I had lunch at The Horn with a friend today. We had booked a table inside but as the weather was perfect decided to eat outside under the shaded pergola with stunning views across the Cornish countryside. I have eaten here several times over the years, I even celebrated my 25th wedding anniversary here, but today the experience was truly magical. The setting and tranquility of the place is what makes it so very special, perfect if you fancy a romantic meal for two, celebrating your 80th birthday (as was the lady at the table next to us), or just meeting up with a friend.
Service was excellent, swift, professional but not bothersome - I hate being plagued with constant "is everything alright madam?' Food, as always beautifully presented and tasty although my pork belly lacked a crisp top and the meat was a bit on the dry side (hence the loss of a rating 'blob'), shame. Doesn't put me off from returning though. I have to add, if you haven't visited before, The Horn serves 'pretty' food, not the wholesome and abundant kind - this isn't the place for you if that's what you're after.
Three courses with non alcoholic drinks, tea/coffee and petit fours came to £61, pretty good I think.
Definitely one of the best restaurants in the Tavistock area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Awarded "National Small Hotel of the Year - Silver" in Visit England's 2015 Awards for Excellence, The Horn of Plenty has been thrilling guests for 50 almost years with some of the South West's very best food, drink and accommodation. This independently owned small Country House Hotel and Restaurant has 4 AA stars and 2 AA rosettes for fine dining The hotel stands high on a hill, overlooking 5 acres of beautiful gardens and wild orchards, and beyond that, the breathtaking scenery of the Tamar Valley. 16 stylishly furnished en-suite bedrooms offer outstanding comfort and luxury. Most have balconies overlooking the valley. Food is high on the agenda here, with 90% of produce sourced locally. Service is everything you'd hope for: warm, welcoming, friendly and helpful, without a hint of stuffiness. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Agoda, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Horn of Plenty reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Horn Of Plenty Hotel Gulworthy
- Horn Of Plenty Tavistock
- Horn Of Plenty Hotel Tavistock
- Horn Of Plenty Gulworthy, Devon