We visited for a "gourmet weekend". The ambience, service and welcome were all second to none. A beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting.
Breakfasts were excellent.
The two dinners we thought rather overcontrived and not entirely successful : too much like a "sample" or "taster" menu each time and on neither evening did we find anything exciting or memorable. For us, the food highlights were a demitasse of lobster bisque and a blackcurrant sorbet.
The wines accompanying the meals were carefully chosen and complemented the food well, though by the time we arrived at the cheese course a hefty red was more than I could manage - though my husband enjoyed it, preferring it to the first beaujolais of the meal.
The wine tasting and the sugarcraft classes were interesting and informative.
The staff were unfailingly helpful and very pleasant.
An enjoyable weekend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Awarded "National Small Hotel of the Year - Silver" in Visit England's 2015 Awards for Excellence, The Horn of Plenty has been thrilling guests for 50 almost years with some of the South West's very best food, drink and accommodation. This independently owned small Country House Hotel and Restaurant has 4 AA stars and 2 AA rosettes for fine dining The hotel stands high on a hill, overlooking 5 acres of beautiful gardens and wild orchards, and beyond that, the breathtaking scenery of the Tamar Valley. 16 stylishly furnished en-suite bedrooms offer outstanding comfort and luxury. Most have balconies overlooking the valley. Food is high on the agenda here, with 90% of produce sourced locally. Service is everything you'd hope for: warm, welcoming, friendly and helpful, without a hint of stuffiness. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and HRS so you can book your Horn of Plenty reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Horn Of Plenty Hotel Gulworthy
- Horn Of Plenty Tavistock
- Horn Of Plenty Hotel Tavistock
- Horn Of Plenty Gulworthy, Devon