“Wonderful Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tintern
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

Chose this hotel because of it's location in the Wye Valley. Greeted by a friendly receptionist who ensured that we were settled in our room and advised what was available within the hotel.
Our room was well prepared, spacious,clean and cosy overlooking the garden area.
Every member of staff that we met was friendly and helpful, with great service levels!
The restuarant offered a very good choice and the food and service was marvellous, most of the food seemed to be locally source; the cheese board was particularly good with all local cheeses!
The breakfast choice was again very good with local produce and attentive staff.
A marvellous hotel for a relaxing break in a pleasant part of the country.
A return visit is definately on the cards!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank friday68

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

As we had such a great time here for our wedding it was only natural to come back on our 1st anniversary with some of our friends for a meal and get together. James, Sammie and the staff were wonderful and made our time very special once again. All I can say is roll on next year.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

I stumbled upon this hotel when I needed somewhere to stay for a business trip. Having never been to the area before, I was pleasantly surprised by the scenery and in particular Tintern Abbey. I had made a mental note to return for a spot of photography before realising that I was in a hotel only 100 metres away! The hotel screams character both on the inside and out - the current picture doesn't do it justice. The staff were lovely and helpful and stopped to chat where they had the time. I was seated in the bar for a drink until my table was ready for dinner and I was collected by a friendly waitress. The food was lovely and although it wasn't cheap, the portions were large.

I was lucky enough to have one of the garden rooms on the bottom floor - an ample sized room with windows all along the front of the room with a view of the garden. The room was very clean and welcoming and although it was advertised as a double, the bed was king sized. The room had a small flat screen television (complete with iPod dock) on a moveable stand as well as a sitting area. There was a selection of drinks, including tea, coffee, hot chocolate and also cup-a-soups. The bathroom also had two sets of good quality complimentary toiletries.

Having visited alone, I would definitely consider returning with my husband for a relaxed weekend away. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden room
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Spuriosity
Maple Plain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

My wife and I stay here for a few days every September when we attend a military re-union in Chepstow. After a ten hour flight followed by a four hour drive its an uplifting experience to arrive at the Royal George and be greeted by the excellent management and staff. The accomodation is very comfortable and the location is beautiful. The food is first class and its so relaxing to enjoy a drink or two either in the very friendly atmosphere of the bar or [weather permitting] sitting outside in the pretty garden with the wonderful views. No hotel in the vicinity can compare with the Royal George!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank Tony M
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

Had an excellent lunch at the Royal George a few years back on our way through Tintern and found both the food and the inn itself worthy of a second go round.

As we generally stop only at our favourite bookshop and then continue on without staying the night or exploring the Abbey, we determined to make the tiny village on the lovely River Wye a night's destination.

We arrived early on a drizzly afternoon, parked in the carpark and went in to Reception to find no one behind the desk. Someone noticed us and directed us to the Bar where the Reception lady was serving double duty as the Bar Maid. She served the drinks to her waiting customers then came and assisted our check-in.

Our room was out back, reached by a covered walkway dressed out in hanging plants in abundant bloom, dripping and lush that wet afternoon. Our room was basic but comfortable, a double bed and a twin bed, ensuite, a flat screen tv on a little stand down close to the floor.

Two wicker arm chairs were placed in front of the tv, a few utitlity lights were along the walls. If I have a complaint about UK hotels and inns, it would be that lighting seems an afterthought and when it is thought about, utilitarian, ie. just enough light to keep from knocking into the furniture, seems the order of the day. Rarely is there enough light to read by at night.

Grabbing our brollys we set off down the main drag through town, stopping first at a gift shop across from the hotel where we found, and purchased, some very nice items. Interesting shop.

As we returned to the hotel in the gathering gloom, the rain began in earnest. Stopped back at the room to look at our newly acquired treasures, then dressed for dinner and proceeded to the Snuggery, living up to its name, snug and cozy as the rain and the night fell outside.

We sipped a glass of wine while we studied the menu, deciding on the filet of Scottish beef with all the trimmings. Our tucked away table in the Dining Room was adorned with roses in a bud vase, nice linens and stemware. Our steaks were good, tender and flavourful. No sauce of any kind was offered with the meat. None. Bearnaise at the minimum should accompany a good cut of beef. Or at least be available.

Lingered a while at our table, enjoying the air of countrified gentility in the candlelit dining room, its thick stuccoed walls painted a pale creamy yellow.

Beds were just okay, matteresses hard and lumpy, coils seemingly just below the surface. But then I always was the Princess and the Pea.

Breakfast the next morning was in the same pretty dining room, now flooded with bright sunlight.

The same waitress who had attended everyone at dinner the night before was now waiting tables at breakfast! It was too much for one person to do, we waited without coffee for 25 minutes before we were brought warmish coffee and cold toast.

Otherwise the Full English--or Welsh in this case I suppose--was very good, even the black pudding had good flavour.

We checked out of the Royal George and spent the morning exploring marvelous Tintern Abbey as a chilly wind blew the clouds back in. No rain this time though.

In spite of some understandably slow and uneven service at breakfast, the two staff members we had interaction with, the waitress and the Receptionist/Bar Maid, were polite and courteous.

When next we stay in Tintern, we'll stay at the Royal George.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room off the garden.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank StickyToffee
Dereham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

How many times do you see hotels entice you in with the words `dogs welcome' only to find that the word `tolerated' should have been used instead of `welcome'. Not so at the Royal George. How wonderful to stay in a really comfortable hotel and be able to relax with our `pooches'. We ate in the restaurant on both nights of our stay and were told that there was no problem with us leaving the dogs in our room while we relaxed and enjoyed our super evening meals. Such a treat when travelling with pets to have a bit of time in lovely surroundings enjoying a pre-dinner drink in the lounge followed by a relaxed dinner. The gardens of the hotel are easily accessible and I was surprised that the hotel had not made more of its proximity to Tintern Abbey - glorious walks after a tasty breakfast (plenty of choice of the menu). What a gem - we will return.

Room Tip: For people with dogs the ground floor bedrooms are ideal if you need to take them out late at night...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patricia B
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

I had read all of the reviews on this site before I stayed at this hotel and from some of the negative ones had prepared myself for the best.

I stayed for one night for the purpose of attending my friends wedding at the Abbey hotel a short walk away.

Someone had likened the hotel rooms to one of those Butlin's chalets, and I happen to agree that it does resemble that from the outside. The decor in our room was quite old fashioned but I found it rather quirky with the doors being wallpapered! :-D

However, if you can look past all that, the amenities provided by the hotel were rather good. Such as, an umbrella being available for your use and room service. The garden was beautiful and I very much enjoyed looking out on to it from the balcony of my room. The bed was huge!!!! I was not expecting such a big bed and thoroughly enjoyed sleeping in it. It was very very comfortable too.

As all of my needs were taken care of , and I had no problems during my short stay, I had little involvement with the staff, however, from what I did experience of them, they were very polite and happy to help with anything for a fig you needed. I couldn't ask for more!

Tintern Abbey is very close!!! and well worth a look!!!

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay, would go again! If you're looking for a five star, this hotel isn't for as it isn't a five star! You get what you pay for and I am happily satisfied!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tintern
Tintern Old Rectory B&B
Parva Farmhouse Riverside Guesthouse
St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clearwell
Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa

Been to BEST WESTERN Royal George Hotel? Share your experiences!