“Rainforest Honeymoon”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chachagua
San Jose, California, United States
“Rainforest Honeymoon”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

If you are looking for a unique rainforest experience, then Chachagua Rainforest Hotel is the place for you. My husband and I stayed in a rainforest bungalow, and found it was well worth the upgrade. We had a clean and beautiful room with a large bathroom, and the bungalow had its own covered patio with a hammock, couch, and rocking chair. We found ourselves reading books on the patio during storms to listen to the rain coming down. You will not find much in the way of technology or appliances in your room; there was no air-conditioner (we didn't need it), TV, coffee maker, etc, which ended up being a nice change. We spent most of our time at night at the small bar and restaurant socializing with other guests, and we met a lot of really interesting people. The drinks during Happy Hour are affordable and the food at the restaurant was reasonable and tasty. We used a Living Social deal, and although making arrangements through email prior to our stay made me a little nervous, when we checked in and out from the hotel, everything went smoothly and we weren't mistakenly charged for anything that our "deal" was supposed to include. One tip for a great stay: ask the staff and fellow guests for things to do in the area and you will find that you will have plenty of great options for dining and activities!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ChachaguaHotel, Gerente at Chachagua Rainforest Eco Lodge, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely comment and also for giving us the change of being a part of your memories and vacations.

We will love to have you back on your anniversary….!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed at this place from April 11-15th. It was enjoyable stay and the staff in the restaurant were friendly and accomodative to our needs.

Everything was fine until I realized after the tours that the hotel manager Randall had over-charged me for tours. For example, we took the Suspension bridges guided tour.. It costs about $24 per person(ticket) and $12 per person for the guide, total of $36 per person. Randall had charged us $65 per person for the tour which also does not include the ride to the place, we had our rental vehicle. Upon asking, we were told that the manager "does not know" about the rates offered at the park.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

I hope you had a nice trip back home and also will like to thank you for staying with us and specially about taking time to write us a comment, we are sure there was confusion about the offsite property tour prices handle by the front desk manager at that moment. Our commitment is to ensure all our guests to have only the best and more professional option in different activities to improve the experience here in our lovely resort. Be sure we already made all corrections to avoid any other similar situation in the future.

Please, contact our General Manager to gerencia@chachaguarainforesthotel.com
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was an absolutely wonderful place to stay. All of the staff are so welcoming and accomodating. Our room was beautiful. Hike with Christian, that is well worth it. I agree with other reviews that there is not a ton of privacy (bathroom windows very visible to outside) but at the same time - there was a warm family atmosphere that comes out as a result. Food was excellent, sloths, monkeys, birds, frogs and plenty of other wildlife on grounds including Canella our favorite dog who kept us from missing ours too much. The rocky drive getting in requires 4wheel drive and I recommend renting a vehicle if you are staying here as most taxis charge extra to drive out this far. It's about 20 minute outside of La Fortuna, but I'm glad we stayed on the outskirts and I'd do it again!

California
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Our cabana was very comfortable with a comfortable hammock on the deck. The staff was incredibly helpful and accommodating.
The food in the restaurant was the best that we had the entire trip.
We stayed for a week. We met Christian, the tour guide, toward the end of our trip. We attended the night hike with Christian. He is interesting and knowledgeable and I wish we had met him earlier in our stay!
Very rough road for about a mile, which is part of the beauty! You are out in nature away from everything! But be sure to rent a 4wheel drive vehicle.

Room Tip: Ask to meet the on-site tour guide Christian at the beginning of the trip. Eat in the restaurant...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My family of 5 stayed here for 3 nights and we were very impressed. It was our first time visiting Costa Rica and we wanted the rainforest feel while still enjoying the comforts of a nice place. It is near LaFortuna and about 30 minutes from Arenal. The bungalows are truly unique, with a floor-to-ceiling wood interior and a rain-like shower. We rented one for my husband and me, and another for our 3 boys. We had toucans knocking at our window every morning, the river was right below us, and the porch was the perfect place to lay in the hammock and read, and listen to terrific thunderstorms. William, the manager, was really great to work with, and his demeanor matches the calming feel of the resort. The food was good, we enjoyed strolling the beautiful, well-maintained grounds, and especially enjoyed the resident dog. Driving 2km on a rocky road to get to the hotel added to the ambience. Fabulous place, Mr. William!

Room Tip: The deluxe bungalow has a king-size bed and a great, larger bathroom than the standard room. We were...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Robyn K
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Simply put, this place is heaven on earth. I stayed at the resort once before in 2011, and when the time came for my wife and I to plan our honeymoon, there was no doubt in my mind that this was the first place I wanted to take her.

The resort is right in the heart of the rainforest; about a 3 hour drive from the San Jose airport. If you're comfortable with a bit of adventurous driving, it's great just to rent your own car at the airport and drive yourself. Otherwise, the hotel will provide a shuttle for about $130. If you go the shuttle route, make sure to book a car rental in La Fortuna once you arrive.

The absolute highlight of the trip is the resort's naturalist guide, Cristian. I doubt there's anyone on earth with a more intimate knowledge of the jungle. For a nature lover, walking through the jungle with him is an experience you will never forget. Not only can he seemingly identify every animal by its call alone, but he is an incredible teacher as well. He alone is a reason to book this hotel.

The food: The resort has its own organic farm on site and provides many of its own fruits, vegetables and herbs. The kitchen staff is so fantastic that, other than a few lunches, we ate every single meal at the resort. We stayed at 3 other hotels in CR during our honeymoon, including The Springs (beautiful, but disgustingly overpriced) and not only is the food at Chachagua an order of magnitude better than the rest, it's also half the price.

A few other things:
- if you get to the hotel and demand to see monkeys (as many surprisingly do), you're an idiot. It's a jungle, not a zoo. You might see a ton of animals, you might see none. Just being there is the real experience.

- you will have a few bugs in your room. Again, you're in the jungle. The cleaning staff keeps the rooms absolutely spotless, but their insect wrangling skills are limited.

Bottom line: if you're going to CR, you love nature and you want some adventure, this should be the first place you book.

1 Thank Jamie U
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I’ve had the pleasure of staying there now only two times within a 12 mos. period, but once I arrive, I NEVER want to leave. The property is completely self-sufficient ecologically, trains locals to raise their own sustainable crops, offers luxury bungalows (at the risk of losing my spot- number 114 is the best), offers fast wifi throughout the property, provides delicious meals (all grown on property - livestock, eggs, and all fruit and veg). There are horses available for hire to explore with Carlos ( a knowledgeable, local, gentleman who knows every neighbor along the way). You even have one of the most intelligent, playful, gentle, curious, lovable dog with which to play during your stay (Canela- cinnamon in Spanish)...we always feed her and she hangs out with me while I read in my hammock during rainy afternoons-----it is the rainforest, after all). Make sure to book a rainforest tour with Christian, the on-site naturalist, who is passionately educated as to every plant, amphibian, tree, etc.. along the way- he’s a third generation Chachaguan. Take a plunge in the natural mountain-fed spring swimming pool, stroll through the barn and greenhouse- I just was able to hold a newborn rabbit in the lettuce patch of the greenhouse(no, I'm not Beatrice Potter and no, I'm not joking) ...I could go on and on. Lastly, the hospitality is kind, attentive, intelligent, lovely in all ways....go there....soon!!!!!!

2 Thank Brigitte K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chachagua
Heliconias Nature Lodge
#10 of 58 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Hotel El Silencio del Campo
Hotel El Silencio del Campo
#3 of 58 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Chachagua Rainforest Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!