“A Wonderful Vacation!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Malmok Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Wonderful Vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2007

My husband and I recently returned from a week at the Aruba Beach Villas and I had to review it.

The most obvious thing about this hotel is the view and location. It is a half mile north of the Marriot and is walking distance to both the high rise hotel district as well as some great snorkeling spots in the opposite direction. (If walking to the snorkeling beach, you also get to walk past some of the most impressive and expensive homes on the island!)

The view can't be beat. We could literally see the ocean from our bed and had an amazing view of the beautiful sunsets. Although the beach directly across the street is not good for swimming, it makes for refreshing wading, or just sitting by the water.

I highly recommend getting a room with a kitchenette - we saved a lot of money by cooking local food for about half the trip. (The grocery stores are well-stocked and reasonably priced for the area) The kitchenette is great for almost any type of meal.

The room itself was very clean and updated. There was a deadbolt on the door, as well as a knob lock, which was great. Safety on vacation is extremely important and I did not ever feel unsafe there.

The staff are very nice and helpful. They were nice about recommending restaurants and beaches, etc. The office does close 5, so you're on your own after that. The office also sells water, soda, and snacks, which came in handy a few times when we were in between activities.

There is free wireless internet, though you have to sit outside the office for it to work, and frankly, it was out about half the days we were there. However; when it was working, it was very fast. If internet is crucial and you must get online, there are plenty of spots downtown with free wireless also.

Other good things: alarm clock in the room; always hot water available; power never went out, even when it stormed; free beach towels and snorkeling equipment; free continental breakfast each morning

There were few downsides to this hotel: one was that there was no phone of any kind in the rooms in case of an emergency. There are phones available for use in the office, but like I said, they close early. The other thing was that the palapa area across the street, while a beautiful sight, also seems to attract some locals with perhaps not the best intentions. (As I understand, there has been some petty theft) That being said, I must repeat that I never felt unsafe, and we never had an issue with anything being stolen. Just use common sense, as you would anywhere.

Some notes on Aruba in general: the locals are very nice and most speak English. Dollars are accepted everywhere. An absolute MUST: rent a car!! We rented a Jeep and spent two days driving all over the island. The driving laws are not difficult and we did not find driving there particularly stressful. We saw amazing things we never would have seen had we just stuck to the bus or taxis. (Speaking of, if you don't have a car, definitely use the bus - much cheaper than taxi, safe, and goes all over downtown) The Natural Bridge and Ostrich Farm are awesome, go there; the Natural Pool is highly overrated and not worth the painful trek to get over there. Our FAVORITE was Baby Beach! Absolutely gorgeous and you get to swim with the pelicans!

One of my favorite things about Aruba: NO BEACH VENDORS!!!
This was the first nice trip I've had where someone wasn't bothering me every five minutes to buy something. One smal downside: there are beautiful palapas all over Eagle and Palm Beach; unfortunately, these are pretty much all reserved for specific resorts. We had some luck on slow days, where the beach attendants let us use one until it got too busy and people from those resorts started coming in.

Some restaurants worth noting: The Flying Fishbone, hands down, one of the best experiences there! It's a bit out of the way and about a half hour cab ride outside of town, but definitely worth it. Make reservations and ask for a table in the water! We also greatly enjoyed Aqua Grill, in the high rise area. The food was wonderful and the service was great.

Obviously, we had a wonderful time and will definitely be going back!! Aruba is perfect to relax, unwind, and enjoy the amazing beaches and food!

• Liked — The view of the ocean; very affordable
  • Disliked — Internet was no always available
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank lisaw00

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Saginaw, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2007

I just returned from a week at ABV. The experience is the closest this I have had to fulfilling my fantasy of owning a place on a tropical beach. My spouse, two kids & I rented a one bedroom unit, facing the sea. It was spacious - about 900 sq. ft., with full kitchen, dining area to seat six, HUGE livingroom (with a daybed & hide-a-bed for the kids), bedroom & bath. Nothing fancy, though. It was clean & simple. The space allowed us to spread out in the evenings.
We had a private patio facing the sea, which was great for enjoying coffee in the morning or a glass of wine at sunset. As other posts have noted, there is also a pool area. It is newly updated, clean & virtually unused by other guests. I am not into the resort scene with loud, showy people. I hate packing up a bag & catching an elevator just to go take a dip in the pool, so this was perfect. I also enjoyed having access to a kitchen. We saved hundreds by enjoying our own store-bought beverages and by sauteeing up some local fish for dinner. We paid $34 for an Italian wine at a restaurant on the island, then found it for $14 at Ling & Sons grocery. We bought grouper for $5. Unlike other Carribean destinations, there are few dining bargains to be had in Aruba. (Think: Disneyland prices$$$$$). With two teens in tow, $70 for lunch & $120 for dinner adds up.
Another plus at ABV is the use of snorkel equiptment. That, and the ready access to amazing beaches, absolutely "made" my vacation. I will return to ABV.

• Liked — peace, privacy, awesome view
  • Disliked — a little "basic" & no tub (shower only)
  • Tips/Secrets — rent a car online, save $
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank DeelightfulTraveler
Ware , Herts UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2006

We have just returned from 3 weeks spent at the the Aruba Beach Villas and to be honest I wouldnt have stayed anywhere else on the island. Upon arrival I was disappointed that I had made a booking mistake and had not gone for the ocean front facing villas but we had been placed in room T5 which faces the pool and hot tub and it felt it was totally our own as most residents didnt use this facility - so we missed drinking our rum watching the sun go down but didnt feel this was a big deal. The room was clean / fresh and airy , the only down side with any room with a fridge is that is drones a little at night but after the rum didnt seem to notice!!

The main reason we used this accomodation was for the windsurfing equipment which was managed excellently by Mikaele.

All staff were very welcoming from Marianne on the front desk to the daily cleaners and night time security

I can also confirm that there is no way on earth I could have stayed amoung the rats in the high rise area - far too crowded and you could have been on a crowded beach in Spain instead of a tropical island!! In fact I felt quite pleased that I had a much cheaper and better leaving accomodation than them.

We did use their facilities for meals etc and found the Marriott buffet to be excellent.

• Liked — That it was away from most tourists
  • Disliked — couldnt believe that each morning a crowd logged on to their laptops - thought it was meant to be a holiday
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
12 Thank electrodeware
Arnold (Annapolis), MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2006

We stayed here Oct. 20-28, 2006 for our honeymoon and had a great time. We stayed in E10. When we arrived to our room, we immediately had a guest - a cat ran right on in. We learned the cat was friendly and he/she became our psuedo pet for the week. The Villa requests that you do not let cats into the room but are free to feed them outside on the deck. We were such suckers that we even bought them (we ended up w/two "loyal" companions) "Fancy Feast" at the grocery store (in addition to eggs, chicken, etc that we shared). If you are not a fan of animals, I would assume if you do not feed them, then they will stay away.

The previous postive descriptions of the villas matches the description that I would write, so no need to waste space. However, I will reiterate that there is a kitchen w/full size fridge/freezer. The stovetop is adequate. My new husband cooked me shrimp cappellini with minimal issues (it is a bit of tight quarters when cooking). Another night we asked for a charcoal grill and made fajitas. We had to supply our own charcoal and lighter fluid.

I had a list of suggested places to eat dinner. We only went to one (Flying Fishbone - my meal was fantastic, Husband enjoyed his for most part, but his lobster was a little tough) b/c we had the most perfect sunsets right off our deck.

As the other reviews have suggested, the beach across the street is not really suitable for swimming. Most days we just walked down to Palm beach to swim - About a 1/2 mile away. We were able to "borrow" the Holiday Inn's chairs until their staff realized we were not guests. We ended up renting chairs for $8 by the Pelican something or other Pier. Stop by Bugaloe's for a decent lunch. We also went to Eagle Beach (chairs $5) and Baby Beach (chairs $5). Also, remember to grab snorkel equipment from the villa. This way you will not have to rent it.

I absolutely recommend Aruba Beach Villas and will return. I will also state that this place is not for everyone. I enjoyed that it was quiet and out of the way. Some folks may want the "Resort Life." This place is not about frills. If you are looking for an affordable ($104 a night for studio ocean view, off season), quiet (but still convenient location), and clean place, then you should be happy here. If you are looking for state of the art accomodations w/bells and whistles and pampering in between, then I would not recommend it to you.

Other things...we did rent a car, which made life a lot easier (grocery shopping, site seeing, etc). Grab a drink at Moombas (near Marriott) for a nice atmosphere. If you go to Baby Beach, stop off at Charlie's Bar in San Nicolas for a beer. I don't suggest eating there, though - they claim their food is good and the service is bad. I say they have it backwords - service was very friendly, the food's not so great. Wear sunscreen, even if you are someone who does not burn - trust me you will burn w/out SPF. Enjoy your trip.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
10 Thank skyler1976
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2006

We stayed at the Rennisaince Hotel last year and one thing we did not like was the noisy location of our room. It was situated directly on the main street and the Vespa scooters screamed by all night long till the sun came up. We never had a decent nights sleep the entire time we where there. The Aruba Beach Villa is the last hotel before the California Lighthouse. You probably have zoomed by it on your way there and said "what is that place". Well it is 31 quaint well kept villas that are quiet and private. They are not glamerous or state of the art but clean, quiet and affordable hotel rooms. Our room was quite large it was a studio that had a small kitchentte inside which included a full size fridge/freezer, sink, toaster, coffee maker, range and all the utensils you need. The deck in the front of the unit was large, wooden and private with nice chairs, and patio furniture. It faced the ocean and the sunsets at night were magnificent (see pictures). You had to cross LG Smith Blvd to get to the beach but it is a 5 second walk from your deck. The beach however is not set up for "a day at the beach". You can sun yourself but the ocean floor is full of rocks, shells and not smooth. Don't stay here if you want to walk out of your room and jump in the ocean. You can but it is not any where near the quality of the other hotel beaches. We stayed here because of the quiet low key location and the COST. Our villa had a charcoal grill for our use and we used it on several nights to prepare dinner. The supermarkets are great and the food variety is excellent. Three nights we bought the local fresh jumbo prawns and grilled them. We brought a cooler from home with us and bought all of our booze in the stores. With the dinner on the deck at sunset and the store bought beverages we saved hundreds of dollars. We also got an Aruba Plus card which the hotel discounted 10% off the rate (we basically got a free night stay), rented an Amigo Renatal Car and got 10% off (got a free rental day with the savings) and used it at many restaurants. Saved on average 10% on the restaurant bill. The best thing is the card only cost $10.00 US. We saved hundreds with the card. During the day we went to Baby Beach and rented chairs, cabanas and floats for $30.00 per day. Other days we went to the Raddison and jumed into the many extra lounge chairs they have around the pool and another day we went to the Divi Beach and rented chairs for $10.00 from one of the Jet Ski vendors. Each day we filled our cooler with ice, rum, vodka and mixers as well as sandwiches and snacks. We love Aruba and this location gives you the freedom to do what you want when you want to. Check out the pictures I supplied and you will see what we mean.

• Stayed January 2006
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2006

I stayed at the Aruba beach villa from dec 31 2005 to Jan 7th 2006. Place was clean and staff was great.
Price was very good compared with other beach location. It is only 1 Km north from palm beach and its high rise hotels.
This is great place for windsurfing, much better then in front of the hotel like the Mariotts because those hotels stop the off shore winds. So you better stay away from those hotels. The water is clear and shallow (not always shallow...). The equipment was in good order Plenty of all size and sails model from Gaastra and Fanatic board of all sizes (but ugly red color). Unfortunately the front beach was not up to our expectations... sand with rocks and shells. The ocean floor was also disapointing because hard to walk in (lots of holes, rocks and corals; not much sand). A minor inconvenient; You have to cross the road with your equipement to get to the water and back. But there is not much traffic and often cars stop to let you pass.
They also supply nice free for use snorkeling gears and kayaks for one.

I certainly recommand this place for windsurfers. For nice beaches you better go to Manchebo or Eagle beach.

15 Thank LukeCanada
atlanta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2005

The pool area is a disaster. The decking looks as though they started work and stopped. The pool itself is ok, but is VERY old and some of bottom of pool has eroded. If you have children and want a pool, pay the extra money and go elsewhere. The beach is not calm enough for small ones to swim, however it really is a 30 second walk across the street.

The front desk staff was kind and even allowed up to move to a downstairs unit because of the stairs. It would be worth the money to me to be in a front unit and not the back. The back overlooks a nasty yard. The housekeeping is good.

This could be a fantastic property with a little paint and woek on the pool.

• Stayed October 2005
Paradera Park
Paradera Park
#1 of 1 in Paradera
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,122 reviews
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,521 reviews

Been to Aruba Beach Villas? Share your experiences!