“Disgusting do not eat here!”

The Pooley Bridge Inn
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Disgusting do not eat here!”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We went here one Sunday for a meal, the dining room was empty and we were told to sit wherever we liked. After choosing our table we looked at the menu, which was covered in all kinds of spills, and then after a wait had to look for someone to take our order. Whilst waiting on our food arriving we were then told sorry but this table is now reserved we need to ask you to move, ok but remember the dining room was empty! Our drinks eventually arrived and the waitress spilt one of them on the table as she put it down - and just walked away, so I was left to mop the table. When the food arrived the soup had burnt lumps from the bottom of the pan. The roast beef dinner was absolutely disgusting, the Yorkshire pudding was burnt, the veg had no taste at al,l the mash potatoes were all grey with black bits in and the gravy was just grease. Unfortunately the portions were big, but there was plenty of beef which was ok, at least the dogs liked it when I took them it. Dogs are another thing, now I'm a dog lover I have 2 but I believe dogs have their place and the dining room is not one of them. By the time we had finished our meal there was 4 dogs in the dining room and the waitress, I suppose trying to be friendly, was stroking them as taking orders, then serving our food, where's the food hygiene regulations there? This is the worst meal I have ever had to pay for.

• Visited September 2013
4 Thank I255UBjanep

Teddington, United Kingdom
“Infested with flies, poor food and service”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We had dinner here one night while staying close by. We had tried to go to the Sun Inn over the road but it was very full and so we crossed the road to here where it was quiet. That should have been a warning as it was a pleasant summer evening.

We were shown to a table though there were lots of empty ones but there was an air of insistence that we should sit where we were shown. It wasn't a particularly nice table but we were hungry. A party of four were at an adjoining table and other than that there was no one else eating.

We ordered and sat back. There were quite a lot of staff milling around not really doing anything but there was a lot of giggling going on between them and they were frequently visited by the chef who seemed to be adding to their amusement. One man seemed to be in charge wearing a black shirt while others were wearing blue, he didn't seem to have any authority and in fact he looked rather unkempt and scruffy.

Our food arrived. The actual main dishes were acceptable the vegetables were obviously frozen the main clue being that parsnips are not in season at present and it was accompanied by frozen chips or rather the remains of a bag meaning we had lots of hard bits and very little edible potato.

Then the problems really started, we and the party at the next table were plagued with flies. Complaining, we were told that there were several nests of flies in the wall close to where we were sitting - where we had been told to sit - and that although the staff had reported this, no action was taken.

We left thinking the hygiene standards were not what we would expect and no one wants to risk food poisoning when on holiday.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank longhaulfromlondon
UK
“Nice”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Really enjoyed meal, good value for money and well presented, good size portions. Will return on my next visit, another advantage was trouble free car parking

Visited September 2013
“nice meal nice cosy pub”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I went for a meal with my family last month got to say I loved the pub very cosy set up and friendly staff had a lovely night it was great and the food was lovely I wasn't expecting that I had the belly pork and it was very good thanks for a good night ill be back lol.

• Visited August 2013
Skipton, United Kingdom
“Poor service, unhelpful staff”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had been staying in the area with our daughter, son-in-law and 2 young grandchildren. We tried to book a table but were told they were not taking bookings. When we walked in, however, some hours later, we found numerous tables pre-booked and reserved.

As it was a pleasant evening, took one of the tables outside where there were menus helpfully provided on each table. Having made our selection, I ordered drinks from the bar and made my way to another area of the bar to order food. That I could not order it all at once was the first hint that customer service was not all it should be.

Close to the food ordering station, there was a small blackboard stating that they were only serving food inside the pub or in the courtyard, not on the tables outside. I ordered the food and when asked for a table number, I said we would be transferring to the courtyard given that they were not serving outside. I was then told that they were not serving in the courtyard either. I pointed to the blackboard and received a shrug. Another member of staff then came out and laid the blackboard on its side. When I asked about the reservations and why we were not able to book, all I got was another disinterested shrug. My conversation was held with a junior member of staff who several times referred my questions to someone more senior (the Manager?) for answers but at no time did this person come over, explain their policy, offer any apologies. We eventually got our money returned for the drinks and left.

This was a shabby experience from a pub whose staff clearly don't care about customers or the dreadful customer experience they provide. We will not be going there again.

By the way, the Crown over the road is, if anything, even worse. Try the Sun Inn which seems to have much better reviews (but offers limited vegetarian options).

• Visited August 2013