“Just plain down-to-earth excellence” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Granny Dowbekin's

Granny Dowbekin's
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Granny Dowbekin's is a traditional English tearoom and tea garden at the Northern tip of Ullswater and by the River Eamont. In the summer we are open every day from 9am and take last orders for food at 7pm. Breakfast, main meals and homemade cakes and scones are served all day. We always offer a selection of vegetarian, gluten free and dairy free options as part of the menu as well as smaller portions for children and those with smaller appetites. For our full menu and prices please have a look at our website. We welcome walkers, cyclists and well behaved dogs. Bookings for groups of up to 40 persons are welcome. Granny Dowbekin's is licensed to serve alcohol from 12pm when accompanied by food. Free wifi is available.
North West England
“Just plain down-to-earth excellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

We called at Pooley Bridge for lunch when touring around the Ullswater area. All choices looked good but Granny Dowbekin's had character and individuality. A good meal but above all really pleasant and helpful staff. I bought one of their pictures and thought I had lost it. Wrote to them to ask if it was possible to replace and had a really helpful reply within minutes. Not that that reflects the meal (which was good anyway) but it's indicative of the pleasant and relaxed atmosphere, despite it being (justifiably) busy.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Flergen
ColinHindle, Owner at Granny Dowbekin's, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your good time with us, really pleased that you had a relaxing experience despite it being a busy day. Best wishes.

• Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A great find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

We went in for tea/coffee and cakes and were very glad we did. We were shown out to the large and very smart garden terrace by the river. It was very relaxing, with tables well spread out. My wife's scone was perfect - obviously baked that day. I had a cafitiere of great coffee and a really tasty ginger biscuit I chose having had a free sample. The staff were very nice and the new toilets were impressive. I have to say I am totally mystified by the recent negative reviews.

1 Thank Renfrewshireman
ColinHindle, Owner at Granny Dowbekin's, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing for your good time with us. We have invested £100,000 this winter in upgrading the facilities throughout the business, so I appreciate that you enjoyed them. We also were bemused by the recent reviews also so thanks for pointing that out.
Best wishes
welshie in yorkshire
“Great Tea, lovely food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

Had lunch here yesterday, we had a lovely fresh salad, tea and a hot chocolate, staff were lovely and the lunch was perfect, lovely and fresh and the tea came with an additional pot of hot water, perfect. Afternoon tea looked fantastic, we were tempted but too full after our lunch but will return to sample the cakes one day. Thanks.

1 Thank welshie2
ColinHindle, Owner at Granny Dowbekin's, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you so much for taking time to share about your good time with us.
Best wishes
leeds ,UK
“Large garden terrace.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

New toilets, nice outdoor space. Usual tea room fare. It was poor weather so not many people about. Could be very busy in summer and very different!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Regdor
ColinHindle, Owner at Granny Dowbekin's, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Thanks for noticing the new toilets, we have 2 new ones including a wheelchair access one. We have had a total makeover and upgrade this winter including the inside of the tearoom also. Disappointed we only had 3 stars from you as "the usual tea room fare", seems like a criticism. We make all of the cakes and scones and our unique Pooley Gingerbridge on the premises, all of our meats are cooked and prepared here, we use local butchers and offer table service inside and out. Thanks for your visit, hope to see you again.
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
“Not that great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

We stopped here for tea having read all the great reviews so our expectations were high. What we found was nothing out of the ordinary. Yes they serve tea and scones and cakes. The tea was on the weak side and on commenting on that I was told that was how other people liked it, I didn't make my usual retort of I'm not other people I'm me. The scones crumbled on cutting and the cake was rather dry. Having had the response we did about the weak tea we decided not to comment further and left.

3 Thank Phil D
ColinHindle, Owner at Granny Dowbekin's, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Really disappointed we didn't live up to our recent ratings for you, when we receive a bad review I study it to try to learn how we can improve. Thank you so much for pointing out the tea was too weak, the only explanation is that you were given a pot that was too big, or that it wasn't given the 3 or 4 minutes to brew. The response from my waiting staff was not acceptable, can you describe the person please so I can point this out to them, you can reply via our website (I am not allowed to type its address on this reply). I have briefed my team to be vigilant about using the correct size pots. As for the scone we bake them every day fresh, so apologies for it being crumbly. Many thanks for your visit and for taking out your time to review us.