“A magical place, a work of art”
Review of Fogo Island Inn

Fogo Island Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Joe Batt's Arm
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We have been watching from the sidelines as the Fogo Island Inn came into existence after years of planning by Zita Cobb and her team. We had high expectations as we had heard a lot about this place, and it does cost a pretty penny. When we pulled up the driveway to the Inn, it was even better than I expected.

When we were shown to our room (3rd floor, with bath and wood stove) - it literally took my breath away. Floor to ceiling windows with views of the waves crashing onto the rocks below.

There has been so much love and attention paid to every detail in this hotel and the staff were so lovely. We felt well looked after, like we were visiting a relative. We couldn't believe how amazing the food was at the restaurant - especially the homemade blueberry sausage and toutons for breakfast and the local fish for dinner. In the morning, they leave a sunrise basket at the door with fresh scones and thermoses of coffee and tea.

I know I'm gushing but I can't say enough good things about this place. I'm planning to go back next year.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 3rd or 4th floors for the best view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Innkeeper C, General Manager at Fogo Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear Amrita,
Thank you for your comments! And so glad to hear your visit exceeded your expectations. The design is thoughtful in so many ways, and I'm pleased to know you felt well looked after and that you were amazed by the food. We look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

This summer we were lucky enough to stay in the Fogo Island Inn, and I have to say, it was the experience of a lifetime. When you check into a hotel, you expect good service, good food, comfortable and clean environment – and of course the Inn delivered on all of those things, but it is in a class of it’s own. So a 5 rating on trip advisor just doesn’t do justice.

From the moment I entered the front door, I felt like I was a guest in a friend’s home – scratch that – a friend’s mansion. They made it clear that it was my experience, and anything I wanted was okay with them. They had a shuttle bus which took us to local spots and brought us back – no charge, because that’s what friends do. I asked the chef to arrange a 5 course tasting menu for me for dinner rather than eating off the menu. Not only was that okay with him, but each course was so unique to Fogo Island, it was obvious he’d given it a great deal of thought. It was fabulous.

And the room, wow! The floor to ceiling view of the Atlantic was breathtaking, every detail was thought through: the ultra modern ensuite, the cozy quilts, a fireplace in our room, and white noise piped into every room. It was incredible!

We we’re lucky enough to be there when an iceberg could be seen off the coast. The inn arranged for their guests to be taken out by boat for a closer view – a once in a lifetime experience.

It’s really not a just a hotel - - it’s a retreat!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank DebbieL255

Dear Debbie L,
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We're honoured that you feel your visit was in a class of it's own. Glad you felt part of the family at the Inn and that the Chef's tasting menu was fabulous. We'd like to take credit for the iceberg, but will leave that to mother nature. To ensure this isn't a once in a lifetime visit, come back and visit in another season!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

The Inn sits gracefully amongst the natural beauty with its contemporary design which is pleasing to the eye from every angle. If you have an appreciation for beautiful surroundings, casual elegance and down to earth hospitality, this place will certainly delight you. The rooms are breathtaking, stylishly designed with extreme attention to detail. A modern take on traditional keeps the Inn true to its Newfoundland roots. The friendly staff members were all wonderful and eager to please. I sincerely felt a connection to each and every one of them who were thrilled to share their island, their traditions and the beautiful accommodations. They provided a made-to-measure itinerary specially designed for us based on our interests with down time to explore on our own. The dining room is an invitation to delight the senses, deliciously prepared meals; true works of art are served while glancing out at the magnificent scenery. This place is magical, it leaves you wanting more, if you’re a creative type, you will find inspiration, if you are looking to escape the hustle and bustle you will disconnect, if you seek adventure it offers that as well. Highly recommended. Thank you all for a great holiday and hope to see you all agin some day.

Room Tip: They all face the water, you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank deedeeMtl

Dear deedeeMtl,

Thank you for your review. It's true that many guests don't want to leave... We're so glad you highly recommend the Inn as a place to be inspired, a place for adventure and a place to disconnect. and pleased to know our family was eager to please. Come back and visit us again!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

My friend and I stayed @ Fogo Island Inn in late June or early July for 2 nights. It was a wonderful experience ....a new concept in holiday and accomodation. We loved the casual elegance of the Inn and the outgoing friendship of the staff who shared our joy at being there. We were offered and took advantage of the tour of the Inn which added to our familiarization and appreciation of the facility. The beds, bedding and furnishings were very comfortable.

Room Tip: I thought all the rooms were were well situated but there may have been a room that had the view ob...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This breathtaking Inn is world class and the setting is absolutely unique with amazing views from every part of the property. The hotel’s architecture is perfectly blended into its environment and each detail has received the necessary reflection. Every aspect and nuance was simply magnificent from the warm scones and coffee delivered to our room in the morning to the perfectly mixed martinis we sipped in the bar while listening to local musicians. The peace and tranquility was an experience difficult to equal anywhere else in the world. The service was wonderful and the entire Fogo Island Inn team was attentive and friendly and they made us feel like we were guests in their home. I highly recommend visiting Fogo Island and staying at the Fogo Island Inn.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen P
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I recently visited the Fogo Island Inn and had a short stay for coffee and dessert. I must say, I was very impressed by the building and view but was very disappointed with the service and reception. This was surprising, since I had read so much about the Inn before arriving and was not expecting the sterile and less than welcoming greeting we received. Our group of 7 certainly didn't feel any sense of warmth from the front desk staff or the typical Newfoundland hospitality that we felt everywhere else on Fogo Island. I do fully understand this is an upscale Inn and not a pub style motel, but I did expect more in the way of friendliness.

From the moment I called the front desk to request a shuttle and reserve a table for coffee and tea, I was repeatedly asked if I had a reservation at the Inn. I had also mentioned that I had tried to book a tour several weeks previously but was told it was finished by the end of August, even though they had decided to continue with them the day we arrived. In fact their were several that day but they couldn't accommodate us. I then asked if our group could come and have dessert and coffee; (it was about 2 in the afternoon. ) The receptionist kept asking if I had reserved and would need to check with the dinning staff if they could accomodate us. The receptionist kept repeating that we couldn't just come up (I was getting the feeling that we were not wanted)However, by this point the very friendly shuttle driver had shown up and was very eager to give us a drive to the inn. My party of 7 were eager to leave for the Inn and I was still on the phone with the front desk receptionists ,and getting a cold shoulder so I was ready to continue on to more friendlier parts of the island but one of the members of our party really wanted to experience the Inn to see if it was a place she would like to reserve for her upcoming anniversary. Finally, after what seemed an eternity, we were given the "okay" to go up to the inn.

Arriving at the Inn we were ushered into the door, lead to couch chairs and tables by a gentleman, not far from the entrance door and far from the dining room where we lacked a view. I was expecting a dining room full of people however there were only 3 people at the time we came in. Fortunately for us ,our waitress was friendly and polite and our creme tart and scones were delicious. Unfortunately that was the only positive of the trip.

During our short stay we did not get that "down home" warm welcoming Newfoundland feeling. We felt the staff was watching our every move and couldn't wait for us to leave. My 13 year old son walked towards the front desk and was asked if they could help him. He came back and said "Mom what did I do wrong"? He didnt even want to go to the washroom. Another teacher friend took a photo and was told by the same front desk lady not to take photos. There were no signs posted telling us we couldn't do that.

Unfortunately,we walked away feeling that if we spent a thousand dollars for a room or were someone important like Oprah Winfrey, maybe we would have been treated better.

I am a Newfoundlander who have travelled extensively and stayed at numerous 5 star hotels and received 5 star treatment throughout the world. I am also very proud of my Newfoundland heritage and its greatest resource, our people. Your front desk staff should exhibit more of that Newfoundland hospitality and be more cordial, welcoming and warm to "all" who walk through their doors as they may be future potential customers .

People do not remember things when they leave a place they only remember how someone makes them feel. The Inn is just a building , albeit an impressive one, its the people who make it a home.
The driver taking us down the hill was a great soul!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
19  Thank Diane M
Innkeeper C, General Manager at Fogo Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Diane M,
Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your short visit for dessert and coffee at the Inn. I am the General Manager of the Inn and was pleased to hear you found the building and view impressive and that the server and shuttle driver were friendly and polite. I am sincerely concerned and apologize that you felt less than welcomed by other members of our staff. To ensure we provide the proper service, as well as peace and quiet for our in-house guests and visiting guests, we must limit the number of outside visitors and tours of the Inn. We welcome all outside guests, such as your group of 7, with one daily tour (by advance booking). We also offer breakfast, dinner and supper to outside visitors (also by advance reservation). It is unfortunate that your group arrived at the Inn without an advance reservation and at a time that our dining room was closed. At your convenience, I would be pleased to have a conversation with you so that we may further understand your concerns. I may be contacted in person by way of reservations@fogoislandinn.ca .

Reviewed September 3, 2013

What a wonderful experience we had at the Fogo Island Inn. The ambience of the inn is quiet luxury with a focus on the crafts and culture from this beautiful island. Many of the staff have come back to Fogo Island from away and are delighted to be 'home' and it shows... not a false note anywhere. The warmth and service provided was 'above and beyond'....whatever you want to see or do can be arranged. Wherever you travel on the island, the people are special. We always felt welcomed and accepted. While we had to stay a night in our car to wait for the ferry, the Fire Department came to every car in the line with water and food to make sure everyone was taken care of. While it may not have been the most comfortable night's sleep,,. it was one of the more memorable! Fogo Island and its people rock...go and enjoy.

Room Tip: Every room looks over the sea.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Fogo Island Inn? Share your experiences!