“Poor choice on our part”

Catlins Gateway Motel
Catlins Gateway Motel
Ranked #5 of 6 Owaka B&B and Inns
Oamaru
“Poor choice on our part”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We arrived in Owaka late afternoon after having a rock smash through our windscreen, not a good start.The minder just took our surname wrote it in a book and I paid up. There wasn't any milk she hadn't been to the store! The unit wasn't especially clean and the carpet stained. The lightbulbs in the kitchen had blown. Only channel 1 could be found on the TV. No extra bedding there was only a thin continental blanket on the bed we were cold. [and there was a hard frost that night].No telephone in the unit and didn't appear to be anyone in reception after dark. We were completely alone!
We were told there wasn't any hurry to check out as she wouldn't be there until after the bus run.

After a cold and uncomfortable night we couldn't wait to leave, such a shame really as it was a lovely small place. We did enjoy a meal at the local cafe where the hosts couldn't have been friendlier.

Room Tip: Have a look first to see what you are getting
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank fortyfivesouth

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Europe
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Last February my mother and I were driving down from Dunedin to the Catlins region without knowing where we would stop to sleep. In addition it was pouring.
When we reached Owaka, a small and quite village, it was already a little bit late in the afternoon, so we just stopped at the first motel we saw: the Catlins Gateway Motel.
I got off the car, I entered the reception unit, I asked them if they had any available unit, they said yes, they told me the price, I said ok, they asked me what my surname was, I spelled it, I paid, I got the key, I went back to the car, we drove ten meters to our unit, we parked and we occupied it. I was really surprised and fascinated that the owners relied on us and our behaviour by just only asking our surname and being paid. They didn't ask for any credit card details at all or others, this was how the business was done. So for me this was a nice start because I really appreciate when strangers rely on me.
In regards to the unit where we stayed, this was modern, roomy, very clean, well equipped and comfortable. In the outside there was the parking just in front of the door and, on the other side, there was a grassy garden with some sheep grazing (very bucolic). The area, in general, was very quite and relaxing. At least this seems to be the general atmosphere in Owaka, a very small village with a limited number of shops and restaurants (but there are a few, no risk of starving).
With reference to the Catlins region, I found Owaka to be a good first place to stop when driving through this region from east to west. Therefore I say that I would certainly sleep here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Gwaladar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Owaka
Catlins Newhaven Holiday Park
Kaka Point Luxury Spa Accommodation
Owaka Lodge Motel
Owaka Lodge Motel
#1 of 1 in Owaka

Been to Catlins Gateway Motel? Share your experiences!