“A pleasant break”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kloof
Durban, South Africa
“A pleasant break”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Our room for our two-night stay at Makaranga was lovely. The spacious bathroom had double basins and a large shower and bath with plenty of hot water. The room had a king size bed and loads and loads of storage space. There were reading chairs and desk chairs (two desks) and the veranda chairs were just as comfortable as the reading chairs. Being set in the large beautiful gardens, it was a very peaceful place and we both slept very well. There were plenty of plug points for all our tech. needs. The restaurant was very pretty with simple wood tables and wood panelling and glass doors onto a sunny deck with moveable shades. The food was very good, a nice range of choices to suit every palate. I'd recommend the "Mak Breakfast". If we'd only been visiting during the day, the sandwich rolls in the Deli looked awesome.

Room Tip: We had an Executive Suite
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I last stayed at Makaranga when it was still African Pride. After several visits, I stopped going due to poor service and indifference from staff. I decided to return on the weekend of 08 / 09 Feb since they've renovated and to hold our Executive meeting there.

What a bad taste! From the moment I walked in, I was met by an unprofessional security guard at reception who practically refused to show me to my room when the receptionist (Thando) asked him to escort me, stating that he "doesn't know where room 27 is; please ask someone else." I had requested one of the executive suites with a full lounge since I was expecting guests in my room, but instead I was booked into a standard suite with no lounge. They managed to relocate me to Suite 30 which is a self-contained apartment.

However, the apartment smelled like it hadn't been used for a while - there was a stack of furniture (conference tables) packed on the hallway right in front of my door. I complained and asked for the furniture to be removed since it was unsightly. After a few back and forth calls, the furniture was eventually removed the next morning when I promised to check-out. I would not expect that kind of tardiness even at a B&B, let alone a lodge of a standard of Makaranga.

The conference facility is beautiful and tranquil, with doors opening to lovely gardens. However, the service is appalling. There was no stationery in the conference rooms i.e. writing pads and pens, and the projector cable had to be changed three times because it wasn't working - causing much disruption to our meeting. The worst experience was at the dining area during dinner, where waitresses kept loudly shouting our guests' names (all the time incorrectly) when bringing food to the table - reminiscing of Spur. I have never before experienced such impersonal and loud service at a formal dining place and I was embarrassed to have my delegates names being butchered.

To my disappointment, when I gave feedback both to the front desk / housekeeping ladies on room conditions and to the restaurant waitresses, I was met with a sulking attitude - and not once did any of the staff (except Thando, to some extent) make us feel welcome. I literally felt unwelcome. Needless to say, I would never recommend Makaranga , or visit the place again. Really a pity since I truly believe it is a beautiful property with amazing gardens.

Archbishop Nzuza
Johannesburg

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Archbishop7
London
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We have been staying at this hotel for a number of years and have observed continually improving levels of service. Staff are more customer focused than ever but that said there is still some way to go. The service in the dining room is slow with the kitchen backing up with orders when the restaurant is full. The food is really good an style wine list is more than adequate.

It is a really great place to stay and if you are looking for a tranquil and relaxed venue for a few days which has easy access to Durban and the upper highway areas - this is it!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This was my 4th stay at Makaranga and I was there with other family members over christmas. This hotel continues to improve all the time and the facilities, space and customer service are all excellent. The room was really big with a huge bathroom with both shower and bath, and a lovely balcony to sit on and enjoy the views over the garden. There are also other spaces like the library bar to go and read a book and relax. The gardens are stunning and the customer service has improved significantly over the past couple of years. This is one of my favourite places to visit.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Johannesburg
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Makaranga and the staff were very helpful and friendly. Our room and bathroom was really big and our view from the balcony was stunning.
Everybody raves about the gardens there but you have to go walk through it to actually believe just how stunning it is.
The food was great but if you are on a schedule it might be a problem.... restaurant service is slow and we waited 2 hours for our breakfast one morning.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Our experience at Makaranga was pleasant besides for 2 small issues:
- we were served blue, off smelling bacon 2 days in a row at breakfast. Now when you have small kids that is very upsetting because they would have eaten it without knowing, but luckily it stank so bad we noticed,
- secondly the beds are too old, soft and flat and need a refurb.

On a positive note, I have never seen such beautiful gardens.

Also if you appreciate art, they have some masterpieces on display.

It was also nice to find a guest house with inter-leading rooms.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Costa D
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed at Makaranga lodge, and was quite impressed by the lush surroundings and beautiful garden upon arrival. Staff were friendly and helpful. Problems though:

1. Bathroom was old and dated
2. Mould from the steam all over the ceilings and was rather unsightly
3. Shower itself old and did not look rather clean
4. Room service menu in room, but we were told by the staff that they only served sandwiches, and meals on menu would only be available much later - why have a room service menu then?
5. Eventually placed an order from the available items, only to have the wrong item delivered.
6. Restaurant service poor, got there only to be left standing around while they figure out on getting us a clean table, although we made a reservation - seemed short staffed as well, as it seemed the manager ended up waiting on us

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gregory M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kloof
Splendid Inn Pinetown
Teremok Marine
#1 of 18 in Umhlanga Rocks
The Concierge Boutique Bungalows
African Pride Audacia Manor Boutique Hotel

Been to Makaranga? Share your experiences!