All reviews the pub checking out fish and chips new owners large portions full english lovely food lovely place steamers balcony menu dog village robinsons ales lakes starters
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Sorry to see things haven't improved much since my partner and I had the misfortune to stumble across this place. At first glance looked great - attractive building in nice setting, gorgeous lounge with open fire.
When we booked in we paid cash for the room at £100 for B&B. The Australian lady who booked us in was persistant about obtaining a credit card number from us in spite of us paying cash.
We were shown to a first floor front facing room with balcony and en suite. The room was dusty and festooned with cobwebs and not as fresh as we'd expect.
The evening menu appeared to have a large number of 'a la ping' (micro wave) and ready made components which made for a speedy service which is really only acceptable at pub grub prices.
We were told the bar would be closing at 10.30pm at 10.25 and asked if we wished to order another drink before the bar closed which we were welcome to take into a bleak unheated pool room to finish. I asked for a Bailey's which I decided I could finish in 5mins only to be told that there wasn't a full measure left and that she didn't have time to go to te cellar for another bottle.
We made our way upstairs earlier obviously than planned feeling a bit cheesed of with the lack of service for the money that we had paid. I decided to go out for a short walk as I wasn't ready to sleep this early and on returning 20 mins or so later the front door was all locked up and a note with a phone number pinned to it. The lady who answered the phone said she would have to come from Penrith to let me in as there were no staff on the premises between 10.30 and 7am in the winter!!!
The following morning we came down for breakfast at 9.30 only to be told that there was a notice (obscured) behind our door telling us that breakfast was served until 9.15 only and that we were too late as the breakfast chef has finished and was gone!!!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jcdettbarn
Reviewed February 10, 2008

First impressions were good but the room wasn't what appeared on the website. It was very small and dusty, the carpet hadn't seen a vacuum for some time, especially around the skirting board. We reported the shower tray being blocked, it took 2 days to fix it.

We weren't aware of the bar's winter opening hours (closed between 3 - 6). The atmosphere in the bar could have been improved with some music that wasn't turned off at 9.30. The advertised opening times of the bar aren't necessarily correct, they can close early, even on a Friday night. The quality of service was mixed depending on who was serving you. Unfortunately the Manager made you feel that everything was too much trouble. The food varied in quality. Basically there are a lot of inconsistancy in this Inn.

There are 2 other pubs in the village where there is a good atmosphere and friendly service.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Good Points

Cosy downstairs at the bar sat in front of an open fire and next to a wonderful Christmas tree on a cold and windy December night.

Friendly barman.

Bad Points

Our room was dusty with cobwebs hanging from light fittings, the carpet had not been hoovered in a while, the shower head was covered in grime and an ashtray full of cigarette butts was waiting for us on the balcony.

Food - I only ordered a basket of chips but these were served with an assortment dead flies. No I am not kidding. Even the condiment containers handed to me were in desperate need of a clean. A rare occurrence I am sure but it does make you wonder about kitchen cleanliness. The lad that worked behind the bar was very apologetic.

Conclusion

In comparison to other accommodation in the Lake District the Pooley Bridge Inn is overpriced (off season) even before you consider its shortcomings above. My friend and I were booked in for two nights but left after one. We had a far superior stay at Winder Hall in Low Lorton on our second night.

No doubt with the right management the Pooley Bridge Inn could be a wonderful place to stay, however, I would advise caution at the moment.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MrsSixx96
Reviewed December 2, 2007

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 10, 2007