“OK, but could be better with more effort.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moira
Ballycanal Self Catering
Ranked #2 of 3 Moira B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Stayed 2 nights in the Guest House and to be honest that was enough. It is OK but far from as luxurious as I had expected from their website.One of the curtains was hanging off the wall, the heating only seemed to come on for about 10 minutes twice a day at inappropriate times and the bath and shower gels were in dispensers - very tacky.

On the plus side the staff were nice and the breakfast wasn't too bad,there was a good well functioning shower and it was quiet in spite of being not far from a busy motorway.

The proximity to the railway station was great (Bangor-Portadown line with subsequent connections to Newry and Dublin).

Unfortunately if you don't have a car it is a good mile's walk into Moira village (worth visiting once!)There is a nice gift shop and bakery and a couple of interesting 'boutiques' but the fish and chips I had from the 'traditional' fish and chip takeaway were rather tasteless.There is also a Boots, a SuperValu and a Centra supermarket.

The Cottages, though a bit expensive, are better - large, bright, backing onto the river/canal where you can go for walks.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Kabiven
ballycanalmanor, Manager at Ballycanal Self Catering, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear Guest
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review we appreciate all comments from our guests.

I was however disappointed to hear you did not fully enjoy your stay with us in the guesthouse. It is unfortunate you did not bring any of your concerns to my attention whilst you were staying with us. If I was made aware of the above problems I would have happily resolved them there and then for you.

The timings of the heating can be adjusted quickly and very easily. I have in the past adjusted heat settings to suit individual preferences of guests.

Upon check-out of your room we noticed that a single curtain hook had broken which caused the tail end of the right hand side curtain to hang loose. The curtain was not like this upon check-in and it was fixed the day you checked out. I apologise that this was not spotted sooner, again had we known this had happened we would have immediately fixed it.

Moira village is an award winning village which is very popular as a day trip destination for residents throughout Northern Ireland. We have always found tourists very much enjoy the village especially during the summer when the flowers are in full bloom...the coffee shops are also a favourite with many visitors!

Our self catering cottages on average cost as little as £17 per person per night this includes heating and 20% vat. Previous guests of the cottages have both commented and reviewed our self catering cottages as 'excellent' value for money.

We greatly appreciate your positive comments regarding the quality of service you received and indeed the quality of breakfasts. All the team at Ballycanal work very hard to make our guests experience as enjoyable as possible and it really pleases us to hear all our hard work pays off. Many thanks for your custom.

There are newer reviews for Ballycanal Self Catering

Reviewed September 11, 2011

I recently cycled from Glasgow to Co.Leitrim in Southern Ireland and stayed over at the Ballycanal Guest House for one night on route. It has a really homely atmosphere and the staff could not be more friendly and helpful. The room was well appointed and spotlessly clean. After a hard day on the saddle, the superb bed in particular helped me to unwind and prepare me for the next leg of my journey. Similarly, the quality of the hearty full Irish Breakfast was excellent. Moira Village is only 10 mins walk away along a safe pavemented road, and is well worth taking a wander up to. The House itself is situated in fine countyside with lovely views and walks along the canal. Undoubtably, I will be back and would recomend it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank BJS72
ballycanalmanor, Manager at Ballycanal Self Catering, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2011

Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate all comments from our guests and it greatly pleases me and my team to hear a guest has thoroughly enjoyed their stay and is happy to recommend us.

Hopefully we will see you again in the not too distant future and many thanks for your business.

Christina

Reviewed August 26, 2011

We chose Ballycanal because it was close to Edenmore Golf & Country Club where my cousin was having her wedding. We booked in for 3 days/2 nights in the self-catering cottage & my brother & his daughter were booked into the B & B. We received very friendly welcome by Theresa's sister & were given our key to the cottage (we had turned up early & the cottage was ready...excellent). The cottage was very spacious & lovely & clean, we were totally made up with it. Having 2 young boys with us, we were made up there was plenty of space outside for them to play.
Location was fab: just off the motorway & easy to find. Its only a short distance into Belfast, although some of our family live in Lisburn, which is a thriving city with plenty of shops, cafes & pubs too & is only a 20 minute drive (another reason we chose Ballycanal). Moira train station is close by (and no we didn't hear any noise) but we hired a car so didn't need to use it. Moira itself has a pub.... The 4 trees (oldy worldy) & an excellent Italian called the Ivory, which is not too expensive. Food was fabulous & service was excellent. We were going to try the Tannery, but couldn't fit it in, due to lack of time. Friday night we tried The Bauhinia Palace (behind the petrol station at the top of the hill) chinese (take-away) again excellent. All in all thoroughly enjoyed our stay & would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank mazy1216

Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate all comments from our guests .

I am delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay at our self catering cottages. I was also happy to hear you took advantage of our location and were able to enjoy the restaurants in the village. It's also nice to hear you got an opportunity to visit Lisburn and Belfast . I would be delighted to welcome you and your family back to Ballycanal in the future. Thanks again for your business and for recommending us.

Hopefully we will see you soon.

Many thanks for your business.

Christina

Reviewed June 22, 2011

Spent a week in the self catering cottages and had an enjoyable relaxing break with the family. The hosts were very welcoming and looked after our every need from start to finish. Spacious rooms that easily accommodated our family of six. Beds were very comfortable and the cottage was very clean. Great location beside Moira train station, we were able to get the train for a day trip to Belfast. Moira village nearby about 15 minute walk. Would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank torontotraveller91
Reviewed January 31, 2011

Ballycanal Manor is not a place I'd recommend. I can't really point at one thing that makes this place one I'd suggest you avoid, but all of the annoyances combined serve to create a feeling of unwelcome that is disconcerting and in my experience, unheard of in European self-catering establishments.

We were met at the house by a man who seemed horribly put out that we had dared come on the day and time for which our reservation was made. It took him some time to locate keys and nearly 20 minutes for him to rouse himself enough to open the door of the place and let us in. I figured he had a case of holiday-itis and blew it off, but as it turned out, he is just "like that". All the time. :-(

Ballycanal Manor is located in an extremely convenient location off of the main roads. We found it very easy to drive to. The train station is adjacent to the property. Even though we were the farthest unit from the station, we did hear trains running all night and day long though it wasn't particularly annoying. There's plenty of parking. The location is not pretty at all, but we weren't there for the view.

Our unit was the end unit. It has 3 bedrooms (1 single, 2 triples, and a sofa bed--2 upstairs, the single is down) along with 3 full bathrooms and a tiny kitchen. Though the unit will sleep up to 9 people, the table seats just 3. The living room was large, though, and had enough furniture for our group of 8 to visit together as long as some sat at the dining table.

The first thing we wanted to do when we arrived was clean up, but this proved impossible, as the mismatched towels in the unit were dirty. I bring up the towels because they made us laugh -- they are like the see-through avocado green towels at your mother-in-laws house, mixed in with a few dishtowels. Very odd. The linens on the beds were cheap. Not a deal breaker, just scratchy. The beds were uncomfortable 2 star tourist mattresses. The televisions operated on an aerial antenna. The tvs may have been color, but it was impossible to tell. None of the 4 channels came in well enough to be sure.

The kitchen was filled with foodstuffs of uncertain age left by previous visitors. Normally I appreciate this but the food looked so old, I was actually afraid to touch it. The owners don't stock fresh food themselves -- not even milk.

The self-catering units require charge cards for electricity. I've stayed at several self-catering locations in the UK and Ireland, and though I've heard of it, we have never experienced it before. There is no mention of the pay electricity on the website, and the owner didn't mention it either. Thankfully my DH noticed it before we used up the change that was left on the card in the unit.

The unit does have a washing machine and dryer (stored in the downstairs bath); however, there is not actually an outlet in the bathroom, and the dryer must be moved to the living room to operate.

We visited the location in the winter, and strangely the *upstairs* was unbelievably cold, while the downstairs stayed uncomfortably warm. We finally figured out why on our second day: the street side entrance has a 2-story wall-to-ceiling glass enclosure that is EXTREMELY drafty. Even though Ireland has mild summers, I bet that enclosure makes for uncomfortably hot summers, too.

As for the nearby village of Moira, you should know Moira is the kind of village that one drives through. And based on the traffic we saw, folks drive asfastastheycan to get out of Moira to better places. Even the female owner when describing it told us quote: "it's not a *bad* village." The chippie shop in Moira is very good, but avoid the pizza place. It is honestly the worst pizza I have ever eaten, and I grew up eating pizza served by the Mississippi public education system. The grocery store (back off the street) is well supplied. The Tannery restaurant nearby is EXCELLENT.

For a family running both a B&B and self-catering apartments, the owners are surprisingly socially inept. The man made us all feel unwelcome from the first moment we arrived, as I described. When the female owner arrived home around 6pm, she came by to introduce herself and apologized for not being home when we arrived while at the same time trying to snub me by saying she had tried to contact us 2 days before to confirm our arrival. Hrm? I had made reservations 3 months in advance. The facility does not require a deposit. They never attempted to make any contact with me during that time, and then tried to suggest I had terribly inconvenienced them by showing up at exactly the time specified my reservation. Okay, whatever.

At that time we asked to buy a card for electricity. This turned out to be a horrible problem for them as well. We gave the owner 5 GBP for one, and she left to get it for us. After waiting for 2 hours for the lady to "come right back" with our card, my DH finally walked to the house at 9 PM at pick it up.

As for the male owner, his behavior was downright rude. During the last night of our stay, I guess he finally decided he ought to come get some money, lest these crazy Americans run away without paying. *sigh* So, at 8:30pm he invited himself into our apartment. I kid you not. 5 of us were out of the apartment, 2 were in bed, and the other in the shower, when he unlocked the door and let himself in. My brother, who was in the downstairs shower, asked him to wait a minute while he dressed. Owner-man asked for his money, which I already had counted out and laid on the dresser in my upstairs room in an envelope. My brother gave the envelope to the man. Then owner man gets all aggressive with my brother and says that the money isn't all there. So, I got out of bed, dressed, grabbed my emailed reservation confirmation, and came downstairs. Owner-man, upon seeing that I had my reservation in my hand, finally relented and admitted we had given him enough money, but not until he counted the cash THREE MORE TIMES right there in front of us. After trying to get another 5 quid out of us for the power card (that we had already paid for), he finally let himself out, leaving my brother in his towel and me mostly-dressed in a stunned silence.

You know, none of the things I'm describing are deal breakers. They're annoyances, really. I've stayed in much worse places with many of the same problems, but I've never stayed at any place where EVERY little thing that could be wrong, was wrong. The annoyances of the facility itself when coupled with the odd behavior of the owners combined to make us feel uncomfortable and unwelcome.

Sorry, but we can not recommend the Ballycanal self-catering.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank ynnej
InsightDevon, Manager at Ballycanal Self Catering, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2011

Dear Guest,
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience staying with us. Unfortunately the booking was during one of the coldest periods in Northern Irelands history when most of Northern Ireland came to a standstill, with many households experiencing burst water pipes and water shortages. Extra efforts were made to ensure this did not happen during this visit and the cottage was in good working order.
The booking was handled by a newly employed member of staff who was brought in to cover maternity leave. She was new to the area and this would be the reason for this guest receiving any misleading information.
Moira is an award winning Georgian village with much history and a superb selection of cafes, eating establishments and shops and visitors frequently comment on the beauty of the village. Ballycanal Manor Guest House and Self Catering Cottages are located in a convenient location just off junction 9, twenty minutes from Belfast International airport and next to Moira railway station however in eight years of being in business there has never been any reference made to noise from the railway line as the trains do not operate late at night.
The cottages border an equestrian farm and the Lagan towpath which has very picturesque walks leading to the Broadwater lake however it may have been difficult to spot or explore these scenic walks in such cold weather.
The cottage booked was a category one disabled cottage with downstairs walk in shower and disabled facilities and sleeps a maximum of seven people which is cleary displayed on our website. It has been awarded three stars from the Northern Ireland Tourist Board. When the booking was made the member of staff was told it was for 7 persons, but eight stayed. I am sorry it was not suggested to book one of our larger four star cottages which would have been very suitable for a party of that number.
A deposit is required at the time of booking and this can be viewed on the booking form on our website. The local shop is a five minute walk and for this reason we do not sell foodstuffs however if a request had been made for fresh milk we would have been happy to oblige. Tea, coffee and sugar is always provided.
There is no mention in the review that the guest received an unlimited amount of gas supply which was included in their rate, as is our policy. The rate they received was £80 per night for the cottage which represented £10 per person. We do charge for electricity however one £5 electricity card usually lasts 2-3 days and in this customers case lasted for the duration of their three night stay.
Cotton linen is provided for all beds and the colour coding of teatowels has been addressed. If any of these issues had been raised at the time we would happily have addressed them.
We have been operating as a family business for eight years and never received a comment regarding rudeness as many of our guests will testify. We offer an excellent level of hospitality and aim to make all our guests feel welcome and this is clearly evident from reviews we receive. Once again It is a shame that this particular guest did not air any complaints during her stay as we would have promptly addressed them. In any event thank you for your comments and we hope you will consider visiting this region again soon.

Reviewed September 5, 2010

We booked a room for 4 nights to visit family.

We had a spacious room which was ideal for our needs (I don't sleep well at night so I was able to go into the adjoining alcove and read without disturbing my Fiance)

Flexibility was the order of the day ranging from breakfast timings to dietary needs and the staff were very helpful, friendly and attentive to all our needs.

Also provided is a sitting room with internet access and the location allows easy access to the airport, Belfast and the superb scenery of the Mourne Mountains.

About 1/4 mile is the Tannery restaurant which we thoroughly recomend and the picturesque village of Moira about 1 mile away is worth a visit (try the Ivory restaurant)

All in all, Ciara and Theresa run a good place-give it a try-we're certainly planning to return next year!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank paddyburton
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Stayed for a couple of nights on a short racing holiday. We chose this place basically because there was a link to it from the Down Royal Racecourse website. it is only a 5 minute drive from one to the other. It is also very handy for the M1 motorway and the International Airport.
Our rooms were very clean and had everything you could need in a B & B, the bathrooms were compact but were very clean and towels were changed every day. The service was friendly and attentive.
The breakfasts were plentiful and of good quality and presentation.
For an evening meal we walked into Moira Town Centre and were told it was a 10 minute walk but in reality it is a brisk 15/20 minute walk although quicker coming back as it is downhill.
We will be beack when next in the area.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank The Fat Punter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moira
Newforge House
No photo provided
Flatfield House
#2 of 2 in Moira
The Vandees Boutique B & B

Been to Ballycanal Self Catering? Share your experiences!