“Nice setting, great rooms”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moira
Ballycanal Self Catering
Ranked #2 of 3 Moira B&B and Inns
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Nice setting, great rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

We stayed in the guest house, not the self-catering apartments which are about 200 yards away. You can see a main road from some of the rooms (in the guest house, the apartments are further away) but the traffic noise is not a problem. Rooms are all different and most are very spacious. Slept well in good bed. We had the full breakfast which was fairly substantial. I was there on business, so wifi that was accessible throughout the house was a plus, although speeds did slow down a bit when several people were using it.

At the back of the property there is an old canal and it is possible to walk along it for a considerable distance. For evening meals, a very good restaurant - The Tannery - is 5-10 minutes walk away. There are others in the town, a little bit further away.

Owners/staff were not around as much as I expected, but we had a number to call if there were any queries.

The location is a great combination of factors - countryside towards the back, easy walking distance to a railway station, a minute from the motorway by car, and 15-20 mins from Belfast International airport.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank All24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here over the weekend. Had such a great time and loved every minute of the trip.

The cottages were brilliant for two people sharing, but can accommodate up to 8 apparently. We had so much room to ourselves! Everything was clean and tidy inside. The homely touch of a fire to use if you wanted was great as well. Large satellite TV for when you want to chill out in front of the fire.

We went to the Down Royal races on the Saturday. Only a short drive from the cottages. We visited the local Tannery restaurant, which is so close to the cottages you cannot complain! Its a 2 minute walk away! Also, Moira train station is right behind the cottages, a minutes walk, meaning Belfast is just a quick 20 minute journey away.

The service was fantastic in my opinion. All staff were helpful and friendly, but didn't invade our space. They told us to let them know if we needed anything at all.

These cottages are the perfect base camp for a weekend break, or a holiday. I really enjoyed my stay here and I will definitely be back soon!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hugh234
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Very helpful staff and beautiful setting. Attended a wedding nearby and stayed at the cottage with a small group of friends. Clean linen and good showers - two en suite rooms suited us. Also good provisions in the kitchen/dining area. Very spacious. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mexic07
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I would highly recommend the Ballycanal Self-Catering Cottages for anyone traveling through this area. I recently spent two weeks visiting with a friend in the Swan Cottage and was impressed by the cleanliness, location and friendliness of the staff. Christina was above and beyond helpful when I was making the reservation and also when it came to helping us take a side trip to Scotland. She made phone calls and printed out schedules without hesitation. Genevieve was also extremely friendly and helpful and both were interested in making sure everything was going well on our end.

The cottage was bright, comfortable and the perfect location for our needs. Walking into Moira was an easy and enjoyable experience. The train station was just a quick walk away and made getting around so easy. Also, having an outdoor area to sit and chat during nice weather was a bonus.

I was also able to invite my friend's family over for dinner one evening so having cooking facilities was much nicer than meeting them at a restaurant because it made for more relaxed conversation. They were also impressed with the cottage and will happily recommend it to anyone they know who is traveling in the area.

Again, we can't thank you enough for your hospitality and concern that we were having a nice, relaxing holiday. Hope to see you again soon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Katherine D
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Breakfast skimpy and overcooked.
Room servicing not consistent.
For the money, shampoo and a biscuit is not too much to ask.
All surfaces are sticky- too much chemical cleaner I think.
Not value for money or very satisfactory.
I will not be back.

• Stayed July 2013
7 Thank Sapper534
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I booked a cottage for a wedding stay for single occupancy (couple) recently. We got a single occupancy rate. When it turned out a relative had nowhere to stay, we sought to get full occupancy of the cottage. Upon enquiring I was told it would be an additional £50 per night. This brought it to £25 per night over the cost for the cottage per night that I was originally quoted. When I challenged this I was told that the cottage was charged by occupancy, which isn't what I was told upon enquiring about the cottage originally. Only when I said we'd be leaving was I offered the cottage rate instead of occupancy rate.

Nowhere are prices stated on their website. It seems they make it up as they go along.

The cottage was also littered with signs that told you how they wanted the cottage managed to the point that there was a sign telling you not to use larger pots on the front of the hob. Very odd. It was also cheaply furnished which isn't consistent with the rate of £110 per night and I had a dressing table mirror in my bedroom held together with blu tack that I couldn't use for risk of it falling apart.

Annoyingly there is also an electricity deposit for the card and electricity is charged. The setup seems to be done as cheaply as possible to the point that it impacts on the enjoyment of the place. This, coupled with the charging experience, and silly signage, made me wonder if we aren't one big inconvenience rather than guests. We even had to buy bin bags to throw garbage away and we ran out of toilet paper after one night when we'd booked for 4 nights. And one bedroom had not even a bar of soap in the bathroom.

We have stayed all over the UK in self catering apartments and there is usually some form of welcome: a pint of milk, a small bottle of wine, a bit of something. Instead there seemed to be leftover groceries from previous occupants.

The lack of welcome, basic items, and haggling over money made this a sad experience. I was so looking forward to getting away.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank JaxFrost
Orlando, Florida
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,487 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed at the Ballycanal Manor on a friend's recommendation. We arrived at the B&B at 5 pm and the place looked deserted! Nobody was there to greet us and a note was left on the door with the keys under the mat. Not your typical B&B where the owners either live in the house or have someone greeting guest arriving at "normal" hours. I totally understand if we arrived before 6 am or after 10pm, but 5pm in the afternoon? We then proceeded to our rooms (2 couples) to change, shower and go out to dinner. The owners then showed up (around 630ish) and were nice enough to guide us to where we had reservation for dinner later that evening. Very nice younger couple with a couple of young kids.

On our return to the B&B (around 11pm) later that evening, we proceeded to the living room, had some drinks and watched a movie. Again, the place was deserted and felt a little creepy. And I say that because as we were enjoying the movie (around midnight), some man banged at the window real hard and totally scared the living hell out of the four of us. I then opened the front door and 5 people that were part of a wedding party walked in telling us that they were staying here and lost their keys!??? They tried to reach the owners (in vain since it was past midnight) and waited in the living room with us. We then felt "intruded" on as they were all real drunk from their evening and proceeded back to our rooms. We could barely get any sleep that night as all of them were just very loud and obnoxious. It is obviously not the owner's fault that they lost their keys and that those people had no manners, but nonetheless, you expect to be able to have a good night of sleep when you pay over $110/night for a B&B.

The next day, after a very good breakfast, the owners were in a hurry to head to church and were rushing us with the payment (around 10am, even though check out was at noon) even though they said; no rush! But it felt like that song; You don't have to go, but you cant stay here...kind of deal! We then paid our dues and left with a very sour taste in our mouth after spending a wonderful time in the south of Ireland, where the hospitality was at a different level!

So in recap, the rooms themselves were nice, the breakfast was very good and the owners were nice, but it just felt like they had no idea on how to run a B&B!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Steve R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moira
Down Royal House
#1 of 3 in Moira
Lismaine Cottage
Lismaine Cottage
#1 of 1 in Magheralin

Been to Ballycanal Self Catering? Share your experiences!