“Felt unwelcome by weird owners”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moira
Ballycanal Self Catering
Ranked #2 of 3 Moira B&B and Inns
SLC, UT
“Felt unwelcome by weird owners”
Reviewed January 31, 2011

Ballycanal Manor is not a place I'd recommend. I can't really point at one thing that makes this place one I'd suggest you avoid, but all of the annoyances combined serve to create a feeling of unwelcome that is disconcerting and in my experience, unheard of in European self-catering establishments.

We were met at the house by a man who seemed horribly put out that we had dared come on the day and time for which our reservation was made. It took him some time to locate keys and nearly 20 minutes for him to rouse himself enough to open the door of the place and let us in. I figured he had a case of holiday-itis and blew it off, but as it turned out, he is just "like that". All the time. :-(

Ballycanal Manor is located in an extremely convenient location off of the main roads. We found it very easy to drive to. The train station is adjacent to the property. Even though we were the farthest unit from the station, we did hear trains running all night and day long though it wasn't particularly annoying. There's plenty of parking. The location is not pretty at all, but we weren't there for the view.

Our unit was the end unit. It has 3 bedrooms (1 single, 2 triples, and a sofa bed--2 upstairs, the single is down) along with 3 full bathrooms and a tiny kitchen. Though the unit will sleep up to 9 people, the table seats just 3. The living room was large, though, and had enough furniture for our group of 8 to visit together as long as some sat at the dining table.

The first thing we wanted to do when we arrived was clean up, but this proved impossible, as the mismatched towels in the unit were dirty. I bring up the towels because they made us laugh -- they are like the see-through avocado green towels at your mother-in-laws house, mixed in with a few dishtowels. Very odd. The linens on the beds were cheap. Not a deal breaker, just scratchy. The beds were uncomfortable 2 star tourist mattresses. The televisions operated on an aerial antenna. The tvs may have been color, but it was impossible to tell. None of the 4 channels came in well enough to be sure.

The kitchen was filled with foodstuffs of uncertain age left by previous visitors. Normally I appreciate this but the food looked so old, I was actually afraid to touch it. The owners don't stock fresh food themselves -- not even milk.

The self-catering units require charge cards for electricity. I've stayed at several self-catering locations in the UK and Ireland, and though I've heard of it, we have never experienced it before. There is no mention of the pay electricity on the website, and the owner didn't mention it either. Thankfully my DH noticed it before we used up the change that was left on the card in the unit.

The unit does have a washing machine and dryer (stored in the downstairs bath); however, there is not actually an outlet in the bathroom, and the dryer must be moved to the living room to operate.

We visited the location in the winter, and strangely the *upstairs* was unbelievably cold, while the downstairs stayed uncomfortably warm. We finally figured out why on our second day: the street side entrance has a 2-story wall-to-ceiling glass enclosure that is EXTREMELY drafty. Even though Ireland has mild summers, I bet that enclosure makes for uncomfortably hot summers, too.

As for the nearby village of Moira, you should know Moira is the kind of village that one drives through. And based on the traffic we saw, folks drive asfastastheycan to get out of Moira to better places. Even the female owner when describing it told us quote: "it's not a *bad* village." The chippie shop in Moira is very good, but avoid the pizza place. It is honestly the worst pizza I have ever eaten, and I grew up eating pizza served by the Mississippi public education system. The grocery store (back off the street) is well supplied. The Tannery restaurant nearby is EXCELLENT.

For a family running both a B&B and self-catering apartments, the owners are surprisingly socially inept. The man made us all feel unwelcome from the first moment we arrived, as I described. When the female owner arrived home around 6pm, she came by to introduce herself and apologized for not being home when we arrived while at the same time trying to snub me by saying she had tried to contact us 2 days before to confirm our arrival. Hrm? I had made reservations 3 months in advance. The facility does not require a deposit. They never attempted to make any contact with me during that time, and then tried to suggest I had terribly inconvenienced them by showing up at exactly the time specified my reservation. Okay, whatever.

At that time we asked to buy a card for electricity. This turned out to be a horrible problem for them as well. We gave the owner 5 GBP for one, and she left to get it for us. After waiting for 2 hours for the lady to "come right back" with our card, my DH finally walked to the house at 9 PM at pick it up.

As for the male owner, his behavior was downright rude. During the last night of our stay, I guess he finally decided he ought to come get some money, lest these crazy Americans run away without paying. *sigh* So, at 8:30pm he invited himself into our apartment. I kid you not. 5 of us were out of the apartment, 2 were in bed, and the other in the shower, when he unlocked the door and let himself in. My brother, who was in the downstairs shower, asked him to wait a minute while he dressed. Owner-man asked for his money, which I already had counted out and laid on the dresser in my upstairs room in an envelope. My brother gave the envelope to the man. Then owner man gets all aggressive with my brother and says that the money isn't all there. So, I got out of bed, dressed, grabbed my emailed reservation confirmation, and came downstairs. Owner-man, upon seeing that I had my reservation in my hand, finally relented and admitted we had given him enough money, but not until he counted the cash THREE MORE TIMES right there in front of us. After trying to get another 5 quid out of us for the power card (that we had already paid for), he finally let himself out, leaving my brother in his towel and me mostly-dressed in a stunned silence.

You know, none of the things I'm describing are deal breakers. They're annoyances, really. I've stayed in much worse places with many of the same problems, but I've never stayed at any place where EVERY little thing that could be wrong, was wrong. The annoyances of the facility itself when coupled with the odd behavior of the owners combined to make us feel uncomfortable and unwelcome.

Sorry, but we can not recommend the Ballycanal self-catering.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank ynnej
InsightDevon, Manager at Ballycanal Self Catering, responded to this review, March 19, 2011
Dear Guest,
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience staying with us. Unfortunately the booking was during one of the coldest periods in Northern Irelands history when most of Northern Ireland came to a standstill, with many households experiencing burst water pipes and water shortages. Extra efforts were made to ensure this did not happen during this visit and the cottage was in good working order.
The booking was handled by a newly employed member of staff who was brought in to cover maternity leave. She was new to the area and this would be the reason for this guest receiving any misleading information.
Moira is an award winning Georgian village with much history and a superb selection of cafes, eating establishments and shops and visitors frequently comment on the beauty of the village. Ballycanal Manor Guest House and Self Catering Cottages are located in a convenient location just off junction 9, twenty minutes from Belfast International airport and next to Moira railway station however in eight years of being in business there has never been any reference made to noise from the railway line as the trains do not operate late at night.
The cottages border an equestrian farm and the Lagan towpath which has very picturesque walks leading to the Broadwater lake however it may have been difficult to spot or explore these scenic walks in such cold weather.
The cottage booked was a category one disabled cottage with downstairs walk in shower and disabled facilities and sleeps a maximum of seven people which is cleary displayed on our website. It has been awarded three stars from the Northern Ireland Tourist Board. When the booking was made the member of staff was told it was for 7 persons, but eight stayed. I am sorry it was not suggested to book one of our larger four star cottages which would have been very suitable for a party of that number.
A deposit is required at the time of booking and this can be viewed on the booking form on our website. The local shop is a five minute walk and for this reason we do not sell foodstuffs however if a request had been made for fresh milk we would have been happy to oblige. Tea, coffee and sugar is always provided.
There is no mention in the review that the guest received an unlimited amount of gas supply which was included in their rate, as is our policy. The rate they received was £80 per night for the cottage which represented £10 per person. We do charge for electricity however one £5 electricity card usually lasts 2-3 days and in this customers case lasted for the duration of their three night stay.
Cotton linen is provided for all beds and the colour coding of teatowels has been addressed. If any of these issues had been raised at the time we would happily have addressed them.
We have been operating as a family business for eight years and never received a comment regarding rudeness as many of our guests will testify. We offer an excellent level of hospitality and aim to make all our guests feel welcome and this is clearly evident from reviews we receive. Once again It is a shame that this particular guest did not air any complaints during her stay as we would have promptly addressed them. In any event thank you for your comments and we hope you will consider visiting this region again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We booked a room for 4 nights to visit family.

We had a spacious room which was ideal for our needs (I don't sleep well at night so I was able to go into the adjoining alcove and read without disturbing my Fiance)

Flexibility was the order of the day ranging from breakfast timings to dietary needs and the staff were very helpful, friendly and attentive to all our needs.

Also provided is a sitting room with internet access and the location allows easy access to the airport, Belfast and the superb scenery of the Mourne Mountains.

About 1/4 mile is the Tannery restaurant which we thoroughly recomend and the picturesque village of Moira about 1 mile away is worth a visit (try the Ivory restaurant)

All in all, Ciara and Theresa run a good place-give it a try-we're certainly planning to return next year!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank paddyburton
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Stayed for a couple of nights on a short racing holiday. We chose this place basically because there was a link to it from the Down Royal Racecourse website. it is only a 5 minute drive from one to the other. It is also very handy for the M1 motorway and the International Airport.
Our rooms were very clean and had everything you could need in a B & B, the bathrooms were compact but were very clean and towels were changed every day. The service was friendly and attentive.
The breakfasts were plentiful and of good quality and presentation.
For an evening meal we walked into Moira Town Centre and were told it was a 10 minute walk but in reality it is a brisk 15/20 minute walk although quicker coming back as it is downhill.
We will be beack when next in the area.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank The Fat Punter
poole, dorset
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Stayed 2 nights in the self-catering townhouse, and was pleasantly surprised to discover a really good homely, modern, and quality accommodation for our purpose. No internet availability as advertised on its website. Ample parking spaces. Nearby train station as well. Picturesque views.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank westrayhall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moira
Newforge House
#1 of 1 in Upper Ballinderry
Moira Guest House
Moira Guest House
#1 of 3 in Moira

Been to Ballycanal Self Catering? Share your experiences!