, rice, tomato, sugar, coffee, tea, salt, oil, vinegars, dried soups and risottos, stock cubes, and spices) and detergent for the dishwasher and the washing machine so those who do not want to pay do not use them; by the way the whole set costs 20 Euro.

3. The customer asked to have room and bathroom cleaned on a daily basis, thus on the second day I inquired about the hand shaped spot (located at my shoulder's height, just above the water closet); the customer replied it was a water stain and promptly, wetting his hand, made a spot with water on the wall. Obviously two days later the water formed spot was gone, while the greasy one was still on the wall As you can see from the pictures included, in this bathroom tiles are up to a height of 140 cm and the paint is washable, though it is not a plastic coating. Due to the imminent arrival of other guests I needed an urgent repair, which implied repainting the entire corner; I spent 100 Euro, and asked the gentlemen to contribute 50 Euro.

4. At the portal where the gentlemen made the reservation, the terms of payment and booking deposit are clearly stated. In addition, there is also an aerial picture, and the booking conditions were repeated and emphasized in both the first offer and in the final confirmation, Why has this customer complained here and not also on the booking portal which, appropriately, verifies customer reviews before publishing them?

5. As the terms of payment require a cash deposit to be made immediately upon arrival, the customer delayed it for some days, since they wanted to avoid paying the transfer fee to PayPal (as it was stated in the confirmation of reservation) They told me that they would pay cash but since the following day was Saturday and Banks in Alba while being open banks failed to maintain the exchange rate from dollar to euro (though I am told that one can easily draw money from an ATM), that was not possible. Then, on Monday it came out that they had problems with the credit card. In the end the Pay Pal payment order was given on the morning of their departure, and I received the money in my account 48 hours after that. Those statements are well documented and I have no problems about giving evidence.

6. Separate collection of rubbish:
The waste glass box and aluminum box are located in the garage. Further away there are those for paper and plastic. The organic container is at about 600 m from the house, on the side of the incoming road (thus, when you leave, all what you need to do is to stop and drop your bag). Such are the rules of garbage collection here, not different, I believe, than most other parts of the world and rather easy to follow.

7. The outdoor areas are shared between all the guests: they can put sofas and chairs wherever they like, but this customers have used exclusively the pergola next to the house where they lived. Covered terraces can sometimes have a few dead leaves brought from wind. This customer decided on his own to leave the car on the common area close to kid's sandpit and I was wrong not to let it park in the garage.
Most guests, I should say, are delighted to leave in a place with such outstanding view of the Langhe hills, in a full natural environment and deep silence.

8. Thank you for the patience to read this far. I should conclude saying that Cascina Brichetto has received the very strict Quality Certification by "Ospitalita' Italiana" for the last 5 years. It's rather offensive that the customer insinuated that the good reviews I received were false. It seems to me that all what happened could have been dealt with great ease and this review of my house was done for the sole intent of creating some damage
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

We had a wondeful stay in the beautiful and perfectly equiped appartment. The quiet surrounding is perfect to relax. Thank you Giovanna for your friendly hospitality and your excellent tips on winerys.
Regards Annette and Patrick from Germany.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnnetteP176

Ottawa Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We rented the 3 bedroom 3 bath facility for our family cosisting of my wife and I our son and daughter in law and grandson 17. We relaxed as soon as we moved in and enjoyed the wonderful vistas and the view of the alps at many different times of day. Shopping was fun in the small towns nearby on market days and the wine selection and tasting was enjoyable.
Giovanna was able to reccomend several fine restaurants and made reservations for us and we were never disappointed in her choices. We stayed for ten days and were sad to leave.
This is a place to think and relax. A perfect spot for artists, photograpers, writers and lovers of good food and wine. We all would like to return again. Nick & Hildegard Knowlton Ottawa Canada

Room Tip: As a senior I liked the ground floor room with no stairs and the adjacent full bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JoyLanghe_Piedmont, Proprietario at Cascina Bricchetto Langhe, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear guest,

Reordering our page I read your review with pleasure and I thank you very much.
There are several things that occurred after your stay, I am writing following the most important:
- Dedicated server for Internet wi-fi,
- Restructuring of the Portico in which they were created two covered terraces and furnished with great views, it has also housed a garage for guests,
- Creation of a new website that you can link cascinabricchetto.it also from our TripAdvisor page,
- Creation and update of the weekly business page facebook "Agriturismo Cascina Briquette"
- Cooking class experiences and wines tours,
- The inclusion of our country in the World Heritage Site "by UNESCO.
We have prepared some news that there will soon be on our website and in the business pages mentioned above.

I hope they keep a good memory of your stay and see you again here with us and cuddle "as we have the pleasure of doing"

Thanks again, and we hope you'll choose Cascina Bricchetto Langhe the next time you're in Piedmont.

Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

We had a fabulous time in this most breathe taking home and beautiful views! I wanted to sing the hills are alive with the sound of music every morning when I woke up and looked out the windows. It was so quiet and peaceful. Giovanna was above and beyond a lovely host. Gave you what you needed to see all the sites and when you wanted privacy she made sure to provide that as well. We had the opportunity to eat fresh vegetables off her land and take in the scenery while we were eating and drinking wine. There wasn't anything we needed that she didn't think of for us. I would highly recommend this lovely farm house.

Room Tip: Cader forn was perfect for us but the other was lovely too.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank wagnerburnie
Dear guest,

Reordering our page I read your review with pleasure and I thank you very much.
- Dedicated server for Internet wi-fi,
- Cooking class experiences and wines tours,
- The inclusion of our country in the World Heritage Site "by UNESCO.