“Isolated Bad Experience?”
Review of China Coast Restaurant - CLOSED

China Coast Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed July 30, 2014

After looking at the huge variety of restaurants in the Rothesay/Quispamsis area we chose this small chinese place hoping to satisfy our cravings. We walked in and found they had a buffet but it was to be closed down in 15 minutes. We decided to order off the menu because we figured the food would be fresher. We ordered hot tea and a Diet Pepsi while we looked at the menu. I asked our waitress about the Shanghai Thick Noodles and she told me she had no idea what it was. She explained that most people ordered off the buffet and it would take her 14 years to learn everything on the menu because it was so big. I asked her if she would please find out what was in the Shanghai Noodles and she left to ask.

That's when I noticed she had brought me a Pepsi instead of Diet. When she returned, she explained what was in the Singapore Vermicelli... not at all what I asked about. We gave up and ordered Beef & Broccoli, Chicken Wings, and Egg Rolls. I also asked for a Diet Pepsi. She promptly left to put in our order, then walked over to the buffet, pulled off two egg rolls and brought them to our table. So much for ordering off the menu in order to get fresh food...

While we waited for our meal, our waitress talked to another employee about how she couldn't wait until she got off work so she could put on her pajamas and have a beer. I don't really need to know this but I guess she figured all the buffet customers were gone for the night so it was ok.

After 10 minutes our chicken wings were delivered. These were absolutely delicious! Still steaming from the oil, and crispy chicken goodness. I do not normally see chinese chicken wings with a coating but these had a very light crust and it worked very well! After another 5 minutes our Beef & Broccoli was delivered. It was clearly prepared fresh. The vegetables were bright and crispy, the meat was tender with just a few spots of gristle. Unfortunately, it was oddly tasteless. The sauce was lacking in normal oriental spicing but was pumped with salt, maybe MSG. After seeing the dish, our hopes were high, but it was a let-down. The buffet-leftover egg rolls were lukewarm, crispy on the outside, but filled with unrecognizable mush.

This may have been simply a bad experience, but I do know it was a BAD experience. We are not from the area and were only there for the night but I cannot recommend this place unless you are looking for fresh chicken wings.

2  Thank aaronmhuotari