“A pleasant surprise”

Clearwater Sanctuary Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batu Gajah
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I took the ETS train from KL and enjoyed the easy and comfortable ride which took only 2.5 hours to get to Batu Gajah Station. The clearwater shuttle was at the train station on time to shuttle me over which took onlly 10 mins. I had read some of the past comments which were lukewarm and had not expected much from the accomodation and facilities.
However, I was pleasantly surprised to find the room I stayed in spacious, and everything in good working condition, but most importantly it had a great view overlooking a serene and beautiful lake.

Although I stayed for only one night, I had a chance to pay a quick visit to some of the sports facilities which would definitely keep me and my daughters busy over a weekend. I would bring my family here on my next trip for sure. Ashame I do not play golf as the course seemed inviting.
After my business meeting, I headed to the Lakeside Terrace for dinner and had some seafood pasta which was yummy, while breakfast was pretty basic but acceptable. Some local flavours like nasi lemak and an egg station would be a nice and welcomed addition.

There are some common areas which have been upgraded by Clearwater and others that are being looked into from what I can see. I am sure once they have completed their refurbishments and add on a few personal touches, it would make it popular getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
9  Thank Ed N
There are newer reviews for Clearwater Sanctuary Golf Resort

Reviewed August 16, 2011

Called resort for any weekday deals, and got the wrong information. After check in only someone called and told me its exactly double the prize as I was told previously. That's a rather large mistake. As a graceful gesture for the resort's mistake I got exactly nothing. Although the front desk lady at check in was lovely, the Indian guy mentioned below for lack of charm needs indeed develop some customer friendly skills.

Golf course is nice but no more than that, and overprized. Par 3 course very nice for kids, but not maintained in a long time. Extreme wild boar damage, scruffy greens.
There is a lot of stuff to do for everyone, but on the whole I found it all overprized. Can get better value for money at Lumut, or Kijal for instance.
Wont go there again.

See also gilagolf review: http://gilagolf.net/malaysian-golf-courses/clearwater-sanctuary-golf-resort-perak/

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank martyn n
Reviewed July 20, 2011

6 of us visited - 4 golfers and 2 non-golfers. The natural setting and the physical infrastructure were impressive. However, apart from that, we were MOST disappointed with the MANAGEMENT, SERVICE, MAINTENANCE OF FACILITIES. For example:

- golf course - the greens were not maintained properly and the golfers were disappointed at the standard of maintenance. Their comment - "certainly not of international standard".

- villa check-in reception - the staff at the reception were totally useless. They saw our cars coming and stopping in front of them. They saw us (girls) unloading luggage and didn't offer to help. They just sat inside and watched. After we unloaded and went in to the counter, then they told us that we can take the cars directly to the villa to unload. Why couldn't they have come and told us when they saw us struggling with the lugggage? So, we had to re-load all the luggage in our cars again - and once again, they didn't even help us.

- villa - very basic. Patio not very clean. Overlooking a lovely lake, but there was rubbish in the lake. TV not working. When we called the maintenance guy - he couldn't solve the problem. Some of the electrical sockets in the room also didn't work.

- sports facilities - this was the most SHOCKING.
(a) we asked for a tennis coach since they seemed to be a "Tennis Academy". He was on leave. Asked for him the next morning - he only comes in at 1 pm (too late since we are checking out). Most disappointing.
(b) we wanted to play badminton. We went to the pro shop to book and get rackets and shuttlecocks. THIS WAS MY WORST EXPERIENCE IN A HOTEL. The lady at the counter was unhelpful, slow, and unfriendly. She gave us shuttlecocks that were SO OLD and IN SUCH BAD CONDITION that it was shameful. When I asked for new ones - she said (in a very unfriendly tone) that they were the only ones that the coach / manager had given her. I asked her to tell the coach / manager that the guests (i.e. ourselves) would like to complain about the condition of the shuttlecocks. We were not scolding her - but just asking her to pass a message along to management. Instead of agreeing to do so, she began to SHOUT AT ME. Can you imagine, a hotel staff SHOUTING at a guest. I was amazed. I told her to stop shouting at me - but instead she yelled "I AM NOT SHOUTING AT YOU. I ALREADY TOLD YOU THESE ARE THE ONLY SHUTTLECOCKS". Amazing behaviour. I couldn't believe it. There should be NO circumstances at all where a staff of a hotel can shout at a guest.

(c) swimming pool - the site and pool are lovely but poorly maintained. The toilet in the changing room couldn't flush. The swimming pool was full of leaves. The deck chairs were not clean and in a very old and poor condition. The floor of the swimming pool was full of sand.

So, it gets an average rating from me because the site and surroundings are lovely, but spoilt by bad service and maintenance.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
10  Thank kkaur
az542, Manager at Clearwater Sanctuary Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thanks for coming to Clearwater. We will keep on improving all weakness area in our resort and hope you all will be happy and enjoy your next visit to Clearwater. Have a good day and see you again next time

Reviewed July 3, 2011

Stayed 4 nights in this resort.

Very good experience for my family. We saw otter , chameleon , different birds ... tried archery , cycling , fishing ,canoe ...

Food podium was closed for renovation.

Spa is not bad.

We are planning for our next trip to this resort again.

Room Tip: remember to bring insect repellent.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank AnnaLenaS
Reviewed April 21, 2011

Stayed here for 1 nite, it is located near Batu Gajah. Not sure how to classify this place as it is not a hotel but moreof a chalet type accomodation. The room is clean with free wifi. very quiet beside. good facilities for outdoor activities - golf, tennis, swimming pool and gym. Good for those who prefer to go to forest type outing and have sports activities. nothing much at nite. just relax and rest.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank aimantakkisah
Reviewed February 18, 2011

The reviews are faithful to the experience. This is a comfortable fairly basic but satisfactory accommodation in an unusual waterside setting. Being located over the lake has certain implications (mosquitos etc), but the setting is tranquil and pleasant. The accommodation shows signs of significant use but is spacious and comfortable. Ideal for sports minded but cusuine wise it is rather basic, adequate but in no ways elaborate - food can be taken in the (informal) club house terrace. Take drinking water for use in the room as none is provided. I would stay again. Thanks to the staff who were all very helpful and kind.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank TechnoProf
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Drive there will be really helpful. .... rooms and lobby and restaurants are spreaded over a large area. Buggy is available to drop guests but then, I suppose there'll be waiting time, compared to driving your own. Rooms are wonderfully spacious and the staffs are very friendly. They arranged a connecting room for us [my husband & I and my nephew & my brohter in the next]. Ours oversee a lake, where the movie-shooting scene for Anna & The King is over the concrete-fence of a hole along the course. We saw the roofs of the buildings.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
#6 of 63 in Ipoh
MU Hotel
MU Hotel
#8 of 63 in Ipoh

Been to Clearwater Sanctuary Golf Resort? Share your experiences!