“Good pain”
Review of Royal Beach Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dhading
Royal Beach Camp
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I first heard about RBC when I picked up a leaflet in Kathmandu. After 3 weeks in the mountains, walking every day, I decided that I needed to keep my fitness level up in some way and therefore decided to book an intensive 4 day kayak course.

I went with 3 others and it was very easy to organise. We called Ram from Pokhara and the next day we were on the river.

It was a beautiful location - we camped, ate and relaxed by the river. On many occasions, mostly while paddling, I had moments of 'I'm in Nepal' and need to cherish every moment.

The staff were wonderful - very friendly, professional, caring and relaxed. We spent most of our time with Pradeep and Himal and they are amazing instructors. They were very patient and kind with me - as I wasn't very quick at learning and always reminded me that it was about having fun. Our safety was of utmost importance to them and we trusted them completely.

I personally learnt a lot on this course and was exhausted by the end of the day - exhaustion that I hadn't experienced in a long time! It was a great feeling.

We also decided to go canyoning, so that we had a wee rest from kayaking. We were impressed as to how easy our 4 days, could in a way, be tailor made. Although, this does come with very qualified staff! For us, the canyoning was a litte bit too tame and we were after a more adrenaline pumping experience. This is of course personal and I think that it would have been perfect for those who hadn't done canyoning before.

We had plenty of food as we needed to keep our energy levels up. The breakfasts were great but lunches and dinners could be more nutritionally balanced. I believe they are working on this though.

Overall, this was an excellent course with beautiful people. I would and will definitely go again. Enjoy!

Room Tip: We slept in a tent on mattresses - this for us was fine. Sleeping in a tent is sleeping in a tent.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Erin C

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Unfortunately I only had a day at the Royal Beach Camp, and wished I had a few more. I went canyoneering with Pradeep (?) after being dropped off there by Himalayan River Fun that did our rafting the day before. How I wish I had done the rafting through Royal Beach Camp! Not only were the grounds and accomodations gorgeous, but safety was their primary concern, and it was obvious the staff was trained and knowledgable. By far the most well run and professional place we encountered in our entire trip to Nepal. And the one meal we had was delicious!

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Did the 4 day kayak course.
Leant loads!
Pradeep (guide) was a legend, and Ram (dude who owns the place) really knows his stuff.
The other staff are really cool too.

Only downside was that the food was a bit average, as when we were there there wasnt any choice of menu so some of the meals didnt appeal to different people, but think they are going to be introducing choice in the next couple months.

Would also recommend wearing some nose plugs, so you dont swallow half the river when learning kayak rolls.

Overall, had an absolute blast, and they structured the trip well for our rate of learning.
(ie split the group on the last day so more confident people could hit the bigger white water down river and less so to improve on the tech stuff up river) This was cool and made it an awesome last day on the river.

Def recommend.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank H B
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I spent 3 days at Royal Beach Camp with a group of friends. We'd booked the trip through a great guy in Kathmandu. Royal Beach Camp is ran by a great family that made us feel welcomed and well taken care of. Ram, the owner/operator made sure he checked in with us every day if he wasn't on the water with us to check in and see how we were doing. The river is in a great location, warm water is ideal for white water rafting and even when the rapids weren't that big we enjoyed the lush forest hills, watching for wildlife and even got to stop and watch local families panning for gold. After two days of white water rafting we did 1 morning of canyoning (repeling down a waterfall). The guides were friendly, funny and I always felt safe. We slept on the beach in tents without mats so our sleep quality was not good but I do know that they had more substantial huts available. Meals were good and I loved the experience of eating as a group in the large main hut and meeting new people at the fire on the beach. You will not regret booking with Royal Beach Camp, sleeping on the ground will take a few days to recover from but the experience and value is so great, can't be missed!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 19, 2012

On the water the guides were great, they made us feel safe, and we had a great time learning to white water kayak. However we got food poisoning on numerous occasions from the cooking (which we would have to wait for hours to get). The worst was on a Seti river trip where the guides made us tang with the polluted river water without telling us!! The accommodation was average, very small huts, about 30cm foot room past the damp mattresses, not much room to change out of wet water gear...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank KateHHH
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Our family did a one day rafting trip w/RBC to introduce our 8 yr olds to rafting. They liked it so much we then did a two day rafting trip from Pohkara to Chitwan with them. We were all in our own raft (we are a family with 4 kids) and felt very safe even though we had little to no experience rafting. By the time we were finished we had gone through level 4 rapids.

Ram's Nepalese guides and safety kayakers were very professional and well trained. On one tricky part of the river Ram not only sent two safety kayaks with us but came with us to make sure we negotiated the rapids safely. Ram and his Swedish wife have two adorable children who our kids loved playing with and add to the family atmosphere. We stayed at their base camp for the overnight and the straw huts are tiny but sufficient and the views are wonderful. The only thing I would say needs improvement is the food!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I traveled to RBC as a solo female for a week of Kayaking lessons. I was a little nervous at first as of this but it turned out brilliantly. I had an amazing time here. The staff were all very nice and welcoming. They made me feel comfortable and I had a great time making new friends. The lessons were fantastic and I even learnt how to do an eskimo roll! My instructors were as excited about it as I was, which was really nice.
The food was really nice simple food and there was always more then enough. The location of the camp is amazing and I think the huts and showers really suited the ambiance of the location. It just would not have been the same with a conventional motel. The grounds were immaculate. One of the highlights of my stay was playing soccer with the local kids on the beach.
I would highly recommend this to anybody!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank bissonK

Been to Royal Beach Camp? Share your experiences!