“Highly enjoyable meal”

Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I went here for dinner on a quiet Tuesday evening. The barman was very welcoming and friendly and we soon felt relaxed in the bar, which I believe has been refurbished recently. The food was excellent, my husband especially enjoyed the trio of pork dish and particularly loved the black pudding scotch egg. The goats cheese frittata I had was beautifully presented and quite flavoursome for a vegetarian dish. Other dishes sounded tempting too so I'm sure I will be back here on a regular basis.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We love the Anchor Inn and I remember riding their on my pushbike as a twelve year old from Caldicot and calling in for pop and crisps almost 45 years ago

It is now a bit more upmarket and the food is really nice, well presented and good value

The tea rooms are a must in the summer that sits under the fabulous Tintern Abbey with a nice play ground for children and superb selection of rolls and light snacks.

The pub is well managed and friendly and is also dog-friendly which is a bonus

Great walks, super views and a relaxed almost spiritual atmosphere makes this one of the most beautiful places on the planet - I cannot people moan when they should feel blessed and privilege to enjoy this historic site!

Excellent!!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Visiting the area and called into the Anchor Inn cafe where we we saw we were able to redeem the £3 spent at the car park. A sign in the garden of the Anchor Inn pointed to the "cafe". We sat in the conservatory and were advised by a not particularly friendly waitress that there was no waitress service at the tables and we would have to go to the bar. There was no cafe menu available and no biscuits or cake. Looking now at the website it seems the cafe is really only operational from Spring to the Autumn. I'm sure looking at the other trip advisor reviews that the meals at the inn are good but really think that they ought to consider taking down their cafe sign until they can provide the basics that you would expect in a cafe. All we were asking for was a cup of something and a piece of cake. We spent an extra £3 for 3 cups of tea and came away with the feeling that we had been ripped off.

3  Thank Kim M
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Lovely old pub/diner on the banks of the Wye adjacent to Tintern Abbey, the location is idilic. The refirbished bar and dining areas are lovely, the conservitory room is a little souless, but does have lovely views of the Abbey. To my mind the owner/maitre'd is a little too conservative, he needs to be a little more charismatic and outgoing giving the place a bit of life, its all a bit appologetic. The beers are excellant and the food generally is well cooked if a little staid. Can't understand why there's so little local produce on the menu when the area produces such good produce, Madgetts Farm, no more than three miles away, has a glowing reputation for Duck & Chicken, it made Rick Steins food hero's book, why not have some of their offerings on the Menu? A little immagination could turn an average place into something v.good.

Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

With the abbey of timtern just over the road what a nice spot to fimd a gem of a pub with a lobely menu staff welcome .....