“Great location, Best Western may not be best”

Best Western Royal George Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tintern
Reading
“Great location, Best Western may not be best”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Great location but only worth staying if you get a much better deal than we did.

We paid £90 for a family room on a "Best Price Promise" promotion which, it turns out, wasn't the best price at all so don't be fooled by Best Western like I was: you only have 48 hours (in small print) to find a cheaper deal.

We had a garden-room which was motel-like but quite adequate although you might expect a bit more for the price. The bed wasn't very comfortable and the shower a bit temperamental. It was nice to be able to sit outside in the garden to eat our sandwiches on the picnic tables.

Breakfast was tasty although accuracy and portion size could have been better and last food orders are 9:30am even on a Sunday.

Overall, although we enjoyed our stay and the staff were very hospitable, I would suggest that it may be worth investigating one of the other hotels or B&Bs near by for the price we paid.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Egonwho, Owner at Best Western Royal George Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
You would not believe how difficult it has ben to respond to you through the complications I have experienced with trip adviser in the last 3 days

First thank you for your feedback we value it

Do you know that all hotels in Best Western are privately owned and managed and all join the brand because we respect it worldwide for reputation and standards

My first concern with your review is that you appear to feel that you were misled by Best Western Price Promise that is aside from you experience with your stay in Tintern

We can see that your reservation was made and cancelled a number of times by different travel agents as far back as march 2012. Sometimes on a Room Only basis, others including breakfast, sometimes for 2 people, sometimes for 1 and sometimes for 3. We are concerned that you found all this confusing.

Various internet sites can be...We suggest that another time it might be best to use Best Western only or even contact a hotel direct and speak to a receptionist.

However we can tell you that the normal rate for 1 night Saturday with 3 Breakfasts is £110.00
So at £90.00 you have actually received a good deal.

The best value rates at this hotel are inclusive of dinner & breakfast for a stay of 2 nights or more

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
North West, England
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Returned yesterday after 3 nights at this hotel. Stayed in one of their garden rooms. A bit like a motel at the back of the hotel. Very convenient for us with our dog. Rooms are apparently being modernised although ours wasn't. But saying that it was absolutely fine although I would prefer a duvet rather than wooly blankets on the bed. Staff were very nice as was the breakfast except for our last morning when we had a long wait to be served. Did mention this at reception who apologised but this was due to new staff. You do also get a free newspaper left at each table in the mornings which is a nice touch.
Breakfast though finishes though at 9.30am which I personally think is a bit early when you ate on holiday especially at the weekends. I did also point this out to reception who said it had always been this time. I have stayed in many hotels where breakfasts finished t 10.00am and even in some places at 10.30am especially at weekends.
We did not eat here in the evenings because I did not like the menu. A main meal was on average of about £12-15 which I feel is a bit steep. Dog are allowed in rooms but not anywhere else not even in the bar. The bar is very old fashioned and looks more like a lounge area in an old people's home. In fact on the 3 nights we stayed here I walked through and I never saw more than 3 customers.
In this day and age I think dogs should be allowed in the bar area even if they serve bar meals. Wherever we went so many people were so many people were with their dogs. The revenue these places that don't allow dogs must be missing out on a lot of revenue.
They charge £10 per night for a dog which I think is the high end of some places we have stayed in.
No sky tv just free view and a very small tv.
Would we stay here again? Yes we would but would prefer better bedding.

Room Tip: Don't know what the rooms were like in main hotel. However if you are a dog owner or a smoker th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Having stayed at the George a number of times I find this trip very dissapointing ,the room was damp with mildew on the inner curtain,the bathroom floor would not dry and there was damp in the wardrobe wall and u could hardly open the wardrobe door it had expanded so much with the damp! The room smelt musty and the carpet felt wet I feel this room should be taken out of service at this present time untill these problems are amended and I feel this really was poor value for the money

Room Tip: Make sure you go in refurbished room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Darren873
Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

I love everything about this hotel, the bar, restaurant and location more than anything and if I was to have a moan it would only be for them to spruce up the rooms a little. It is the most peaceful of locations and I have stayed winter and summer and enjoyed both. The food in the restaurant is excellent and the service is always with a smile. The quality of guest is also a bonus as everyone who has been there during my many stays have been pleasant and polite and a pleasure to socialise with.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Siggiewi, Malta
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My wife and I were touring the area in early July of this year.

We were recommended the restaurant of this hotel and normally I do take heed of good recommendations.

When we arrived, even though very early at 6:30pm with very few people for dinner, we were asked to wait if they could take our reservation. After a few minutes waiting in the bar, we were advised that they could. However, there were few people actually eating that evening, so to be honest I do not know what the fuss was all about.

The food and wine order was made. Food was very good and the wine we ordered complemented the food greatly. We have absolutely no complaints in the food that we were served. Prices are a tad on the high side though for my liking.

What irked me the most was the fact that the wine was served and none of the waitresses waiting upon us bothered to open it and let us taste the wine first, as is the practice in many countries.

This is our dining experience of the Royal George Hotel.

The ambience is very much in keeping with the area. It is quaint and a good base for any holidaymaker to tour the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Holstebro, Denmark
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Hotel is close to Cardiff and nearby Chepstow, just some few miles from the motorway. Hotel is located in Tintern in the most beautiful valley, river and green and steep hills nearby what a view.
Main building looks fantastic and therefor the rooms in the garden was a bit disapointing although in a green garden and no problems with trafic noise, Rooms were clean but could together with the bathroom need an update. Staying at this hotel it is a must , to take a 5 minuts walk to the Tintern Abbey !!!!! The hotel staff was very friendly and giving good info. Small restaurant with very nice food of a high quality and served very well and again well informed by a proff staff. Very nice lounge to have the coffe after dinner and even the bar was have a large range of beer, spirits and wine. After a good nigths sleep, a good welsh breakfast. Can only recomend this hotel ,specialy based on the location,dinner and the fantastic staff and will for sure stay here agian when in the area.-

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Hutton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed for one night on business.

Rooms do not reflect the main building, being block at the rear resembling a motel/Butlins type setup.

Room was clean, large, with a nice big comfy bed but decor very dated.

TV with an iPod/iPhone docking station was a nice touch.

Room was very warm and a little musty.

Staff very friendly and accomodating, breakfast was very good with a great cup of Welsh tea.

Would I stay again? For convienice yes but nothung to really draw me back.

Room Tip: Some rooms do have a balcony if thats what you are looking for
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tintern
Tintern Old Rectory B&B
The Speech House Hotel
The Speech House Hotel
#1 of 3 in Coleford
Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel

Been to Best Western Royal George Hotel? Share your experiences!