“Windsurfing and landsailing fun!”

Aruba Active Vacations
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Aruba Active Vacations offers: kitesurfing / kiteboarding, windsurfing, mountainbike rental and tours, landsailing and snorkels. We have friendly and professional instructors, to make sure your activity is fun and informative.
Atlanta, Georgia
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Windsurfing and landsailing fun!”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I booked a 2 hour windsurfing lesson with AAV when we arrived in Aruba on Feb.23rd. We looked at a few other companies websites before we left, and chose AAV because of the great reviews and reasonable pricing. You can book with AAV online and get 10% off your lesson. Carlos was our windsurfing instructor and he was terrific in teaching us the basics. There were 8 of us in the class. The windsurfing board and sail are already set up, so unlike some other companies we have taken lessons from, AAV was perfect in having the equipment ready to go and we just learned how to windsurf for a day. My husband and I have no interest in buying our own windsurfing equipment, we just wanted to learn how to stay on the board and windsurf for fun. Other companies can take up your time explaining how the boards are made, making you put it together, explaining in too much detail; when all we want to do is know the basics of how to windsurf and have fun on the water for a day or two. AAV was perfect for that! Carlos explained a few important things on the shore, then put us all in the water to start surfing! And we all were up and windsurfing on our first try! It was so much fun and the winds are perfect in Aruba for learning. We learned the basics of getting on your board in the water, how to bring the sail up to you, how to hold it, change sides, turn, and dismount. He told us the next lesson would be on how to come back to shore, and this was after I unsuccessfully tried to do the square he asked us to try; that was because the second lesson shows you how to tack back to shore. If you sign up for the three hour lesson/three hour practice package, it seems like they divide that into three days (2 hours each day of one hour instruction one hour practice); so if you have three days, that would be worth it. We did not, so the 2 hour lesson was perfect. You are pretty tired after 2 hours in the wind and climbing on your board each time you fall.
We also signed up to landsail for a bit. Marcel and Arramko (not sure if that is how you spell his name) set up the landsails in no time and we had such a wonderful fun time playing around with those up by the lighthouse. You follow their truck with the equipment to the "track" and they show you the basics, then once you do it yourself you can get the feel of the wind and sail, turning and slowing down tricks, and it is fun fun fun! I was nervous about falling over, but the cars are built so well, you only spin out if anything. No scrapes or bruises. A fun 2 hours. They provide helmuts and water. I did it in flip-flops even. AAV was a good bunch of folks, who were trustworthy, relaxed, and good at instructing. I will use them again when we go back. A great company.

2 Thank ume03

London, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“bike rentals, no problem”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This company provides prompt, courteous, worry free service. We wandered by the beach, inquired about bike rentals and there were no bikes available at that site. The young man in charge provided us with lawn chairs, sat us on the beach, jumped in his truck and came back in 15 minutes with two right sized, new, high quality Marin mountain bikes which took us all over the area without any issues. On the road in Aruba we were delighted to find drivers respectful, leaving us a safe distance when they passed. The rental included helmets and a sturdy lock.

Edmonton, Canada
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“First time Landsailing”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We had a very positive experience with AAV. They picked us up on time at our hotel and took us to the land sailing location. There was some delay while they assembled the karts but then we were able to spend the rest of the time sailing. There was minimal instruction but the concept is quite simple and the instructor was available any time was had an issue or question. The guys we dealt with were all polite if not particularly enthusiastic. They seemed to be earning a paycheck rather than sharing their love and passion for land sailing but it didn't detract from the experience. We are even considering buying our own karts if we can find a suitable place to use them near our home!

Milford, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome group of people!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I first went to Aruba Active Vacations January 2012 for kite surfing lessons and just came back from another week of lessons there. The Owner and instructors are great friendly people, I had several different instructors and they were all good and friendly. Once you are on the board they follow you with one of their boats to give you instructions and bring you back to shore if needed.
The equipment is good and the wind is always there so i had a great time. Will go back next year.

2 Thank RobertFusa
Hartford, Connecticut
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Ryan from Aruba Active Vacations saved me!”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We rented bikes for a full week from a competitor (Eagle beach bike rentals.) Big mistake, the second morning my back tire burst though we had not ridden anywhere but flat roads with the bikes. The following day we rode out again. When we were almost to the complete opposite side of the island, the front tire on my bike burst. Knowing that the rocky side of the island didn't have many businesses, we started back toward the resorts in search of a phone. After an hour or more of walking we came by a house where a man asked me if he could help me. I explained that my tire was burst and I was searching for a phone to call the bike rental place. Instead of sending me packing, he opened his garage, which was full of nice looking well maintained bikes and he fixed my tire in about 3 minutes. He did not ask for payment and when we offered to purchase something for his kindness he just said for us to have a nice day. I asked him his name, and what the business was called. He gave us the business card for Aruba Active Vacations. I love to see a business that has folks who care. We will not only rent our bikes there when we return next year. I have already told all of my friends the story so they know where to go when they get to Aruba! Thanks Ryan!

Visited December 2012