“Good value set lunch in pleasant surroundings”

No photo provided
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Slightly faded hotel close to Tintern Abbey but serving good quality food. The set lunch was good value at £10.95 for 2 courses with a good range of choices, and the service friendly. We sat in the garden which was pleasant.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I like the Royal George and have a soft spot for the old place. I even had my wedding reception there. I have visited a lot over the last 10 years and was saddened by the decline in the food choice and quality. The menu was quite frankly less than I would expect in a Harvester, and both my wife and I struggled to choose a meal. But, out of affection for the old girl we made our choices. Wrong choice - we should have gone elsewhere! Sadly the food was less than I would have expected from a mediocre cafe. AlanK578 must have been to a different Hotel because I think the chefs main contribution was the 3663 'Ping' touch.
The final nail was listening to the propriator explaining to an Irish lady that proper Irish coffe always has a gloop of frozen whipped cream on top.
Very sad - this was once a nice place for a nice meal, good quality food, nice atmosphere. Now the only thing unchanged is the decor.
Hope it improves - but won't hold my breath!

1  Thank DessertMonster
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We arrived very late and nothing was too much trouble, as it did not matter we were the last guests at table

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Brilliant Chef who delivers excellent meals. The choice of meals can be a little overwhelming, but once you get used to the menu, the quality and quantity is five star. If you want less on your plate, just ask.